I've been trying an experiment that I have wanted to try for a long time. It involves diet, so I didn't want to test my hypothesis until I finished nursing Luke.
A while ago I read that a large percentage of women have a gluten or wheat sensitivity. So about 2.5 weeks ago, I began limiting the carbohydrates that I eat. Prior to that, I was in one of my out of control eating periods where I was always thinking about food. (Seriously, you would've thought that I had just appeared here from some third world country and hadn't eaten for years.) I'm talking NO CONTROL.
Anyway, the first few days were hard. I had headaches and I was grouchy, but the most amazing thing happened after that. My food cravings disappeared. My family could eat whatever yummy treat in front of me and I could have cared less. I started to feel less tired during the day and I stopped waking up so much at night. (Except when I was woken up from external forces, i.e. Jackson, Luke and the Snorer.) Plus, I lost a good bit of weight, so what could be wrong with that?
Well, yesterday, Jackson wanted to make cookies and I obliged. We ended up making cookies from my cookbook Deceptively Delicious which is all about hiding healthy ingredients in kid friendly food. (It was the first time I used the book.) As I added an entire can of whole chick peas to the batter, I could not see how they would be yummy at all. So, I made the big decision. I would try ONE of these cookies and indulge in flour...for the good of humanity :) I have to tell you that these cookies were AWESOME. Jackson, the pickiest guy on the planet LOVED them. Luke loved them. And I loved them. So much so that I ate, well let's just say, more than one. Then, I figured that I had already screwed up the day's diet, so I had some yummy treats at church as well.
Back to my experiment. After my carbohydrate overhaul I have been SO exhausted today. Really, I'm in a fog. I can't even concentrate. (Well, that is nothing new, but it seems to be more than usual.) I feel so sluggish and would give just about anything for my children to be sleeping right now so that I could. My face is puffy and my wedding ring is so tight. I still don't have enough evidence to say that this is all about the sugar or the flour. So, I will try another week of low carb living and see what happens. But, this unexpected chick-pea-cookie-glitch has sure given me evidence that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I will return and report because I know that you are SO interested.
10 comments:
I actually AM interested. I think we underestimate the role of nutrition in all kinds of problems. Really keep posting about your observations. Also, I love the new background!
My brother has had gluten intolerance his whole life. It is much more common in Scandinavia than in the rest of the world. Do you have Scandinavian decent by any chance? Anyway, eliminating wheat and other grains from your diet isn't easy as it is in EVERYTHING including some candy, but doable. If you get a chance to go to an IKEA over there, they sell gluten free cakes...
Malin
Exactly what carbohydrates did you eliminate? We want specifics - maybe it's something to think about. You do have family members who are gluten sensitive. Share your secrets.
Denise I find this very interesting. You know I am gluten intolerent. However it effects me differently, when I cheat, I get very sick. I do cheat but it is miserable when I do. You might want to check out websites about celiac disease to see how it affects me. You can have carbohydrates however, rice, corn, potatoe etc. Just most other grains are off limits. Anything that has the words "modified food starch" in them are suspect also. Oh so many things. You really need to look at websites to see everything. You have other distant relatives that have had this disorder. So it wouldn't surprise me if you are affected some how. Love and hugs, Aunt Sue
Glad to hear you may have solved a food mystery. I've heard good things about that cookbook too. We found a house in college park, off rhode island...kind of near the Heath's. It's a house split into 2 apartments, so not quite as pricey as an entire house but with the benefits. Oh, and about your zoo post--I had the same reaction about paying for a zoo in Memphis! But then I discovered the free days. Once a week after 2pm it was free for residents. It was always packed, but made it more affordable!
I had read about that when Alex was little (Alex had a "gluten intolerence" and a whey intolerance when he was younger, and pretty much everything else intolerence))...I noticed a food/behavior connection in him early on, so I was careful to make him eat the right foods...also, I read recently that one of the blessings that come from fasting is a cleansing of the toxins that have built up over the month...so after I stopped nursing, I started fasting once a month, and I notice that it "resets" my cravings so that I do not have them nearly as bad...(and of course, don't forget to take into account your "time of the month" and how that makes your cravings change.)..keep up the experiments and keep us all updated..
I too am interested in this. I can relate to most of what you said in that post. And I applaud your strength in not having those foods.
I would love a list of foods that you cut out, or at least an idea of what types. Keep us posted.
Good for you, Denise. I tried to limit my caloric intake once. I've never been one to snack or crave foods. However, once I made the conscious effort to cut back I became a like a rabid dog and felt like I hadn't eaten in days. It's much harder than I ever thought it could be. Maybe your way of reducing is the way to go. Let us know if you keep up with it and if you see major differences.
this is interesting. I'm all for making healthier things for my family (and me!) that they'll actually eat!
Post a Comment