Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Toddler's Resume

OBJECTIVE:  To explore the world, make as much mess as possible and frequently drive adults to pull out their own hair.

SKILLS:  Walking
While we were in Maryland this summer, Grandma Nancy predicted that Grant would be up and walking in no time.  I wasn't so sure, but it seems that grandmas know better than mommies.  This is a video of Grant during his early walking stages.  It was actually taken at least a month ago, maybe six weeks, making him 14 months old when he began to walk.  It turns out, all he needed was a little encouragement to get up and be a member of the two legged world.  He is now walking about 80% of the time.



QUALIFICATIONS:  Persistence
He is full of life and (it seems to me) that he has embarked upon many typical toddler behaviors earlier than most.  I'm talking completely anti-social behavior that would make even the most patient parent want to scream.  Our house is perpetually out of  most food  because I refuse to shop with him.  He enjoys wiggling out of his seat belt, jumping off the cart and screaming for any brightly colored or otherwise interesting item.  (This is from someone who has never been the recipient of any toy that he has screamed for at a store.)

EXPERIENCE: "Housework"
He enjoys helping with chores.  Climbing onto the dishwasher door while it is being loaded is one of his favorite pastimes.  He is experienced in "rearranging" dishes in lower cabinets, unplugging the vacuum while it is in use and  "helping" with the laundry:

INTERESTS:  Kitchen and bathroom exploration.
Including (but not limited to) throwing his dinner across the room, spitting with food in his mouth (to make his brothers laugh) and climbing onto the table to lie down in any food that might be present.  I should not fail to mention wiggling out of his straps, standing up in his high chair and repeatedly jumping.  Full development of a sixth sense when it comes to bathroom doors being left open as this video shows.  (He has since learned to open the toilet, so we are being ever more vigilant because he is fast.)



SPECIAL SKILLS: Fighting.
Preparing for his future career as a wrestler.  He loves to play fight and to beat up his seven year old brother.



More "fighting":



ADDITIONAL SKILLS:
Proficient cat abuser.  Uncanny ability to melt hearts with his fake shyness and sweet smile.  Expert open mouth kisser and/or stealer of gum.












9 comments:

Scott and Megan said...

And these are the times I smile, laugh and think to myself, I'm going to take a nap...or I'm going to sleep through the night, or I'm going to sit outside and read a book, or whatever childlessness "benefits" there are! i however, want to spend a day with you with the three little monsters! That little face in the dryer is one I want to kiss!!! xo

Jen said...

Aww, Grant is a sweet boy. Way to go on the walking! Violet has been encouraged, too, to walk but shows no interest yet. I will say I'm having an anxiety attack just watching the play fighting. I really don't know what I'd do with boys.

Unknown said...

Can you believe I looked at your blog? Very cute. They look just like my boys beating on each other. I love how Jimmy is saying "Gentle..." Haha. That's funny. I just wish i were a better mom like you and took more videos. i don't even own a video camera- just do some videos every now and then with the camera. Plus I don't even blog. Great- now I feel bad. Thanks alot. :)

Anonymous said...

great post Grant is really coming into his own. Love the videos and pictures. Love Dad

*~Petra~* said...

Holy crap Denise... you have your hands full with that little guy! :)

hdknowles said...

That was most enjoyable - he really is a little devil.

Higleys said...

TOOOO Stinkin' Cute. Love it and am there, doing that!

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise, you and Jimmy are wonderful parents. I can't believe how wonderful your blogs are. I laugh and think how much it must be like mom when she was raising Bob, Larry and your dad! Let's see you have three more to catch up with her. You better get busy!! LOL Love and hugs. Give the fellas a kiss from me!

Karen said...

Totally hilarious! They have so many "skills" at that age, don't they?