Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How we roll...



I believe in being honest. This is what I allow my children to drive around in everyday. I'm not proud of it. It is one of my greatest embarrassments in life. Cleaning the car is ALWAYS on my to do list and it generally gets bumped for other things, ESPECIALLY when it is cold outside. (Btw, I took this picture AFTER spending a good 30 minutes gathering about 12 inches of papers, toys, books, etc. from on top of what you see pictured above.) In the last few months, both Barrington and I have stopped to give rides to older women. In both cases we were mortified because the poor old ladies had to hike their feet up on top of diaper bags, church bags, books, you name it, just to sit in the passenger's seat. One of the ladies couldn't even find a spot to put her cane. I am even embarrassed when I give an unexpected ride to a six year old. I find myself excusing the funk, even to a child. I have only seen one car that was worse than this and I found it nast. (That is my word for when something is uber-nasty.) So, why am I posting this and adding to my humiliation? I really have no idea. But, if I've ever given you a ride and my car was clean, you can bet that I spent a good deal of time cleaning it for you. I'm always willing to help when I can...just be sure to give me a good 24 hours notice before your car breaks down on the side of the road and you need a lift. I'll need that much time to empty things out so that there will be room for you. And, if you can't give me that much time now you know what you are in for. You have been warned.

9 comments:

Malin said...

Very honest indeed! I know the feeling though, I have no idea how so much stuff end up in my car all the time... Maybe car detailing should be on your Christmas wish list?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm now I am thinking you are going to be using Helens car. Well I guess that is good for me. Except Helen gets my car when you are here. Oh well I was going to try to get Jimmys car washed before you get here but looks unlikely it has been sitting for a very long time I did try to start it and it started right up. I had to move it to get the gutters cleaned. But I know those boys are really into things and can dirty a car up in a few minutes so don't feel too bad about it I guess it comes with the territory when you have such a group of little people. You have to hall around all the things you need for Grant. Let alone all the treats and toys to keep Luke and Jackson quiet and content.

MaryBeth said...

Denise, you make me happy ;)

Alison said...

I appreciate the honesty. People who have blogs that show the perfect car/kids/house all the time make me a little suspicious. I am looking forward to seeing you in a few days. We should go to the splash park or something, so bring swimsuits.

Higleys said...

Impressive

hdknowles said...

So, I guess I'll try to post this again. Maybe on my next visit to MI, I can take the car and get it cleaned and detailed. You are right, it is nast.

Lissa said...

I know you think people are shocked by that, I promise Denise if your car looked any other way I would have serious concerns about you!

Jana said...

That is pretty heinous, but you only validate all of us other toddler-toting moms. Car cleanliness is a point of much discussion in our marriage--but my response is you can't tote in all the trash/toys/items when you're lugging children, diaper bags, and craft projects inside. Who has time to make multiple trips to/fro the car to keep it clean? Not I.

Corinne said...

Don't you worry. I've cleaned worse than that out of my car :)