I think that I have figured out why I am feeling this way. When I was in elementary school, I loved it. I loved everything about school and I was good at it. I'm pretty sure the only time I got a grade other than an A from kindergarten through sixth grade was in handwriting. All of the teachers loved me. Toot-toot. (That is me beeping my own horn.) I only got in trouble once in all of the years that I was at Hyattsville Elementary School. I was pretending to tie my shoe in the third grade so that I could keep talking to my friend without being noticed. It was quiet time in the cafeteria and I got busted. Mrs. Bacon made me sit on the stage (with all of the "bad" kids.) I was so embarrassed and sad. I probably looked like I was going to cry and she said, "Don't turn on the water works." My principal came by as we lined up to go to where ever the bad kids go instead of recess. Mr. Stoffa was SO tall. From my puny viewpoint he seemed like a giant. I loved him, though. (On St. Patrick's day he wore a tuxedo with tails that was completely green.) Anyway, he saw me in that line and told Mrs. Bacon to let me go. "She's a good one", he said. (It is amazing how vivid that memory is because I don't remember very much from back then. I guess it really made an impact.)
My worry for Jackson is mostly because he is a boy. I have only two sisters, no brothers. My experience with the other half of the population has been fairly limited. Before I had boys, I thought they were just...crazy. Well, I still think they are. I thought that most of their stereotypical male behavior was just because they were behaving badly. Now, after becoming very well acquainted with the male gender, I realize that these alien creatures are just different. They are louder, they are WAY more active and they think gross things are quite interesting (i.e. insects or beating each other) or just plain hilarious (i.e. making your underarm toot). Here is my calm first grader ready to go to school and see his friends. (He didn't ride the scooter to school, he just wanted it in the picture. We have to drive now that we have moved.)
My hope is that Jackson's teacher has boys of her own and that she won't label this normal male behavior as "bad" the way I may have before I became immersed in it. Barrington and I had a long talk with Jackson last night about being nice to other kids and being appropriate at school. Barrington also gave him a father's blessing.
Ultimately, I know Jackson will do well. He seems to be well liked. True, he can be VERY active, loud and precocious, but he is a pretty nice six year old. He can be very sensitive to others. He is polite. He needs to get back to school because he is just plain bored at home and as he learns he will be greatly excited and feel like he is accomplishing something.
He changed his tune as we entered the parking lot and saw massive amounts of cars parked everywhere, even on the grass. It really was a scene. There were even parents who let their kids ride the bus and then drove to the school to wait, cameras in hand, taking pictures as the kids exited. When I asked him if he was nervous he said, "no". But by the time we got to the corner he had progressed from that to, "I am freaked out, terrified AND think I'm going to throw up!" Here he is waiting in Mrs. Held's classroom. Note how the expression has changed.
Luke also started preschool for the first time today. A friend from church who stays at home with her kids and has a degree in early childhood education decided to do a little school at her home for six of the kids from church. Luke already knows the kids from the nursery at church and for the price, I really couldn't say no. Having a couple of hours with just Grant will be nice and just might help me to stay sane. Luke is such a cutie. He only cried twice at school today and walked right out pulling his new Car's backpack all the way to the car.
Daddy was nice enough to take some pictures before he left for work. He didn't have time to be in one himself, though. (He thinks that it is SO important to be to court on time, go figure.)
Grant didn't start school today, but he was thrilled to check out all of the action.
9 comments:
I hope it will be a great school year for Jackson. I noticed some of the "busy bee" tags he had on his desk. Should make him feel at home. Having only boys I feel the same as you and I hope he gets a teacher who understands and appreciates boys. All three of your sons are just too cute!
Oh my goodness. Jackson is the man. I would have been so nervious for a long time before such a big day. He adjusted I hope and had a good first Day. He is a great boy. WOW Grant looks so big from the picture. How is that possible to grow that much. Luke is so cute and hope he enjoys his preschool. I think it is great that you get a little time with Grant and hope you can get a little Denise time you sure deserve it. Thanks for the post...
The pressing question of the day is, how did Jackson do on his first day at school? The pics are quite adorable. Loved the story about Mrs. Bacon - I don't think I knew that before. There's a $49 Southwest special lurking - maybe you can convince dad to fly up while I'm in Reno.
I am so proud of Jackson, what a little man!
Aw I remember those days. I can't believe they were so long ago. Cherish these days. Jackson is so grown up and Luke is adorable. Grant is such a sweetie. Denise cherish the time you have with Grant. You all look great! Hope Jackson had a wonderful day and has a great teacher! Will be anxious to hear how his day went. Give all the boys a hug from Aunt Sue! And consider yourself hugged too! Luv!!!!
I get nervous FOR all the other parents on the first day of school. I don't think that the impulse to shelter them from everything ever goes away...at least it hasn't for me yet. I'm sure he will do great. Keep us posted!
I'm glad that you are doing your blog again. I was one of your nervous readers wondering if you were still alive.
Girl, I love your blog! It cheers me up and often sends me into a good belly laugh. Darryl and I must have spent at least 40 minutes reading, looking at photos (gorgeous kids) and watching your videos. Great entertainment. I am so glad you write all those funny things Jackson says. Remember how cute he was when he's an obnoxious teenager. Miss and love you. Hope you'll be here for Christmas!
sounds like a great set-up, except for the first day craziness. I don't how that was since we were two days late for school! maybe we'll do that next year on purpose to avoid it all... tee hee.
that preschool set up sounds perfect. hopefully it will give you some much needed down time!!
Post a Comment