Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Detroit Zoo

The mother of all bloggers, Corinne, came up with the cool idea of a blog on which to post summer adventures. That way, people could find fun information and fun things to do. Well, months ago I joined and have yet to post any of my summer adventures. The places should be new to you. So, here is adventure number one...

Early in the summer, the boys and I went to the zoo as part of a playgroup activity with our church. Since I didn't know who I was looking for or what they looked like, I am amazed that I actually found the group. Upon entering the Zoo, I was highly irritated because they asked me to give them money. Money? It's a zoo, aren't they all free? Well, apparently not. I guess that is the wonderful thing about living near the nation's capitol. Go figure. After paying $20, or more I really can't remember, we entered the zoo.



I have to say that it was totally worth the money. The place is huge and they have some really neat features. Even a train that takes you from one end to the next, so that you don't have to walk your tired feet all the way back to the beginning. (Bring cash, it costs money too.) We really enjoyed the butterfly exhibit and the absolute best was the polar bear exhibit. It really was amazing.



There is this beautiful tunnel that goes right through the water, so you can see the sea lions and bears swim right next to or over you.



They had a penguin exhibit and the prairie dog exhibit had tubes that the kids could poke their heads in and be right in the middle of all the frolicking prairie dogs. We liked it so much that we bought a season pass. Well, Jackson and I did, Luke will grow to like it...

7 comments:

Jen said...

How fun! It looks like you guys had a great time (except for that one picture of Luke...LOL). We're going to a local zoo tomorrow. Can't wait!

holly b said...

what beautiful zoo! those or some fabulous exhibits.

Anonymous said...

What fun. Sorry Luke doesn't seem to be enjoying it too much. Jackson probably loved it very interesting exhibits.

mmmandy! said...

I know! Doesn't it stink that all zoos aren't free?! The Nat'l Zoo is the only one I've ever been to that IS free. I'm liking the sound of that polar bear exhibit! Can we come with you next time?

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Wow! Very inpressive zoo. Hope things are going well up north. Still very dry down here. Give the kids a hug from me. Love Aunt Sue

hdknowles said...

A penquin exhibit! Guess where I'm going when we come for a visit.

rick and cheryl said...

That looks like a great zoo. Much better exhibits than ours. Glad you are having fun.