I decided to write this post the week before Jackson entered first grade. I'm only now getting to the post, but if I don't do it tonight I'll never do it. He starts second grade in the morning.
1. Parents are far more worried about who their child's teacher and classmates will be than the child. The day I got the letter notifying us who Jackson's teacher would be I received more phone calls than I had in weeks. Everyone wanted to know who was in what class. I was so sad that Jackson wasn't placed with any of his classmates from kindergarten. When I told him the bad news he said, "That's too bad. But I'll see them at recess and I'll make new friends."
I was also worried that the teacher would label my child as a bad kid because he was active. It turns out that his teacher was wonderful. Not only was her name Jane, but her husband's name was Dick. (Dick and Jane, Get out!) She understood boys because she has sons of her own and was kind and patient. She saw my Jackson's great characteristics and seemed far more calm than I could ever have been spending all day with so many children. She even had a Master's Degree AND her own company. And, just like Mrs. Adams she was nice AND pretty. (Jackson wants to go back into her class this year.)
2. Going to school all day for the first year, can be a huge transition. I don't remember having issues with this as a kid, but I must have heard, "I missed you and my brothers" every other day. (It wasn't as much of a transition for me. The house was much quieter during nap time.)
3. Parents and children view the world quite differently. My father used to leave a note with a rudimentary drawing of a little man looking over a wall in my desk each year after Back to School Night. I thought I would carry on the tradition, but was surprised when I picked up my sensitive first grader the next day. He immediately burst into tears and asked why I drew a picture of him with big teeth to make fun of him:
4. Friends trump the mother. Jackson was an only child for nearly five years. Since his brothers were born, things have changed for him...dramatically. I thought it was about time to spend a little one-on-one time together; just Mommy and Jackson. I was ready to be considered the coolest mother on the planet. I hired a babysitter and checked Jackson out of school unannounced. As we were walking outside, he was eager to know what was happening. I told him that I was taking him to McDonald's for lunch! (And, he could even get fries!) By the time we walked to the car, Jackson was in tears because he just wanted to eat lunch with his friends. So, we turned around and I checked him back in...not three minutes after I signed him out.
5. Books do not make great presents for first graders:
(For those of you who are unfamiliar with first grade writing, this note reads: "Jackson, Mom and Dad. I love you. Thank you for the presents but they were mostly books. Thank you anyway. Love, Jackson)
6. First grade isn't quite old enough to win against your mom. We (the moms) kicked some first grade booty at Mother/Son laser
(Can you guess how much I love this picture of myself?)
7. Teachers sure are adored. I might have bitten off a bit more than I could chew by signing up for too many volunteering activities. However, I loved being in charge of the students portion of teacher appreciation week. I asked all of the kids to write cards to three teachers/staff members. I got to read them all. Let me tell you (as if you didn't know) that teachers are special. These are just a few of the cards that were turned in:
8. There is just so much wonderfulness that is happening in elementary school classrooms. I often have to choke back tears when I am with the kids. Maybe it is because my first major in college was elementary education and so I have a special place in my heart for it. But, I think it is because the children are so eager to learn and so positive and innocent.
9. There is an amazing amount of development that happens during this year when it comes to reading and writing. I can finally decipher my sons writing. The times are few and far between, but if you're as lucky as I was you might just get a note that makes all of the breaking up fights with brothers and repeating yourself a million times a day (only to be ignored) worth it:
(Yeah, that says that I am his "buried treasure".)
What more could I have asked from the first grade?
11 comments:
You always write such wonderful posts! You make me cry just reading about you and your family! Hayden had a teacher too named Jane last year and her husbands name was Dick also!
Denise this was worth waiting for. Thanks, dad
This was a fantastic post! I love your style of blogging! Jackson sounds so fun and unique. I love different than the "norm". What a riot....all your thoughts and discoveries! Wow, I still remember Mrs. Sutton my first grade teacher! Ya, that picture of you is pure awesomeness!
Priceless memories! (Almost makes me want to volunteer for teacher appreciation day, but then..... noooooooo.......). I also gave books for presents and learned my lesson. Clothes are also bad. for boys. sigh.
You should be a teacher when your kids grow up. You have great insight and the kids would love you too. I have one fifth grader who gives me a hug a couple of times each day and it makes me feel like maybe I do the right thing once in a while anyway.
I love it! So true how differently the kids perceive school compared to us parents. I never thought I'd be a worried or picky parent about my kids' school, teacher, etc, but boy was I wrong. Glad to see that Jackson is loving school.
Denise!!! I had no idea you had a blog! (Obviously, or I would have checked it out already.) I love it! You are a phenomenal writer. :) And I love the side bar of quotes from your Jackson. Too funny! Your trophy is the size of an ant... HA! Who says stuff like that?! :) Kids.
To answer your question, the class I'm taking is free...which is why I can take it. I don't receive credit for it of anything, but that's not why I'm taking it. Turns out, there are tons of free classes offered through Yale, Berkley, Stanford, etc. Who knew? I'll have to check out the assigned book reading from the library or find it on the internet, but I just watch the lectures on my computer. I'll even write the paper though I'm getting no credit for this class, and I have basically no accountability other than to myself.
And yes! We need to get together. I think YOU are the bomb-diggity! See you tomorrow. :)
Great ideas and all so true! I can't believe he is in second grade already!
Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would love to mention that this post extremely forced me to try and do therefore! really nice post. thanks, here's a similar subject you'll like [url=http://corina33.xanga.com/734355426/the-advantages-of-having-a-natural-light-alarm-time-clock/]Old Clocks[/url]
What ya been? Get this blog updated, lady!! Hope to hear from you guys soon:)
I love that you are his buried treasure!
Post a Comment