Monday, June 16, 2008

It's all about being together.

Today is my parents 35th wedding anniversary. They are a great couple and complement each other in many ways. I have become the person that I am through watching their interactions with each other. Their marriage has also given me the confidence to know that I can have a good marriage, too.

Right now, they are about to get on a ship in Venice, Italy to celebrate. They will go on a cruise to Greece, Spain, France, etc. I'm so glad that they are able to go. (They sacrificed to send me to Europe when I was in high school and here they are years later going for the first time, together.)

Their trip, so far, has turned out to be anything but a magical celebration. The airline lost their baggage and they have been without clothes for almost 4 days now. They are having a hard time communicating because of the phones and language barrier. I'm sure that they will have a wonderful time, but it is probably very frustrating. The great thing about marriage is that you always have someone to share your experiences with, for better or for worse.





Happy Anniversary!

7 comments:

mmmandy! said...

One of my favorite memories of your parents is watching them do the Macarena, after learning it on one of the cruises they went on. Classic. :)
Happy, happy anniversary to a fabulous couple that has certainly taught me much and influenced my life. Here's to 35 more!!

Karen said...

Happy anniversary guys!!

couplabz said...

Your posts are always so eloquent and worded well. I wish I could be more like that. Anywho, I know I don't know your parents, but I have heard nothing but great things about them from my husband and his family. So Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Malin said...

That's so cool. My parents 35th anniversary is in October, but I don't think there will be any extravagant celebrating. I'm envisioning a quiet toast at home and a great meal cooked by my dad :) I wish i could be there, but we have an Atlantic Ocean between us, Oh well, I'll have to be there in spirit. Did you get them anything? I wouldn't know what to get my parents...

Malin

Karen said...

Oh, also, I know this isn't about the post, but I noticed Eat, Pray. Love on your bookshef. I read that a little while ago and loved it.

Jana said...

What a frustrating start to a trip! I can't wait to hear your mom's recap of the events--she's so emphatic. 35 years is truly an accomplishment...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Denise, on your lovely thoughts. We've arrived back home and have quite a lot of adventures to share on our journey over the past two weeks. Mandy - thanks for the reminder of the Macarena - too funny. For those interested, we finally got our luggage on day 5 of the cruise, while we were in Santori, Greece. The cruise line was great - washed the clothes we had with us twice (for free), and lent us formal wear for the first night. Can't wait to see what the next 35 years brings. Love, Mom