Saturday, June 6, 2009

How to get out of a traffic ticket...

I was blessed today. I was able to get out of a traffic ticket for the first time. (Well, except for the time that I cried and the officer let me go. That's a powerful tactic. Too bad I can't make myself cry. But I digress...)

The day had gone as well as could be expected. Luke had a fever and had been crying and wanting to be held most of the day due to teething or his throat, it was hard to tell. Grant and Luke were finally sleeping at the same time for a whole 30 minutes. Score! I knew that I had to wake the baby to feed him at 2:45 to get out the door by 3:20 when I was meeting my Realtor to look at some rental homes. I was able to get there on time and Grant even slept all the way there. He continued to sleep the entire time that I looked at the first of three houses. My somewhat peaceful day changed after looking at that first house, though...

Grant began to scream once we got back in the car. My Realtor got lost at least 5 times trying to find the next house, taking it twice as long to get there. When we finally parked and I got Grant out I noticed that he had a dirty diaper...and clothes...and car seat. And, since I was only going to be gone for thirty minutes I brought nothing with me except a diaper. No wipes, no new clothes. (I shouldn't have made such a rookie mistake.) So, after looking at house two and feeling like we had to rush because the Realtor was telling her kids to hurry up and get back in the car, I told her that I needed to change the baby. It was, well, nasty. I had to use his blanket as a wipe and then I left his sleeper unsnapped because it was so yucky. His little legs were left out with no covering. (Good thing it was warm.) Back in the car we went with Grant still screaming at the top of his lungs. After getting lost another 3 or 4 times, I heard little Grant dirty diaper number two! I continued to follow the Realtor right through a light that, apparently, was a no turn on red. Turn we did and I got pulled over. ARGH!!!

The officer informed me that we were almost in an accident, that someone could have died and that I would be getting three points on my license. I've never been good at getting out of tickets and I've been, embarrassingly enough, pulled over plenty of times. Maybe I'm not cute enough or I don't know how to flirt. I don't know. But something told me to be honest and I told the man about my life. ("I'm sorry. I didn't see the sign. I was following my Realtor. I'm looking for a house because my landlords are foreclosing and forcing us out. Oh, BTW, I have a newborn in the backseat. That is him screaming. And, yes, I know that my license is from Michigan but my tag says Maryland.") Anyway, the officer looked back and saw Grant yelling his lungs out, his little body all red from crying and half naked because of his delinquent mother, and he took pity on us.

And, so, all you have to do to get out of a ticket is to carry a baby for 9 months, deliver, be unprepared, and be forced to move. Let me know if it works for you :0)

In other news, upon my arrival home Jimmy told me that he thought Luke's problem was, indeed, his throat. He took Luke to the after hours clinic and we found out that he has Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. And, today, after Jackson came home from his soccer game guess who wanted to go and take a nap for the first time in 3 years? Looks like we've got two sick kids. Come to think of it, my throat isn't feeling that great either...

14 comments:

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Oh Denise sounds like an absolutely awful day. I am sorry. I hope the children get better fast! I also home the house search goes well and you find something soon. Luv and hugs

Natalie said...

What an awful day!!! I'm so sorry. That just plain sucks! At least you got out of a ticket though. Hope your boys feel better soon, and that you find a great home to live in.

Higleys said...

You win for bad day. We took Tom to the urgent care for a cut on his eyebrow from a fall into the ottoman. 5 Stitches. However I think screaming and poop trump stitches. Good luck next time on finding a house

Cindy said...

I think the crying baby excuse will work almost every time. When the officer is walking up to the car tell the kids something terrible (like "I'll never take you to McDonalds again") to induce the tears.

MaryBeth said...

That's an awesome tactic. Another good one is to have your kid wear a face mask and have a bald head and tell the Texas police officer that you were doing fifteen over because you were so excited to get back to AZ after your son's life saving bone marrow transplant...works like a charm ;)

hdknowles said...

That should be the pilot for a TV show. You have my sympathies, but I must say, it's kind of comical. Hope your next househunting adventure is a little less stressful. Remember to pack a diaper bag with extra supplies and clothing and leave it in the car.

Anonymous said...

Wow so sorry about that terrible day only good thing is that is is in the past now. Glad that officer didn't ticket you. How that the boys all get healthy soon. Maybe your realtor needs to get a GPS. LY Dad

Jana said...

Congrats on the ticket avoidance, but it sure came with a price. What a day. I hope this housing drama ends soon for you--what a relief that will be. Not like you're swimming in extra time or anything, but any updated pics of little Grant?

Karen said...

At least you got out of the ticket...that would have been a pain on top of all the other stuff. I think I got out of an expired registration ticket once because I had two carseats in the back and my school ID on.

Alison said...

I don't envy the laundry and clean-up job that Grant's blowout must have required.

Susan said...

What an awful day. I'm glad you got out of the ticket. I got a huge ticket this past fall. It hurt to pay the fine.

couplabz said...

A blow-out! I remember those days. If that officer hadn't let you off, he would have to be heartless. That is an excuse you couldn't even begin to make up. I hope y'all find a place soon and that the boys get better quickly.

brooke said...

Oh my gosh, I can totally relate to all of this and I never get out of tickets either. I'm so glad the cop took pity on you. I'm sorry to hear about the hand, foot and mouth disease. What a nightmare.

BTW, I'm Jimmy's friend from law school--do you remember me? I'm so glad I found your blog again!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your awful, no good, horrible day. Mike's mom has a few similar experiences for getting out of tickets. I think policemen sympathize with mothers who have screaming children in the car.