Thanksgiving this year was low key.
I got an early start and headed into downtown Detroit to run in my first 5k. Jessica, a friend who had decided to run months ago, was wonderful enough to keep her commitment even though she was a few months pregnant. (Something that she didn't know when she signed up for the race.)
As we neared the parking garage, traffic stopped and then we saw runners crossing right in front of us. The race had begun and we were trapped. There was a brief discussion of abandoning the whole thing and driving back home after we were freed, whenever that would be.
This is what we looked at for, what seemed to be, an hour.
However, after sitting for about 20 minutes the police kindly let us back out (after the many cars stranded behind us). We made our way to another parking site and decided we would walk to the starting line to see if we were too late. (This was after a nice woman let us park for free because we didn't have cash. We NEVER would have made it, if we had been forced to find an ATM!)
These are some gentleman that we passed on our way to the race. They were coming back to their car as they had already FINISHED!
As we got to the start there were men disconnecting the Start sign and taking it down. We decided to go for it anyway.
So, we ran our hearts out. Since we began the race at least 30 minutes late, the spectators for the parade were already staking out their spots. I cannot tell you how many people cheered us on. One man with a microphone kept telling us that we could do it. I'm pretty sure that all the people thought we started on time and were super slow.
It was an adventure, that's for sure. I did get to see many beautiful parts of Detroit that I hadn't seen before. On the other side of this river is Canada. It is kind of fun to see another country just across the water.
I ran for all but about ten steps of the race. My time was 34 minutes, which I was happy with. (I did run three miles today in 30 minutes, so I'm still working on getting faster.)
(I have no idea what is up with my camera these days. It is so blurry.)
Then it was home to cook a Thanksgiving dinner and hang out with the family. It was just us, which I think made the day a bit sullen. It would have been better had there been less contention between everyone but I think we all just needed to get out, plus Grant was just getting over Croup. I was tired from being up with him and I felt a bit left out since it seemed like everyone I knew had an invitation to join others if they didn't have family around. I invited at least 5 families during the weeks prior to join us but everyone seemed to have plans.
As dinnertime approached, the mood lightened up. The boys helped me make a pie and Luke was a fabulous table setter. He was SO interested in what was happening and couldn't wait for everyone else to see his great work.
Dinner was yummy.
(No, I don't know how to turn off my flash!)
After dinner, we broke out the window markers and drew a tree on our mirror wall. We wrote on little "leaves" all the things for which we were grateful. (Luke and I seemed to be the only ones who were into this for more than a minute, but we had fun.)
After dinner, we delivered some cookies and cards that the boys made to some friends and to the fire fighters to thank them for protecting us.
And there you have our little Thanksgiving.
9 comments:
That seems so fun! I guess I need to get on the ball with two sisters who are racing. Yikes!
Love your new background - wish you could have been with us for Thanksgiving, but your table was beautiful and I'm glad the day turned around for you.
Sometimes just family dinners are better than lots of people...and great job on the 5k! I'm kind of addicted now and my time never gets better but I enjoy doing them :)
I am so proud of you for the 5 k!!!even more proud that you went a head with it after getting there late! should we find one to run while you are here?? (I haven't run in SOOOOOO long, so I would hope to keep up with you!!
Thanksgiving seemed very cute...sometimes low key is nice. look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks! (I emailed you, but not sure I have the correct emails)
Loving your blog lately! Congratulations on your run. Running for 34 minutes sounds like h-e-double-toothpicks so extra kudos for that.
Way to go, Denise! And it really shows your determination that you stuck with it even though there were some obstacles.
Luke is really good at helping Looks like a great day. Wow you are becoming a real athlete again. A marathon next? Love, Dad
What?!?! You're leaving for Christmas? When? I was planning on dropping off a little treat tomorrow. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. :)And yes, it's the triathlon. We should TOTALLY do it together!
SERIOUSLY fine job, my friend. I am so proud of your 5k! That is a really big deal. What a lovely holiday for you :)
Post a Comment