Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!

This post is especially for my loyal blog readers...that's YOU! Because you are so special (and my lovely husband forgot to add the people that he works with, to whom he must do a little derriere kissing, to the Christmas card count) my creative solution is to give you a very special blog Christmas card. Since I know that you are all the coolest people in the universe, I am confident none of you will feel that I am rude or cheap. (Well, I am cheap, but that isn't the reason for your digital greeting.) So, without further ado, your Wilkins Christmas Greeting...



The Wilkins Family Quiz - 2008

1. At this time last year, we received an unexpected phone call including a very loaded question. Who was it from and what did they ask?
a. Publisher’s clearinghouse. Wondering when we would like to receive our winnings.
b. The US Attorney’s Detroit Office. Requesting that Barrington take a position with them ASAP. After all, they needed an answer quickly since the interview was two years ago.


2. The family’s reaction after the call was:
a. Why, yes, we would love to move away from all of our family and friends.
b. Not over our dead bodies, they should’ve called two years ago.
c. The most dangerous city in the country, we’ve ALWAYS wanted to live there.

3. After much discussion, prayer, debate, and two trips to Detroit we decided to take a chance. In May we said goodbye to our loved ones, packed up our belongings, rented our house and drove ten hours north to Troy, Michigan all because:
a. It is Barrington’s dream job.
b. There will be an opportunity to transfer to any state in a few years.
c. The US Attorney of Michigan had so much faith in Barrington’s abilities. (He promptly left the position three months after our arrival.)
d. All of the above

4. Some of the things we like about our new home are:
a. The bees that mysteriously enter our family room several times a day.
b. The broken garage door that forces us to carry our trash through the house on collection day.
c. The fact that all of our neighbors’children are grown.
d. The city was voted as the safest city in Michigan.
e. The summer and the city pool where Denise and the boys spent much of our time.
f. The housing prices are so much lower that we pay the same amount for a home three times as big.
g. Our neighborhood school is wonderful and Jackson’s class has only 14 students in it.
h. It snows nearly every day and we haven’t seen the sun or the blue sky in weeks...and it’s COLD!

5. Jackson is now five and loving his Kindergarten class. He has had fun this year:
a. learning to swim
b. going to basketball camp
c. watching Canadian PBS
d. chasing and tormenting his little brother.
e. being the star soccer player on his first official sports team.
f. learning to read and write
g. finding and devouring his father’s junk food stash within one day even if the stash is moved periodically.
h. missing play dates and having young friends close to our home.

6. Luke, who is 16 months old, spends his free time:
a. splashing, and even once bathing, in any toilet he can get to.
b. walking
c. standing in air vents.
d. crawling around the house with shoes on his hands.
e. being chased and tormented by his big brother.
f. standing on tables and chairs.
g. All of the above

7. In October, Denise’s routine doctors visit revealed:
a. That her pants wouldn’t be getting so tight if she would just stop eating so much.
b. That her emotional outbursts were due to a mental illness issue.
c. That she was “probably” close to three months pregnant.
d. That her mother was right. She did grow up, and will now get a taste of her own medicine having two children in under two years.
e. That the baby will probably be born in May but that it could be April, or even March.

8. At church, Denise is serving in the primary supporting a young man who has Autism. Barrington is in the Young Men’s Presidency. He declined to go to one of the most recent activities, which was:
a. Collecting canned goods for the homeless.
b. Playing basketball.
c. Skinning a dear.

9. What we love most about this time of the year:
a. The fact that in Michigan people start celebrating the season by putting their lights up and playing holiday music on the radio 24 hours a day before Halloween.
b. Being able to stay in touch with people that we love...YOU.
c. Celebrating the birth of our wonderful Savior.

Answers: 1. B; 2. B; 3. D; 4. D-g; 5. A-g; 6. G; 7. C-E; 8. C; 9. B&C

Thanks for understanding. I love getting comments from you all and reading your blogs about your wonderful lives and adorable families. Have a very happy Christmas!

19 comments:

Malin said...

What a great idea Denise! I loved reading your quiz, wish I was that inventive...
Have a safe trip. And I do read your every posting.

Malin and family

*~Petra~* said...

I LOVE your family pic. So cute. I wish you a very merry Christmas too! :)

Michelle said...

I like the format you chose for your "letter"! Happy holiday greetings to you! No blame or guilt should be felt whatsoever for the digital greetings! I think that's more than we're doing. Mabye in the next week I'll feel up to it...but maybe not :).
As far as the laptop vs. desktop goes, I've been happy so far with the portability of the laptop. I think desktops have more memory space, but I guess it's all in what you're looking for. Organizing my files has been a bit of a pain, but not due to the actual computer, just do to having to put them on a new computer in general. Really I just have to learn about the new featurs of this one, since my old one was from 2003, so there have been many updates since then. But all in all, I think I'm pleased with the purchase. Also, I bought it refurbished from Micro Center, so it was maybe 1/2 the cost of what it would have been new, and it is really just like brand new.

Donna said...

That is a super cute Christmas blog and very clever! If nothing else, the past year has been a huge adventure, right? See you in a few days!

Virginia said...

Really cute idea, Denise! I wish I had thought of that! You won't be getting any cards from us either 'cause
a) we're too cheap
b) I don't want any chubby pix of me being passed around
c) I'm too busy
d) I'm too lazy

answer: a-d.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise, How cute. Loved it and the photo. Can't wait to see you. Love and hugs, Aunt Sue

Natalie said...

What a fantastic idea. LOVE the picture. What a good looking group you are. Even if you are outnumbered, Denise! And I loved the quiz too!!

Corinne said...

You're so stinking funny Denise. I love it - a fantastic post. What a good memory from the year :) Clint and I are thrilled for you and your growing family :) Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Denise I got them all correct. Well I have the inside track. Can't wait for you to get here. Have a safe trip. Love. Dad

emilee jane said...

Best Christmas letter/blog I've ever read!

Scott and Megan said...

That was the greatest christmas card I have yet to receive! I will print your picture and stick it next to the rest of them! You guys all look so adorable! i can't believe you are headed to number 3 THAT IS SO SO SO AWESOME! Have a great Holiday! Love you lots Denise!

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise! We just got your card today! I love your blog! David was really excited to see your family picture, and of course especially excited to see Jackson. I am happy we can keep up with what you guys are doing with this blog. Best wishes for a very merry Christmas! And congrats on the pregnancy -- call me when you are losing your mind with three kids under the age of six. :-)

Child Family said...

Thanks for the laugh!! Merry Christmas, Denise!

couplabz said...

Saw your card at Ellen & Bennette's - Loved it!

Happy Heidi said...

Great christmas letter! I hope your trip went well! I hope to see some wedding pictures!

Karen said...

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Jen said...

Sorry I haven't commented yet. It's been a crazy time these holidays with going out of town and then returning home for family to arrive. I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying your new year. I'm glad you are enjoying your new home. Change can be good:)

Susan said...

Hope you had a great Christmas. Happy New year!

holly b said...

I love your creativity on this Denise! and I think I score pretty well, too. that is a wonderful family portrait. Happy New Year!