Grant slept most of the first week and Jimmy took good care of Jackson and Luke which gave me lots of time to rest. My mother, then, came to help us. And help she did. She rocked Grant for hours on end. The dishes were actually done for ten days straight and she even scrubbed the fridge! She also introduced Luke to hot chocolate and napping with another person...a habit which he has not been very happy to give up.
She also came with us on our first outing to Spenser Park. Thank goodness she did because Luke was a handful trying to scurry out into the lake every chance that he got. I can't believe that I thought it might be relaxing! We were able to get him into a swing which got his mind off of the water. Grant spent his first time at the park sleeping and Jackson was all about the playground.
We were so grateful to have members of our church and neighborhood bring us lots of yummy dinners. Thank goodness for that. It was such a blessing to have food around to eat for dinner and leftovers without needing to run to the store constantly.
Since then, things have been chaotic. Luke only occasionally shows his distaste for the new baby by stomping on his head, throwing things, or head butting him. Most of the time, though, he loves to give kisses and offer pacis to Grant. He often drags me to the monitor when the baby is crying and he runs upstairs to help me get the baby. He seems to want to be held by Jimmy and I, mostly, when we are holding the baby. I spend a lot of time carrying two children around. (My back is killing me, but they will feel loved, I hope!) He seems VERY interested in Grant's belongings. He would not let go of this blanket that our cousins sent for Grant and often can be found relaxing for long periods of time in the bouncy seat.
Jackson seems relatively unphased by the whole thing despite the fact that Grant cries 99% of the time that he is awake. Jackson has been very helpful on car rides sitting between the two younger boys. I even think that the doctor and I have figured out why Grant cries so much and have found things that help (but that is for another post). I have actually ventured out to the store with all three of the boys. (Hey, we HAD to get a converter box so that I can stay awake during the 4 am feedings.)
And so, we are figuring things out. I had forgotten how much time nursing and holding a baby take. The house is a mess but we are surviving which is all we can hope for right now. With transitioning to having three kids, having a fussy baby and dealing with the housing situation I definitely feel like I have been given extra strength. Most days it doesn't seem that hard. I know that I am being assisted by something greater than I. Many days I am able to handle all of the demands on me while listening to lots of crying and whining. It is almost like I'm floating, in a way. It is definitely an adjustment, but we will get there and we will have another little personality to add to the mix. How exciting!
10 comments:
I was exhausted just reading about your life! I remember those days and it does get much easier but the time goes so fast so enjoy every minute you have with your boys. They are beautiful! I love reading your funny things that Jackson says. He is so cute!
Bless you! Your mother's day sounded really nice, and how great to have your mom come and help out. Sorry Grant is such a fussy one. Does he have reflux? I guess I'll have to stay tuned. Your boys are beautiful.
Very nice post. Sorry things are so complicated now for you and Jimmy. Eventually things will settle down. Hang in there you are doing a great job. I look forward to my visit in a couple weeks.
Bless your heart. Sounds like you are handling things great considering all that is going on in your life. I know your dad is so anxious to come and be with you all. Your a super mom, a I know that things will get better and better! Keep up the good work. We love you all....luv and hugs!
Loved the pics of Luke in the bouncy seat. Just so everyone knows, I had just closed my eyes when Denise snapped that photo of Grant and I "taking a nap". It was nice to be able to help out - and get a little rest at the same time. Wish you all were closer. Love, Mom
It was great to talk with you yesterday! Sorry about the crying baby. But it will pass I remember when Anna cried a lot, mom said she cried more than any baby she had ever met. Not sure if that is any consolation but she is such a pleasant girl now, barely cries at all and always for a good reason. That day will come.
unreal!!! You are a mother of 3! I swear it was just you and Jimmy the other day in good ol' Provo! You are awesome and inspire me! Love you lots Denise--always will!!! :)
So now you actually have to be able to verbally control at least one of them when you are out because you only have 2 hands and 3 kids! The pictures are great. Hang in there!
Man, I am thinking about you. Reading this post brings back a lot of memories of my OWN summertime third baby :) That park looks so fun and I'm so glad you had your mom there to help out - she looks so thrilled to be with your kids :)
How nice to have a visit from Grandma. Jimmy is such a wonderful husband. Glad to know he takes care of you so well.
Love those pics of Luke in the bouncer. When I started getting neighborly donations of baby gear, the girls immediately tried them out.
Post a Comment