I don't know if it is the city I live in or the entire state of Michigan for that matter, but I kid-you-not when I say that there are at least two radio stations that began round the clock Christmas music the day after Halloween! This is just down right annoying to me. You may call me Scrooge or this crazy guy,

if you must, but this early celebrating is out of control.
You should know that I LOVE Christmastime. I love everything about it, except the cold and the ultra materialism. I will listen to the good old Christmas tunes (and I will love every minute of it) from the day after Thanksgiving to the January 1st. I will drive around to look at the lights and decorate my home and do all things Navidad. Since we moved 18 months ago, Christmastime is even more special because it is the one time of the year that I know we will be with our family and our lifelong Maryland friends. (And, really, what better place to be at Christmastime than "Merry"land. I know, I'm hilarious.) Of course, I love celebrating the birth of my Savior, as well.
On the other hand, there is just something about dragging out a holiday that takes away from the specialness of said holiday. Imagine if there were fireworks every day. How unique would the Fourth of July be? And, not to mention how this early celebrating takes away from the other holidays. I mean, really, what's wrong with Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday and I think it is overlooked. It is squished right in between two more "fun" holidays. It isn't full of candy or costumes or cookies or gifts. It is about food and friends and being thankful, what can be wrong with these? And so, I will put up my orange and brown Thanksgiving decorations and enjoy the fact that I have so much for which to be thankful. I will hum Jason Mraz or U2 or even Pink songs and TRY not to acknowledge the fact that I am hearing premature jingle bells all around me. Yes, you can call me Scrooge or the Grinch, I call myself grateful.
12 comments:
You are preaching to the choir, hon. It's down right insane to start putting out the decorations and start listening to the festive tunes before Thanksgiving has even occurred. Even my girls are falling for it as they insisted that we watch at Christmas-y movie last night (The Santa Clause was chosen). I think it's just a way for the retail world to get people to spend more on Christmas stuff since they've got WAAAAAAAAAY more time to do it.
I agree I don't want the stores or the T.V to tell me when to celebrate. It makes the holiday less exciting because I get used to the decorations and music and begin to ignore it, especially where the weather doesn't contribute to the whole effect (80's does not say Christmas, or Thanksgiving, or even Halloween). However, if people personally feel like decorating early and listen to some music I love the idea of making the holiday last longer in your heart.
They don't have Thanksgiving here so we have the same thing. And WHY does the Grinch get such a bad wrap, I mean he is the most Christmasy person I can think of. Sure he HAD his problems but after a little soul searching being like the Grinch should mean completely in the Christmas spirit =)
He carved the roast beast for crying out loud!
I agree with Kim, maybe the grinch should learn from Paul, we can call him Grinch to represent his bad ways and Chrinch to represent the new and improved Grinch...or scrooge and crooge or something...ANYWAY, I AGREE AGREE AGREE. the stores had Christmas stuff out before Halloween...I feel like I am being rushed through halloween and Thanksgiving, and I want to enjoy each one separately. Thanksgiving goes on for several days, we keep eating the leftovers and celebrating with different family..I love it! (I will admit, our tree goes up day after thanksgiving because December is such a busy time!
I LOVE Thanksgiving, which naturally, is not celebrated in Europe. We went to the Botanical Gardens yesterday in DC and they had a Christmas tree up, crazy. As we will be spending the holidays at home this year (which happens only about every other year) I am looking forward to getting the house decorated and of course with hubby having grown up on a Christmas tree farm in NH, we will need a live tree!
I think we should take time to enjoy each holiday as it comes, and reflect on why it is important to us.
Christmas decorations go up around Halloween in the DC area store, except for good old Nordstroms, who waits until the overnight hours of Thanksgiving (not fun for the employees who had just eaten a wonderful meal to have to report to work and decorate for the holiday season). I don't think the radio stations around here start the nonstop Christmas medleys until Thanksgiving. I've noticed the mall parking lots are already full, so maybe this is a sign that the economic upturn is actually occuring. All that being said, I wish the Christmas music wouldn't start until mid-December. By the time Christmas is upon us, I'm sick of the carols, etc., But if you want to get a lovely holiday CD, go to www.kristyglass.com and check out her Christmas album, Picture a Christmas - sorry for the crass commercial plug. Only a month until you get back to good old Merryland! Can't wait to see everyone.
I am sorry but I am one of those crazy people who could listen to Christmas carols all year. "Joy to the World", what better song ist there? We have a channel that started carols yesterday. This year our tree will go up the Sunday before Thanksgiving only because of scheduling issues. Normally it goes up on Thanksg iving. However ic comes down on the day after Christmas as I am ready to get the house back in order. The outside decorations stay up until after New Year. I try to keep Christmas in my heart all year. I love Christmas! Sorry guys. I do agree that I don't like to see displays in the stores at Halloween though..that is too early.
It's funny you mention it, because I just got back from Costco, where I shut out anything that looked like it had to do with Christmas. It annoys me so much to see Christmas things before Thanksgiving that I usually don't even acknowledge that they exist. I also love Christmas, but rigidly adhere to the day after Thanksgiving- midnight on Christmas timeline to celebrate.
I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! I love it right after Halloween...yes really. Honestly, people are getting so selfish and so caught up in themselves and their lives and it seems that around Christmas time, all of that melts away for a little bit. People don't get annoyed when you stop your car to give that man on the side of the road a few dollars or while your teaching your child about sharing with other little boys and girls as they drop the toy in the wrapped up box.
I say bring it on. Let's give the Christmas spirit a few more weeks...what will it hurt?
I just realized that scrooge was also a very Christmasy person after his change of heart, he may actually enjoy celebrating Christmas year round!
Well working in retail for a while it seems that it is too long a period of Christmas music playing. Sort of makes the actual Holiday anti climatic. It seems that the whole reason for the holiday gets a little watered down with months of Christmas gifts being pushed but hey - we need everyone to spend this year because the economy isn't good. For me it is too long also I don't see many shoppers at our 7am openings and how about 5am the day after Thanksgiving and midnight closing. Do you really need such long hours to shop? I don't get the fighting to get a parking space close to the mall walk a little and get some excersize it is good for you and remember Christmas and gift giving is supposed help uplift ones spirit not raise a fist or worse a finger. There is plenty of time for shopping. Hmm makes making homemade gifts sound good doesn't it. I think Helen has that covered this year. I wish everyone a great stress free Holiday season. Can't wait for the visit of the Wilkins. MERRY CHRISTMAS
I AGREE 100%. Thanksgiving is a time to ponder what we have and show gratitude for it. Why do we rush past it? NO clue. Every year seems harder and harder to find any good Thanksgiving decor. It is all on clearance with the Halloween stuff. Ridiculous.
Lyssa's fever is still high! :o( Horrible Asthma attacks. Thanks for the well wishes!
Post a Comment