Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Junkfood Sunday

For me, the Superbowl has always been about the commercials and halftime. And, really, I'm only interested in halftime on occasion. (The last time I really loved the halftime show was when Michael Jackson did it at least 6 years ago.) Anyhow, I knew that Jimmy would want to watch the game. In preparation, I thought I would let Jackson know what a big deal this was. (Usually, he is not very fond of sitting and watching a football game for three hours and there is a lot of whining going on.) So, on Saturday night I told him that tomorrow was a special football game. I explained that it would be lots of fun to watch and one of the other great things is that we were going to "eat lots of junk food". Since he is obsessed with all food made from "junk" he was very excited and kept talking about it for the next 24 hours.

Sunday came and after church everyone but Jackson was VERY interested in taking a nap. So, we tried. We can usually hear what is going on downstairs while Jackson watches his movie, however there was some snoring going on which kept me awake. I turned on the sound machine to mask the noise which was a big giant mistake. When we awoke, this is what we found:



I guess he decided that if one type of junk food was good, any combination was better. He must have spent a lot of time locating all of the food because it is all very strategically hidden. His recipe included marshmallows, Doritos, fruit snacks, lollipops and popcorn. He was able to find some parfait glasses, that I have never used, filled them with soda and was sure to make Luke some milk in a sippy cup. He was so proud that we HAD to eat the "delicious" dish. Of course, we were very slow in partaking and he then began charging us. Daddy actually paid two dollars for a marshmallow...a MINI marshmallow! I think that is a little steep! Not only did we get to watch a very exciting game (which I found myself secretively watching in bed as I thought about falling asleep) but we had a fabulous? meal? thanks to our inventive five year old.

11 comments:

Malin said...

Cleaver Kid! Same here, Mattias was not interested in watching, but promise of junk food was something he was very much looking forward to, and pizza in front of the TV was exciting! I bet most 5 year-olds would have LOVED Jackson's take on junk food! Can't believe you have less than 100 days to go...

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

I am still laughing! Jackson is so cute! I can't imagine he got that all ready and didn't eat it. What a wonderful bowl of goodies! I imagine it was a wonderful evening. Luv and hugs! Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Jackson is amazing. He knows real jusnk food and takes after his grandpa I think he will make a great chef. Denise you are too good getting these pictures on your blog. You also tell the story so well. LY Dad

Jana said...

What a resourceful kid. But it's true, Super Bowl Sunday really is more about the food than anything else.

Kim said...

Way to go jack. Looks like I need to get together more ingredients to mail to our chef!

holly b said...

I LOVE it! what a funny guy. it cracks me up what he thought was junk and how carefully he "made" it.

Even though it was a BIG game for Matt, I sneaked a nap in the middle and watched the exciting end. Go Steelers!

Susan said...

LOL - That's so cute!

couplabz said...

That is awesome! Very considerate of him to help you with the food preparations. I never thought to try those food combinations.

Anonymous said...

ummmmm. yummy! got to have it sometimes ha!~

hdknowles said...

He definitely is resourceful. I love the fact that he found the parfait glasses you had never used. So where will you hide things in the future?

Karen said...

That's really funny. You can always tell something big is going on when it gets too quiet...