One of the main reasons we decided to make the trip this summer was to check on the house that we still own. Our tenants moved out so this was the first time that it was empty since we moved out of it two years ago. It was special for Jackson to hang out there and play with one of this best friends in the way that they had played so many times before and for so many hours. It really felt good to let him be back home. (He still asks when we are moving back.) Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy for me to complete my intended work on the house as I thought it would be because I forgot about three little people that don't make accomplishing my projects very easy.
We did get to take a family drive to walk around the Washington D.C. LDS Temple. It is such a magnificently beautiful beautiful place and, just so happens, to be the place that Barrington and I married. Jackson and Luke really enjoyed going to the visitors center and for some reason they both convinced Barrington to let them "drive" while sitting on his lap in the parking lot.
Not only did we get to visit with Mama (Barrington's grandmother) but we got to do it at the hotel she works for on the Potomac Waterfront. It was fun to show the kids how vibrant their Great Grandmother is and how different parts of a hotel work. (I suspect that she liked showing the kids off to her coworkers as well.) it was a bit emotional for me to see the boys playing in the same hallways as their Dad did when he was a boy. There was much frolicking on the elevators and we walked along the water. But, alas, I only got a picture on my cell phone and will have to figure out how to get that into my computer. I'm open to suggestions from you
We visited favorite spots; Plato's Diner and the Duck Pond to name a few. The Duck Pond seems to be turning into more of a swamp these days, but the kids had fun. crab cakes were eaten in abundance (by me).
For some reason I was compelled to chase this car through my old neighborhood and take it's picture. It was just...weird.
We left to drive home the day before Barrington's birthday and Luke's birthday was just two days later, so we had a little celebration at Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Jim's pool. My mother and Jackson's buddy, Jr., joined us. It was lots of fun. Jackson insisted that Daddy have the proper number of candles on his cake. Check out that fire!
The gifts were abundant. Barrington got a Nook from my parents and myself. (It is my hope that this will cut down on the amount of space I need to dedicate to previously read books.) Jackson bought Daddy this hat that was 800 sizes too big:
Nancy remembered our limited cargo space and gave Luke a gift that can fit into a very small space:
There were even gifts for Jackson and Grant. Jackson got some dolla' dolla' bills as well and Grant had a blast with his truck. It was a brilliant distraction that allowed us to chat for a bit.
The boys always love playing pirate on the cool playground:
Other than being restricted by nap times, not getting around to spend time with everyone that we wanted and the heat being incredibly hazy, hot and humid, we had a really nice time and got to spend many hours with some of the people we love the most.
Even though we have been here for a couple of years now, I sometimes still feel like we are just poking our heads through a crowd of people that have well established relationships with one another. Sometimes they will take pity and let us in but most times I grow tired of feeling like we are silently begging "love us, adore us", be our friends. (We are really not THAT desperate but the quote is from a tv show that I highly doubt anyone reading this blog will be able to guess.) There is peace and comfort around those friends and family that genuinely want to be with us and love us...those that we know will always and forever accept us and be there for us. I miss living closer to them but am so grateful for the opportunity we have to visit frequently.
11 comments:
We have lived in places we're we've felt like outsiders. Some places just require more time than others. Given how outgoing you are, I'm sure when it's time to leave, you'll be leaving a network of friends.
When we were home Drew and I drove up to Catonsville. It felt like FOREVER since we have lived there. I couldn't even remember how to get from Church to our house and it took me a long time to figure out where my friends lived. But, when we were in Hyattsville, it felt almost like we had only been gone a short time. I guess home really is where the heart is...
We do love you, adore you and want to be your friend. It was great to see you. You left that toy camera at Tammy's and I brought it home with me to get to you... but I never made it the rest of the way to Helen's before you went to the beach. So, I can mail it to you or give it to your mom.
I absolutely love love your updates! Man, I wish I lived closer, but hey we're doing a great job with blogging right? Give me your celle phone number and lets text...ok...here's mine 801 369 4356...I don't really care about the WWW knowing little old "me" and my phone number...anyway, lets continue! I think your three sons are soooo beyond beautiful! WOW
when I take a picture with my phone there is an option to send it by email. I am pretty sure most phones have that option. I don't have internet on mine either but I can email myself. I hope that works for you!
Can't believe it's been almost a month since you all returned to MI. It was great having you visit. I loved watching Grant act like he was a big boy like his brothers and getting in the wrestling mix with them. Glad we got to celebrate a couple of birthdays (albeit early). The Knowles B&B continues to operate. It will be shutting down at the end of the week.
Aw, it has been three years since I was in Maryland. We are going to have to go back soon to visit. I really miss that Temple. None of the ones here can touch it as far as I am concerned.
Your trip sounded wonderful. That pirate ship playground is awesome and I'm jealous you got to eat crab cakes. When Sam and I spent a summer working in DC during law school, I decided that Maryland had the best crab cakes on the planet.
I loved the pictures. Your boys (all of them!) are so cute.
On another note, I'm glad you watched the Bachelor Pad. Your comment made me laugh as always. I can't decided whether to continue recapping it or not. Is it beneath me? I can't decide. You were so right about the camera angles! Good grief.
It was so fun to get to see you...I know I live in Maryland, but when we are all together, it really feels like home! I love getting to see the boys, they are so so cute...So sorry we missed you this week when we were around your way (if toronto is considered close)...my kids were such stinkers saying they would much rather " go to Niagra Falls than watch mommy Chat chat chat with her friend all day"....
Awww, you are so lucky to get back to Maryland to spend time with all those people we miss so much. Glad you had fun and got to see so many friends and family.
It was great to see you, as always. I'm glad your heart is here.
Post a Comment