Well, it has been weeks since this event, but I couldn't leave it out. On May 23, Jackson officially "graduated" from the College Park Nursery School. I was so happy that we were able to move after he completed his last year with his buddies. He has been in class with several of his friends since he was two. He had two teachers while he was there, Ms. Terri and Ms. Joan.
This school is an amazing cooperative school which means that parents volunteer and run the school. Parents volunteer in the classroom on a regular basis and take a job. This year I was the school president which was a very educational experience. Although, I had a lot of experience licensing daycare programs, I was able to learn even more about the dynamics of everyday life at a preschool. And it really was a cooperative process, running the school. The board members all did their part and through each of us doing a little, we had a very successful year.
We will miss the school tremendously. It really changed my philosophy about preschool education. I now see that a positive nurturing environment and a play centered curriculum are what is most important for these kids. I worked a couple of years ago at a Montessori preschool. Lots of people think it is great and really pushes their kids academically, which it does. After my experience at both schools I can see that the kids in the play centered school are FAR more social with one another, learn how to handle differences more easily, and are right on target with their peers academically. (And that is a huge change in my thinking from when we started three years ago.)
Here are some very short videos of the graduation. This first one is the processional. You'll notice Jackson trying very hard not to smile. I do that too, for some reason. Even while my father walked me down the aisle at our ring ceremony when we got married I felt like I couldn't smile even though I wanted too. I guess it is the shy girl that occasionally emerges from long ago.
This is one of the songs that they performed.
And finally, The Rock and Roll Freeze. The big dance number of the ceremony.
7 comments:
How cute!! I agree with you 100% about play-centered preschool. I think way to many people get way too serious way too quickly and it just often seems to lead to burn out or not understanding social interactions and realationships as well as others who had longer to play. Not to mention how much kids learn from interacting with each other in those early years, and throughout their school experience.
What a wonderful way to interact with other children yet also learn. Jackson sure did look like a star! He is such a handsome young fella. Love and hugs! Aunt Sue
I completely agree with both of you. It is so much better for the kids and they have to be in school for what will seem like the rest of their little lives, why not make the first few years as enjoyable as possible. Both my kids went to play centered preschools for 3 years before kindergarten and Patrick and I have never regretted it.
I remember the day Dayle graduated from preschool, I tried not to, but I did cry. It was such a milestone for us, especially since she was our first. Eli's graduation, he didn't even make it up front to the stage! I was proud of him for just coming in the door. And even though people didn't see him, he still sang the little songs with his friends in the pew next to me. Oh the memories!
What is up? I havn't gotten a email lately.
We will miss you at the CPNS picnic tomorrow!
Malin
Too cute! So, who takes the credit for teaching Jackson his "smooth" dance moves?
Did I see a little TYBO in
there! hehehehe...
I totally want to talk to you about your coop! there's some moms here starting one up from scratch and I'd love to have some ideas to share. I'll email you...
Post a Comment