Thursday, March 19, 2009

Freecycle

As long as I'm talking about saving money (or being cheap), I thought I would post some of the items that I have gotten from Freecycle over the last few months. I didn't really get into Freecycling until we moved here, although, I did check it out a few times in Maryland.

Freecycle is a group that anyone can join in most areas. People post items that they don't want or need anymore and others respond if they are interested in attaining those items. By doing this, the givers get rid of unwanted "stuff" and the "receivers" get items that they can use. No waste and it is free. It's great for the environment and wallets. You can also post that you are looking for an item and people will respond if they can accommodate you. Most people send their address and you pick the item up off of their porch.

I have only been a "giver" two or three times as I got rid of most of my unwanted items when we moved. However, I have been blessed with great items that have been VERY useful and saved me A LOT of money. (I would insert a picture here but my camera is malfunctioning.)

The items that I have received are: two toddler bed rails, a kiddie camping chair, a booster seat (for the table), a winter coat (for me to wear when pregnant), a VCR, several children's' video tapes, and two suits for Luke (one that he wore to my sister's wedding). I can't forget the full size mattress that now lives in my guest room. (You may think that is a little gross, but I checked it out and the home it came from VERY well. Plus, I've got a hypoallergenic cover on it. The woman bought it and then decided it hurt her back. The store wouldn't take it back so she got a new one.) The last item is a seven foot artificial tree still wrapped in plastic. (We didn't even get a tree this year because I didn't want to spend the money. Now we don't ever have to spend money on a tree!) I figure just with these items I have saved at least $400 and I'm not counting the camping chair (something that I really didn't need but will be very handy during soccer season).

If you have something to give or if you are in need of something, click on my link to Freecycle under Saving More Money and sign up. (I don't even get e-mails, I just log on every so often and check it out.)

(If you decide to try it, please be smart. Don't go to any areas that are "suspect"...just a friendly warning.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I use free cycle but I get sooo many e mails it is crazy. It is a good service I think. You are a good free cycler.

Denise said...

Dad,
You can choose not to get any emails. Just check and change your settings.

Michelle said...

I'm glad you posted this. I've heard of it, but never looked into it. It's a good reminder of another useful tool out there. I could use some toddler bed rails too, I should definitely check it out!

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

I love freecycle. I have been using it for a couple years now. I posted it on my blog I think when I first started my blogging. I have given a great treadmill to a man that was told he needed to for his heart by his Dr. I could no longer use one per Dr's orders. I also have gotten a couple things. Freecycle is great also to keep useful things out of the landfills!

susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥

Corinne said...

I have given TONS of stuff away on freecycle, but never gotten anything :)

cheryl said...

I have wanted to try this freecycle thing...hasn't happened yet. But I sure do love couponing. I love calling Rick & with how much I've saved-so fun to do. So, yeah, we live in Aurora, CO now. Been here for 3 years & are waiting to hear if we can make it longer or we are headed back to MD this summer...

Susan said...

I like freecycle. I haven't received much but I've been able to get rid of lots of things that weren't worth selling but I didn't want to through away -- highchair, crib mattress.

couplabz said...

I've used freecycle out here and it's great. I've gotten computer monitors, keyboards, bed rail, outside toys, etc. It works like a charm.