Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Our trip to MD

Even though it has been over two weeks since we have been home, I didn't want to leave out the good time that we had in Maryland. The boys and I were able to go and spend two weeks with our family and friends, whose company has been incredibly missed.

The trip started off innocently enough. We were able to get three seats on the airplane together which was very encouraging considering I only paid for two. Here are the boys ready for take off.



Jackson was thrilled to sit next to the window. Of course, once were were flying he insisted on yelling, "We're going to die!" periodically throughout the flight. When the plane would turn it was, "We're going to crash!" over and over again. I tried desperately to stop him (and he did quiet down) but not before the woman in the next row, on her first flight EVER, was sufficiently irritated or scared, take your pick. I shouldn't forget to point out that it was July fourth and we were flying into Washington DC. Needless to say the added tension was not needed.

Once in Maryland we had a great time staying at Grandma Helen and Pop Pops house. We went right to the Kelley family cook-out to celebrate Independence Day. It was so nice to be back among our friends. Jackson had a blast on the trampoline with his "cousins".



Of course, it started raining and we decided against the fireworks until they were half over and Jackson, Pop Pop and I drove around chasing them. We found a good spot in the parking lot of my old high school and enjoyed them for a few minutes.

We were able to have fun with Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Jim going to the pool and to dinner. Jackson had a fabulous time with his friends Izzy, Noah and Greta at the camp that he has attended for the last three years. We visited with Mama, as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't as good about carrying my camera as I should have been. Izzy and Jackson spent lots of time together after camp whether it was for a play date or fun at the pool. He enjoyed playing with his buddies Steven and Junior. We were also able to hang out with Pop Pop.






The last night that we were there we went to the fountain at the University Town Center. Lot of our friends joined us and the kids had a blast in the fountain. I had fun chatting and listening to the reggae band and quickly catching up with Mandy who had just flown in from TX for a vacation.



(For more pictures, click on the Wilkins' Watch link at the top right hand corner of the page. There are just too many pictures to post here.)

I was able to out with two different groups of friends. I had a great time with Denise and Miriam at PF Changs and stayed up later than I have in a long time enjoying dinner at TGI Fridays with Tammy, Allison, and Karen. Karen and I went back to her mother's house and had a lot of fun catching up. Cindy even joined us for a while. It was so nice to hang out with Emily and to see all of our friends from Jackson's preschool.

I went by our house to look at something that our renter's asked about. The house looked completely different without our furniture, decorations and paint. It really didn't seem like our house anymore.

I was glad that we took the trip so soon after moving. Even though we had so much fun with all of our family and friends, I was able to see that living here in Michigan is also nice. We have the same things to do in a great environment. The thing that is missing are the people that we love. Now, I just have to figure out how to get everyone to move out here with us...

8 comments:

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

What a wonderful journal of your trip. It looked like you had a great time visiting and Jackson sure did have a good time with his friends and family. I am glad you get to come home to visit. I know your mom and dad are. Thanks for sharing your joys. Love and hugs. Aunt Sue and thanks for your comment on my blog site.

mmmandy! said...

I'm SO glad that I got to see you, even if it was really short. If you could help me out by coordinating your trip with mine next time, that'd be great. Love ya!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Sorry our trips didn't overlap--maybe next time you're here we'll get to see you again!

Karen said...

It was great to see you there! Shayne has always thought that Jackson was one of his cousins too:)

Anonymous said...

We sure enjoyed having you here. Hope you can make it back for Thanksgiving at Aunt Sues or Christmas. Hope Jimmy can come next time also. We will try to get out to Troy sometime before too long. This is the best blog ever. Thanks for coming. LY

holly b said...

fun times! that is great you were able to get back for a visit so soon after moving. that is funny about the plane flight and the "extra commentary". I love scoring that empty seat. I ask about it as soon as I get to the gate and once we board most people are more than happy to oblige when you have kids in tow and find themselves another seat... ; )

couplabz said...

Denise - I don't have your email address. Turtles are great. Of course, the kids have to wash their hands well after handling any of the pets, but the turtles are great pets. They sometimes scare Eli because they kick their legs around when you pick them up, but they are harmless. We have water turtles, so they are in a tank filled with water and they don't eat live bugs, they eat turtle food. Land turtles would have to be fed crickets or meal worms, whatever they eat. You get used to dumping crickets in a cage, it's just food. I would take him to PetSmart or somewhere and let him handle them a few visits before he decides. Maybe even see if you can show-up at the pest store during feeding time so Jackson sees that part also. The corn snake is a great pet too, really gentle. I think our next pet will be a bearded dragon, which are also wonderful pets, very personable and slow. Ultimately I would say just let him have as much time as possible with a pet before you purchase it and read up on the care of them.

CR said...

Jackson is hilarious, I wish I could have been on the plane with you. I sure do miss those Kelley 4th picnics. Good times!