Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fathers

I love holidays. It is amazing to me that by giving a day a name it somehow gives us permission to make a big crazy deal out of it. Some holidays are just fun, but some, like today, are a time to reflect and be thankful.

This is my Dad. Isn't he handsome?



I cannot imagine what my life would be like if I didn't have a father or if I had a different father. He is perfect for me. (Really, he is the perfect father for anyone, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job at being a dad.)

My father has been there for me from before I was born. Being strong and making decisions that I know must have been difficult. He has loved me from the start and I know that that love will never end. As a child, he provided for our family. He would come home from work and play checkers with me (and even let me win!) I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to raise three daughters. Men and women are so different, but he was steady and tried to understand us. He has spent countless hours frustrated as he has helped me to fix lots of things in my home. Even if our philosophies have differed, he has always supported me. And he loves my kids.



Oh, yeah, he is hilarious, too.

And then, there is the father of my children. This is a man who had very little training in the father department. I am amazed at what a good father he is in light of having very little example of what it takes to be a Dad. And he isn't just a good dad despite his lack of example, he is a great dad by any ones' standards.

When we were "surprised" about Jackson's impending arrival, I'm quite certain he was perpetually terrified for almost 9 months. But, the day that Jackson was born, he fell in love and has never looked back. Luke already (at ten months old) goes crazy when he sees his Daddy. He just adores him. And it is obvious that he is Jackson's hero.



Get this, he honestly believes that no one else on earth could possibly love their kids more than he loves his kids. (Even me!) Although, that might be ridiculous, it is pretty endearing. He is patient, can be firm and just loves to play with the boys. Oh, and he loves their mother too :) And that makes for a pretty great dad.


Finally, there is my Heavenly Father. Now, I have no idea what it is like to be God. But, if my love for my children is any indication of His love for us, it must be a gut wrenching existence to see what we, His children, do to each other. I do know this, though, that He loves me. For some reason, He has blessed me with this great life. It is impossible for me to look at the beauty of this world or the "coincidences" that have happened in my life and not know that He is, that He loves us, and that His hand is intimately involved with even the small aspects of my life. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Happy Father's Day.

8 comments:

Corinne said...

That's really lovely Denise. Well said.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to observe Father's Day!

Cindy Kelley said...

What a touching tribute!

mmmandy! said...

Your dad is so awesome! I always smile when I think about him. He had a great way of making me feel completely loved and welcomed in your house, growing up- almost like I was a part of the family. :) And I love that picture of him from when he was younger- handsome indeed! It totally reminds me of Kim.
How blessed you are by all of the fathers in your life!

Scott and Megan said...

Denise that was beautiful and such a treat to be let in on the men in your life. Why did I not stalk you when you lived closer to me?! you are amazing the more I get to know about you! love you tons!

Anonymous said...

You must be so proud! What a handsome trio!~ By the way Jimmy, I'm now a democrat!~

Anonymous said...

WOW, What a present - the best. You have always been a great blessing to me - Thank you,I love you and your family and always will. Dad

Anonymous said...

What a nice discourse. He is a great father, and loves his girls so much. And I was so honored to be the sole recipient of his hilarity for a solid two weeks on our trip. You are very lucky to have him as a dad. Love Mom