Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Great Christmas Card Debacle of 2010

Although I would love to have a family picture taken in the outdoors with a cool photographer, I am cheap.   The last three years we have gone to Jackson's elementary school where you get have five minutes with a photographer.  The cost is $10 and you get a CD to use your pics in any way that you would like, so It's right up my alley.

I realized another reason, this year, for waiting until the future for a real photography session.  Co.op.er.ation.  Seriously, I stressed WAY too much over this little picture.  There were hair cuts and figuring out how we were going to coordinate and purchasing a sweater for the little one who had nothing to match the rest of us.  Plus, this was all only a few days prior to our trip to Maryland so I was too busy to be fussing over all of this.

The time came and we were as ready as we were going to be.  We got there on time only to find out that they were running 45 minutes behind schedule due to a few uncooperative children.  (Can you imagine?)  Of course, I had scheduled our appointment after Barrington returned from work but before Grant's bedtime.  This meant we would finish our session 15 minutes before bedtime.  WELL, since we started almost an hour late...  You get where I'm going with this, right?

Here are a few of the "highlights" of our night:
Luke was the main culprit during the majority of our shoot.  The photographer made the mistake of touching him while trying to position him and he retreated into his shy unresponsive self.  He refused to smile regardless of bribes.  Chuck-E-Cheese with his best buddy wasn't even a reason to smile.



While Luke was being a grumpy goose, I did my share of screwing things up while trying to talk and make little people smile.


Here is Barrington and I obviously thinking opposite thoughts and yet both making for a heinous picture.  Luke is still in his statue form.


They introduced holiday balls to spice things up and tried a new pose.  This just made Luke more mad and made Grant want to get up to throw and chase the balls.


By this time I had a brilliant idea (even though we were probably over our allotted time by double.)  I thought if we did a pose that was more "fun" Luke might get into it.  My mother's instincts paid off because he was having great fun.  Jackson, on the other hand, was not having it and wanted to be in the pile, as you can see.  Grant was also more interested in his toy.



When I received the CD there wasn't one of the 30 picture that had everyone smiling.  I ended up asking to have some heads switched and we came out with a couple of decent choices.  I would have used this one because it is one of the best pictures of me in recent history and I think Grant's head switch looks great:


Of course, Barrington hates this picture of himself.  I don't blame him, it is an odd angle.  And, apparently, "It isn't all about me."  I'll just have to crop myself out and use it for my Facebook profile pic.

So, this was the compromise.  I think it is obvious that Luke is Photo shopped.


So,  Merry Christmas to you.  You'd better frame our card when it gets to your house.

14 comments:

Aimee said...

This is hilarious. But, wow! $10! And the picture looks great.

Scott and Megan said...

I have now just wet my pants and had the greatest holiday cheer of 2010...oh please do this again next year and make sure Luke has his angry eyes! Denise, this is hilarious! I will leave your card hanging on my wall until at least Valentines!xoxo

Marcia said...

I think the picture looks great! I can't tell anything is photoshopped. We always have to swap heads around in our family pictures. Sometimes whole people. Maybe I should switch in some better looking people next time, or better behaved children!

Marcia said...

Oh, and those other pictures are as pricesless as the "good" one! :)

Michelle said...

hahaha, I love it. I'm sorry, I know you didn't love it. But I am glad you ended up with a cute family photo. It's obvious to you because you know...but maybe to the untrained eye, someone might think, WOW, they all look fantastic in their photo! How'd they get so lucky??
Great family memories, right??
It was great seeing you on Sunday. How long are you around?

Lissa said...

LOL!!! I have no babies and I have still not recovered from THOSE days...bless your sweet, patient self for trying so hard!

Corinne said...

HA!! Seriously, that's one for the history books. WHY DO WE TRY? Because that final one is darling, that's why - but the story makes it that much sweeter :)

brooke said...

This is the best post I've read in a long time. I better get one :-)

I would have never guessed Luke was photoshopped and I love the picture. I can't believe you only pay 10 bucks for that.

I maintain that getting photos taken is the single most stressful thing ever and maybe the last time we did it, one parent might have dropped an f bomb in the process.

Nice job on coordinating the outfits!

Cindy said...

I love this post. One time I thought my father-in-law would come to blows the photographer and everytime I look at his odd expression I remember why he looks that way. I think a collage of all the pictures is best because it shows a REAL family.

Jen said...

OMGosh! Boys are definitely different than girls. This now confirms it. My girls can't wait to have photo shoots and now into this stage of making these ridiculous poses. I think the pictures you got are great. They capture what the true spirit and silliness of your family. I actually prefer the more candid shots than to all smiles and poses.

Jen said...

P.S. I always have to do head-swaps on family shoots, too, because inevitably there will be several shots where each person is smiling but never together. Grrrr!

Anonymous said...

We are enjoying the final product. Great.

cathycan said...

blog stalked you from my niece, Danae's blog. what a handsome family! I couldn't tell who was fotoshopped, but then, I didn't know which one was Luke! : )
thanks for letting me visit!

brooke said...

I can't find your email again. so Boozer is Carlos Boozer and he plays for the Jazz. I have a friend who is tight with Michelle's ex and the word is Michelle slept with Boozer when he was married and is responsible for his divorce. She has also slept with other people around town. SLEAZY.

She will probably come hunt me down because we live in the same town.

I agree with you that most people can benefit from therapy. Sam and I are doing therapy right now. I find it fascinating when we are there for ourselves and completely boring when I'm watching someone else do it.