I love to be creative and artistic. You might not know it, though, if you've met me in the last few years. Life is just so busy with three little ones. Before I had Luke (#2) I was a demonstrator for a stamping company. Before I had Jackson, I was into making stained glass. Between having the first two guys we bought a house and I had fun learning to do all kinds of projects with it. I liked doing all of those things, especially the stained glass. I have everything I need to get back into it, but it involves using lead and I just don't have a place (or equipment) that will allow for me to properly ventilate. I feel like it is something I will continue with after the kids get older.
Since I had Grant (#3) have all but thrown in my creative towel. (Besides, a birthday cake here and there.) I really miss having that creative outlet, though. One day, when I was thinking about what I could do to use my creative side it dawned on me that I could actually be creative WITH my children. (And I'm not talking about play dough.) Photography, I thought, would be perfect.
In the last little while, I've been taking some photography classes. I took some in high school and loved it. Photography has changed tremendously since then and I've decided to really give it a go. I'd eventually like to make a little money taking portraits in natural settings of individuals and families. The thing is, I'm not very good at it....yet. I think I've got a good eye and I know what I want to make my camera do. The problem lies in the technical process of figuring out what settings to use in what conditions. I could write it all out for you on paper. I can explain aperture and white balance and ISO. In the moment, though, I just can't figure out what to use quickly enough. That is ok, though.
I am thinking that it is sort of like driving an manual vehicle. I had such a hard time learning. My husband tried to teach me, my sister tried. I wasn't getting it. Kim and I were in this big parking lot right next to the BYU Cougar stadium and I had given up. Then, something happened. All of a sudden, it just clicked and it was incredibly easy. I'm hoping that is what will happen for me and my camera. So, I'm going to keep trying until it becomes automatic. So far, I've taken an online photography workshop. It was pretty interesting, but I felt like it failed me. (I did make some very creative Australian friends through it, though.) I think it was, mostly, because I'm a hands on learner and I need to have someone there to show me. After that class in March, I met with a local photographer and she helped me a bit. It still hasn't clicked yet, though. I'm super excited for next Saturday. I am taking a photography workshop here. I absolutely love their work and hope to replicate it someday. I'm hoping that spending seven hours in one day will get my to my "clicking" point. Here's hoping.
4 comments:
I am very excited to see your pictures and how they progress as you progress!! from what I have seen with photographers, they have one of the two components naturally, either they have a good eye, and need to learn the technical aspects, or they have a grasp of the technical aspects and need to learn to "see" compositions better...I have enjoyed many photographs from budding photographers as they progress....One friend of mine started just like you, snapping shots of her kids...over the years she has developed into an amazing sports photographer...every team my kids are on we try to get her..she comes and takes action shots during the games, and then she takes the individuals and team shots...at the end of the season she charges 12-20 dollars for a disk of snapshots of the kids...she is incredible and has really captured my kids very well...She is still doing it o n the side, but hopes to do it full time one day...Every year she puts a book together for Dale and the other coach..over 5 seasons it is so fun to go back and see the team and how they have progressed, and grown together...I can't wait to see your creativity come out in photography...!
Denise you are very good at Photography already it seems from your blog. Atleast you have a great eye for it and seem to be getting better all the time. Keep at it in your spare time--Ha Ha... One day you will have more time and it is wonderful that you have found something you enjoy and I believe are perfect for. Love, Dad
You inspire me. I can't wait to hear about it. I have the world's nicest camera that I use in automatic mode. It is ridiculous.
I think that's awesome! I can't wait to see more of your pictures. I'm totally unartistic and have no aptitude in the visual arts, so I'm impressed with those who do.
Post a Comment