Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Help

Jackson is sleeping in the computer/guest room and wants me to "stay for a little while". Instead of sitting in the dark I thought I would jot down some of my thoughts. I have no clever post in mind. And, forgive me, but this isn't going to be the most light-hearted of posts.

Most of my thoughts in the last few days have vacillated between being grumpy with my kids for being kids. (This is mostly because I am not getting enough sleep, something that I vow will be taken care off sometime soon. Of course, Grant has already woken up once tonight and it is only 9 o'clock.) And getting the errands I "need" to get accomplished. And, the devastation in Haiti. The first two topics are are completely opposite from the last; in my mind. How can I be so easily irritated over my children fighting when there are thousands of people in Haiti who would love nothing more than to have their children with them; fighting or not? How can I drive to the store and buy a cart full of groceries when there are people who haven't eaten in days?

I can't imagine the suffering going on there at this time. I tried, for a while, to avoid seeing images or hearing stories because I know that I can internalize other peoples suffering. I have watched a few short clips and read a bit about what is going on. However, one image was enough to get me to me (and anyone else, I'm sure). I think a lot of people must be doing the same thing as I am, avoiding. I hope so, at least. I have noticed a severe lack in anyone around me talking or writing much about such a tremendous event. I can't imagine that most people are going on with their day-to-day activities and not thinking about those sweet people. How ridiculous is it that I (or we) are shielding ourselves from seeing their pain? They can't shield themselves. They are living it.

So I ask myself, "how can I help?" The answer is that I really don't know. I'm not a doctor, so I would be of no use there... just another person to feed. We donated money. But it just doesn't seem like enough. When Katrina hit, Barrington and I were able to go down to the Armory in DC where many victims were bused and actually help. We gave them supplies. We laughed with them. We ate lunches with them and heard their stories. I want to do more for the people of Haiti.

The only thing I can think of is to plead for anyone reading this to donate what they can to the relief effort, to pray for the good people of Haiti and to be mindful and grateful for all of your blessings. I heard on the news tonight that this country has donated about 110 million dollars to various organizations for Haiti. It seems like a lot. However, they said that there was over one BILLION dollars donated to the Katrina relief effort and even that that wasn't enough. So, I urge you to give what you can and to ask others to do the same. Use whatever influence you have to raise money for a people who, at this point, are only trying to survive. Together, we can save lives.



Text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10.00 which will be added to your cell phone bill or go here to donate to the Red Cross online.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

So Denise you are right. I have been avoiding, avoiding and avoiding. I was talking with Shareef last night about this and I told him that I did not want to hear about it anymore because there is nothing I can do and that makes me feel helpless, which is not something I usually feel. I have totally blocked Haiti out of my mind for the most part, however when I see the images online and in the papers I am heart broken for them and my own helplessness. Thank you for posting this, we all needed it.

Higleys said...

Denise, I understand what you are saying but I have a different take on this tragedy. In 1999 I was in Taiwan (teaching English)when they had their 7.2 Earthquake. I think I'll post my experience. Too much to comment here. It does make you realize your blessings though.

Denise said...

I'll have to check out your post, Kristin.

Cindy said...

You have always had such a tender heart. I think that your suggestions for help are good ones. I know the humantarian kits like ones I've helped put together were trucked in from the Dominican Republic the day after the quakes and two plane loads of supplies were ready on planes for when the airports opened. I'm hoping that this will be an opportunity to teach the people from this poverty inflicted country "how to fish" so that they will have a more permanent kind of help. The kids at my school are paying a dollar each to wear jeans to school on Friday with the money going to the Red Cross. Some of my kids asked if they could bring more. It gives you a good feeling to know that kids want to help too.

Karen said...

You are right about the avoiding thing. I find myself thinking about it, then avoiding it for awhile and then going back to it again. The kids at my school had a good idea that they would do "Hats for Haiti" where they could donate $1 or more to be able to wear their hats in school all day. I thought that was a good idea.

rebecca said...

I too have been avoiding. I looked at a slide show on nyt.com and the clouds started to gather. I think I'm going to need to ration out the media to which I expose myself on this issue.

I'm hoping that my dollars and prayers can fill in for what my mind can't absorb in a healthy way. My kids' school is collecting stuff for hygiene kits. Maybe we can get Jackson's school on board, too.

brooke said...

Great reminder. I still need to donate and this is the perfect opportunity.

Unknown said...

First I am using Roger's computer so it will look like this is coming from him ...this is Aunt Sue. I know exactly what you are saying. We need to get busy! Your dad is a good example. I asked him what he wanted for his birthday and he asked me to donate to Haiti so I did! I gave a donation to Haiti through UMCOR where 100% goes to them! A friend and I made health kits to forward to UMCOR for Haiti. The need will go on for years and we all need to remember that. We can not forget! Thank you Denise for posting and we all need to remember this. Love you!

hdknowles said...

I just heard $334M has been raised so far, so people are doing what they can to help out, but the reminder is a good one. Don't forget about LDS Humanitarian Services - there are instructions on how to make hygiene kits, etc. Maybe it's something that the Relief Society should think about doing. I don't find people around here not talking about the situation in Haiti. There is a lot of interest in helping the children and much interest in possible adoptions of those who lost their parents/families in the earthquake. The most important thing to remember is not to forget. Months from now they will still need help. $10 a week or month will go along way to continue to help for the foreseeable future.

CR said...

Denise, you are such a caring person. I too have to limit how much news I watch, or else I get so down that I am no good to anyone. I am grateful that the LDS church is doing so much. It makes me feel like my little donation will actually make a difference when combined with millions of others who can only donate a little bit. I just read this today and it made me feel a little bit relieved: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/first-presidency-appeals-to-church-members-to-help-people-in-haiti

Jen said...

You are so wonderful for thinking of the Haiti victims and trying to find your own way to help. Annie has really taken it upon herself to try to help, too. She really has such a caring soul and worries about EVERYONE. All. The. Time. We're trying to do what we can, too, mostly through the church because I know I can trust that they will do the right thing with anything I donate.