This weekend has been full of last minute baby preparations, eleven house showings, a sick (and VERY clingy)one year old and a few comical events.
My husband works with the young men at church. One of the fourteen year-olds has been asking to come over and watch a couple of Disney shows and make a sandwich called a Fluffernutter. (I've never had one, but they look disgusting.) Anyway, I was impressed that the hubby went to the trouble of picking up the lad, Googling the sandwich recipe and purchasing the ingredients. Jackson was pretty excited to have someone come over too.
So amid several Realtors walking through our home and interrupting the "party" this young man tried to watch his television shows. (Things are a bit more complicated because he is blind and wanted to find the shows himself, however, we have a different cable company than he does and we didn't know what networks were on what channels which made him pretty frustrated.) In addition, he was so mean to little Jackson! In his words, "Jackson, I came here to watch your tv and that's what I'm going to do!" I thought he also wanted our company, but at least we knew what he had in mind. I had to talk to him about being nicer to Jackson and he tried to be more friendly. After he gave up on tv, he wanted to set up the satellite radio that he brought to show us. Well, we scanned through the menu several times only for him to get more and more upset. Why? My husband said it best: "I get the feeling that you are trying to access a channel that your parents have blocked and that you are trying to crack the code." So, I'm pretty sure this young guy had a plan to come over, watch tv that his parents didn't approve of and listen to the radio station that his parents had blocked. I'm not sure why he thought we would be the perfect family to pull one over on, maybe that is just how we come across. This post doesn't express the humor of the situation, but when it all came together I found the chaos SO funny!
Later in the day, we were sitting outside and I was looking at the millions of dandelions in my yard. We don't want to pay to have them sprayed or buy spray ourselves because we aren't going to be here much longer. But, what an embarrassment! We are seriously the only house on the block with a yellow lawn! Jackson picked a couple up to blow them and I said something like, I will give you $50 if you pick up all of them. Well, I was only joking but I should have known that that kid would be working for hours to get that money! He really did work hard, but in order to get him to come in for bed, I told him that I would count them and give him $.25 for each one. Of course, I wasn't about to count all of those, so I told him to count them. I heard him get to one hundred and then the numbers drastically changed. From the deck I heard; "Mom, what comes after 99 Gagillion?" Yes, he did work hard, but he's NOT getting THAT much money!
As for our housing situation, it is like doors are slamming all around us. Maybe I'm not supposed to be worrying about this until after the baby comes. It really is becoming comical to me or I could just be delirious. Two realtors who were going to show me around ended up canceling on me, a house I was going to see was rented 5 minutes before I saw it, another house had an offer placed on it. The final straw was when I went to an open house to find no one there. It turns out that the Internet listed it on the wrong day and it was the day before. I guess the Big Guy has the perfect place all mapped out for us...or maybe we are just supposed to move back to Maryland?
Now, hopefully, I'm going to go have a baby that doesn't weigh in at 10 pounds. When I return, my only hope is that we won't be homeless! (I guess we won't because we do have a couple of tents :0) ) So, the saga drags on...
11 comments:
Oh what a week! All you need is to add some swineflu hysteria to that to make it complete LOL.
Seems like you came out of it with your humor intact. Are you really paying him $25/dandilion? I will fly there and pick for that price ;D
The young man seem like a handful, but maybe you guys can set him straight on how to behave as a guest and how to treat young friends...
Malin
You guys have the most interesting experiences! I love the quote "what comes after 99 gagillion"? Your kids are cute. At least you can laugh about everything. Either that or cry, right? Good luck w/ baby boy #3! I'm excited to see pictures!
Actually Denise said $.25 for each dandilion. Oh but how much is a gagillion sounds like more than the national debt. nice try Jackson. Anyway what a week you having before the new baby comes. Never a boring time at the Wilkins. I expect to get that call soon about #3. Hope and pray you have an easy time with the delivery. The housing situation will work out in due course. Remember take deep breaths but with all you have going on take them often. LY Dad
Denise,
Your outlook is WAY more positive than mine could ever be in your situation. I'm so sorry about all the housing issues. I think this is definitely a sign that you belong in Maryland! We anxiously await the news of baby boy #3--we're thinking about you and hoping all goes well.
Denise, how frustrating! But like others have said, your attitude is amazing. Life is so bizarre sometimes and we don't often understand it until later...I so hope this is the case with you.
I have to say you are very generous...25 cents! We live in a 4-plex and I only gave Aren one penny for every cigarette butt he picked up :)
Denise, you are so strong. I am so proud of you. Keep that wonderful sense of humor. God gave it to you to help get you through these difficult times. Guess you get your humor from...hum let me think...could it be the Knowles side of the family? Ya think? LOL Luv and hugs! Keep smiling!!!
He can ask our President what comes after a gagillion. That is so funny! Ya gotta give the young man credit for effort -- and you guys credit for opening your doors to the hooligan!
God has an amazing plan for you guys. Much better than the house you're in or the ones ya looked at. He's just keeping it a surprise!
You are remarkedly calm for all that has been going on the past few weeks. Hope you find another place to live sooner than later. As Sue says, you've got to keep a sense of humor and you certainly inherited one from your father. Love, Mom
Jackson is so cute. I hope you don't go broke paying him...LOL. Keep up the positive attitude, and something great will definitely come your way.
Congratulations on the newest additon...I am so happy everything went well and Grant Alexander has arrived! Love and hugs!
My hubby grew up on fluffernutters! Haha
Post a Comment