Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Six Hats

Not only are people (who shall remain nameless) beginning to leave comments chastising me and my absence from the blogging world (JEN), but word on street is that my most adorable father needs something to read...  (I would like to mention that if he lived out here near us - where it is MUCH cheaper to live and there is FAR less traffic - we would keep him so busy that he wouldn't have time to miss blog posts.)  However, that is never going to happen if my mother has anything to say about it.  For some strange reason, he seems to respect her wishes on the subject...even when those wishes are WRONG.  I first began this blog so that they could keep an eye on us, so I guess I need to honor my commitment.

It is hard to find the time to get to posting  because I seem to be wearing many hats these days.  Here are some of them:

Hat #1.    Mommy (Or, as Grant would say it, moOOOm.  This is said with the same inflection as a teenager who is annoyed with their mother.)  These days, I'm still chasing Grant around.  Grabbing him off of tables and running through the house to make sure the bathroom door has been shut when things get too quite.  He's a big hitter so breaking up fights is a big part of my day.   He has a HUGE temper that you really need to see to believe.  He has also abandoned sleeping through the night, so that lasted a long 2-3 months. He is, however, very cute and gives the warmest cuddles around.  Calm and mild Luke has decided to assert his independence.   He is working on getting his master's in attitude when he doesn't get his way.  He is also flunking potty training.  Jackson is busy at school and likes to be alone to unwind after school.  We spend time doing homework. (This is difficult when a certain one year old climbs onto the table over and over again trying to take away his brother's papers.)  Jackson has been doing really well on his math and spelling tests this year.  (I wonder how smart he could be without the constant interruptions of his brothers.)   In my other "spare" moments, I am either cleaning up after these guys or turning around to gag because the place still seems filthy after hours of cleaning.  I noticed today that there are splatters of a red substance on the ceiling...no, it's not blood...it might be applesauce, though...  How the hizzy did it get on the ceiling?

Hat #2.  Librarian - I'm learning all about the inner workings of the elementary school library, right down to the computer system.  I'm also learning not to listen to the substitute when she tells you to shut down the computer system and restart it...she won't know the password to get back in and one may have to spend their afternoon writing (by hand) library codes, book titles and children's names.

Hat #3.  Coach - Somehow I ended up being the coach to Jackson's Lego Club.  I still cannot comprehend how this happened.  This is not something I ever saw myself doing.  It's all about Legos and robotics and biomedical engineering.  So, I'm just perfect for the job...ha...ha...HA.  It is also about restraining oneself from pulling out ones hair.  Six seven year old boys who are not used to being in the school at night without teachers can be wild (to put it mildly).

Hat #4.  Church Volunteer - I've been lucky enough to be asked to help with the children at our church.  There are about 70 children.  Some do not participate as much as others, however the vast majority are in attendance most of the time.  I spend lots of time is spent planning lessons, making fliers and attending planning and leadership meetings.  At the end of August, four of us planned and organized a three day camp for the kids.  It was a huge undertaking.  I've also been very involved interviewing the children and using their words to write the annual children's presentation at church.  Now we are onto the phase of organizing the children and practicing for the program that will be held this Sunday, thank goodness.

Hat #5.  Landlord - This is the hat that I hate.  I wouldn't hate this hat so much if I were closer to the house so that I could handle things myself instead of asking my poor father to do them.  (Or paying someone who won't eve call me back to do them.)  I hate how much money our house has cost us in the summer while being empty and while fixing some items to get it ready to sell this spring...oh, do I hope it sells...

Hat #6.  Chief Financial Officer - I might hate this one just as much as hat number 5.  (On second thought,  if hat number 5 didn't exist, this job would be a lot easier.)  There is too much juggling going around in this arena for any one's good.



And so these are a few of the things I spend my time on.  I'm sure there are more hats to report on but I can't remember them because I'm pretty certain that I have Motherhood Induced Attention Deficit Disorder or Early-onset Alzheimer's.

I'll do better with the posts and try to catch up soon.   Feel free to continue your gentle nudges if I take my writing hat off for too long again... 





9 comments:

hdknowles said...

I'll comment more later but don't you think it's about time that you updated your slideshow to include baby Grant, who is 17 months old now, I believe. No wonder he has a temper - he must realize he's not included with the rest of the family at the top of your blog!

Denise said...

Maybe so, let me see if I can find time to get to that considering I think I have to start all over again.

Cindy said...

Yes, we've missed reading about your adventures. I've been helping Alison with Matt more than usual lately and it can be a full time job. I took them to the airport a couple of hours ago and I'm still recovering (it may take a long time). Hang in there, this time with little ones passes quickly and you'll be really glad you wrote about it.

Anonymous said...

So glad to see this post and thank you for the nice words. You are amazing. Seven hats all of them seems worthy of full time attention or atleast #1 and one other maybe. Well don't worry about forgetting things who wouldn't with your schedule.

Malin said...

Well, I can relate to most of those, and I am sure I do not wear them with as much grace as you do. I cannot imagine how you find time for it all. LEGO club sounds fun (for the boys) LOL.

Glad you're back in the blogging world.

Higleys said...

No wonder I get the comments I do from you. I am there with you , doing that. I love the stories though. As you would say, your boys are cute.

Karen said...

We do miss reading about you, but understand that sometimes we are all just on survival mode for awhile.

Jen said...

Sorry if I pressured you to get back on the blogging horse, but I've missed you guys and wondered what you had been up to. I can totally feel for and relate to your many hats. Although the coach and librarian hats aren't ones I would touch with a 50 foot pole; good for you for taking on those jobs. Violet is in the stealing homework/pens/pencils/crayons phase, too, and it's really starting to annoy Annie. I have to remind Annie though that Violet means no harm, and that Annie was actually WORSE at that age (hourly tantrums and biting).

I'm sure your kids would love to have grandparents live nearby. I know my girls would. But there's no chance of my parents ever considering our future home of South Dakota as a possible residence. Oh well, at least they both live somewhere that is like a vacation spot for us.

I hope you can finally unload your house. We're going to be in the same boat next summer. I don't have confidence that'll it'll sell or not provide a huge loss to us. We'd rent it, but we don't have anyone in town to trust enough to watch over it for us. We'd already be taking a huge loss on the rent, so I don't think we could afford to pay a rental agency to take it over for us. So our hopes is to just sell it and be done with it (loss and all...hrmph).

Unknown said...

You are amazing D! Its kind of crazy when you actually sit down and think of all you really do (how many hats you wear). keep up the good work mama.