Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Highlights and Lowlights

Here we are in Michigan. It has been a crazy week to say the least.

The journey from MD to MI:
Highlight - ???

Lowlight #1 - We started out about 8 hours late because we had a few things to finish. Of course, 5 hours of that was trying to figure out how to put the carrier on top of the roof rack. My mother sat on the porch holding Luke trying not to be
too obvious that we looked like a pair of comedic fools.

Lowlight #2 - It took us 7 hours to get to Pittsburg! We were literally traveling at 5 MPH for about 3 hours. We thought things would've been a little slow because it was Memorial Day weekend. We never thought that, on a holiday weekend, the great state of PA would close all but one lane for construction in the wee hours of the night. So, we inched along. Luke was a bit fussy because we weren't going fast enough for him to fall asleep. So, he spent some time on Mommy's lap enjoying the wind blow through his hair. (I still can't believe I let him out of his car seat!)

Lowlight #3 - While on the road, the POD delivery guy called my parents and told them that there was a Hummer in the driveway and that he couldn't deliver the PODS. We rescheduled for the next day and called the landlord and realtor. We had to trust that they would work out this situation as we were on the road. The Pods driver was nice enough to figure out which neighbor owned the car and put a note on his door.

Lowlight #4 - We decided that it was best for our safety (and the safety of all others on the road) to stop and get some sleep. As we were traveling in the morning, we realized that there would be no way to get to the house before the movers came to help us unload. Since Jimmy and I both lost our cell phones, I boldly asked a very nice woman who was pumping her gas to borrow her phone so that we could push back the time that the moving help would arrive. Now, if that neighbor just gets the note and moves his car so the Pods can be delivered...

Arriving at the new house...
Highlight #1 - Jackson's first statement was, "There is so much space!" It is really amazing to have a house that is more spacious. We don't even have to figure out creative storage solutions. The kitchen sink is deep enough to bath Luke. Here he is with his signature bathtime Mohawk.




Highlight #2 - We have ducks strolling through our yard all the time. We also have a very friendly rabbit that hangs out on warm evenings. Jackson is all about chasing the ducks and is thrilled that he has a tree perfect for climbing.









Lowlight #1 - Moving from a small house to a larger one means that we don't have as much to fill it up. This creates ample opportunity for experimenting with the intricacies of echoing. Luke seems to really enjoy listening to his voice echo in the middle of the night or in the very early morning.

Lowlight #2 - Having stairs in your house is a chore! I never realized how lazy I have been all of these years.

Meeting the neighbors...
Highlight #1 - We have had three neighbors visit already. They are very nice. One brought a map and info about a picnic next Saturday. The other invited us to a Memorial Day cook-out. Both brought treats :) Jackson has made a new friend who will be going to the same camp session in which he is registered. I guess I was guided to choose the right camp for him!

Lowlight # 1 - The Pod fiasco finally ended with the Realtor towing our neighbors Hummer! (At the neighbor's expense!) What a first impression!

Lowlight # 2 - Later, Jackson and I saw some boys on their scooters across the street. We went over to introduce ourselves. The boys just rode right by us like we were invisible. Then, they went into their garage and closed the door. I really didn't know what to think except that maybe Whitehaven Drive really is only a haven for white people! After thinking about it, I went over to talk to the mother because I didn't want her kids to tell her that a stranger tried to talk to them or abduct them or whatever. So, once I introduced ourselves the mother let me know that her children aren't very social because they have Autism. I felt so badly. I didn't even think about it. Maybe I should turn in my TR Certificate...

Oh yeah, Jackson made sure to chime in that, "My mommy is a nice stranger. She believes in Jesus."

Buying a car...
Highlight #1 - We have to get a new car and I get to pick it out!

Lowlight #1 - Getting those great Memorial Day car deals in Michigan is not easy. Because all of the dealers are closed on Memorial Day!!! I was wandering around wondering why business was so slow and why the place seemed to be deserted. Not only are they closed on holidays, but they close at 6 pm every night except Mondays and Thursdays. So, the boys and I are spending lots of quality time getting to know the house and running out of groceries.

The weather...
Highlight #1 - The weather has been beautiful. It is cool at night and in the 70's during the day. We have enjoyed eating dinner on the deck every night.

Lowlight #1 - I am not kidding that the sun doesn't go down until 9 or 9:30. This makes getting Jackson to sleep quite a chore. On the other hand, the sun is up bright and early and seems to awaken Luke around 6:30 am. So, sleep is at a premium if you are an adult.

As you can see we have been busy. During all of this, we have tried to unpack and set up house. And Jimmy has completed his first week as an Assistant US Attorney.

We don't have our phone hooked up yet, but you can leave comments here or e-mail us. We would love to hear from you all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - sounds that it has been quite a moving experience . Glad you are all safely in your new home and wish you much happiness. We are proud to have such a great family. Hope Jimmy is liking his new job. We miss you already. Md.s loss is Detroits gain.

Corinne said...

This was so creative!! I loved reading about it all. Sounds like the house is awesome - can't wait to see some pictures :)

holly b said...

what a crazy move! but when is a move ever flawless?? I like your "highs and lows" style. very cool. I might have to copy it for a future recap.

I hear you on things closing early. It took me awhile to adjust to Walmart being the only place open after 6PM in this town.

Have fun car shopping!

Malin said...

Hi Denise,

What a trip! Glad you're getting all settled in and seem to like it. I'm hoping this will be a great adventure for all of you. Looking forward to pics.

Malin

Anonymous said...

Denise,
Glad to hear things are good. MIss you all and hope to have some way to communiate with you all and kim sometime soon. You will have to let me know when that can happen.
Steph

Lissa said...

I have been waiting to hear how things went for you! Glad it was fairly smooth and that you are enjoying your new home! Lowlight: Having to clean a much bigger home ...Highlight: Cleaning more and having stairs burns more calories!

rick and cheryl said...

Sounds like an uneventful move...just kidding. I hope that the settling and organization goes smoothly. Good luck.
-The Lees

Anonymous said...

Highlight: you guys made it safely and are finding the exciting parts of a new home and neighborhood.

Lowlight: it still seems kinda empty on that church bench where I expect to see you guys.

Hope to hear more about your adventures!