Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Jackson Turns Eight!

Dear Jackson,

Happy birthday!  When I think about how big you are getting I can hardly believe it.  It seems so recently you were running around, a little toddler, just like Grant.  You are in second grade this year and love being a leader in your class.  I am told that you are very honest and kind to your classmates.  That makes me so proud.  You are becoming a better reader and like to read about sharks.  You are a shark expert. 

 You are still quite the athlete.  This year you played baseball and basketball.  When I watch you play basketball especially, I feel like I can see just how you will play when you are older.  You are a great player and are very mature on the court!  You love to climb the rock wall at the gym, too. 

You do not see what is cool about Justin Bieber and think that Lady Gaga and Katy Perry don't wear enough clothes and are bad. You like to build Lego creations and play Angry Birds.

You love to laugh and tease.  You love to wrestle but sometimes have to control yourself because you forget just how strong you are!  You love to be with friends although you have recently decided that you don't want to play with friends anymore because you think you get too excited when you play.  And speaking of excited, when you are talking about something that you are passionate about your voice becomes very loud.  It is like you just have to let everyone know how cool it is! 

You like to get in the middle of any drama that might be going on at home and often have to be told that you are "not the parent".  You can get down on yourself and think that you are not good enough at this or that.  You are a sweet big brother to Grant.  You can often be seen helping or comforting him.  You are the first to give me a hug when I need one. 

You have spent the last month raising money for "blood cancer" at your school.  You raised about two thirds of the money that your entire class raised.  You asked friends and neighbors for cans so that you could raise more money.  You even wanted to ask the whole school to do the same.  You donated all of your savings, birthday and valentine money.  I am so proud of you for helping others. 

I'm so grateful that you are my son and I melt every time I see your smile with those two great big dimples.  Have a most wonderful eighth year.  I love you!

With loads of love,

Mom

This year the party was all about Legos.  The invitation picture:
The cake:
The treats:


The basketball.  (Daddy against 9 eight year olds):
The rock climbing:

The exhaustion:

7 comments:

Dawn P. said...

Denise: I didn't know you had a blog, I LOVE the story and the side navigation telling the "out of Jackson's mouth" stuff too! You are SO creative!

Alison said...

So he's entering the big kid years, and it sounds like he's a great kid still. That lego cake is awesome!

drmudgett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

I love you Jackson! I listened to Anna this morning having a pretend conversation with you and it turns out you are coming to visit us in our new house April! I told her you probably had school, but she said no, that you were going to come and see our new baby. We miss you. Love, Aunt Kim

Corinne said...

Wahoo! Happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Great job agian Denise. Jackson is growing up too fast it is exciting to watch you develope into a great man. I enjoyed our visit with you and your family. LY Grandpa

rick and cheryl said...

That party is awesome! Your cake is so awesome, too! I'm going to have to email you for ideas for Joseph's. He wants a Lego party, too. Where is the time going?