Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Goodbye Kindergarten

It is official and there is no denying it. Jackson is growing up. He finished kindergarten with a lovely celebration. We have been so pleased with the school and his teachers. Things started out a little rough for him since we had just moved. He also thought his teacher didn't like him. Mrs. Watson had a special talk with him and once she told him her first name, he was hooked. He often talks about how much he misses school and/or Mrs. Watson. She has also taught Barrington and I how to assist Jackson with his writing and reading skills. Since he is our first we were pretty much clueless. She was able to get him extra help with reading by going to see the reading specialist, Mrs. Zyren. Together, we were able to get him to improve a lot. He read a "first grader" book from the library this week and was VERY pleased with himself. We are so glad that his experience was a good one. He made lots of friends and is very motivated to continue learning.

Here is a video of the three classes singing Jackson's new favorite song, "Have You Ever Gone Fishing."




I love this song. Jackson gets so into it. He is behind the two girls in the front so it is hard to see him, but he is really getting down. I only wish that his class got to be in the front for this song. (I think the other teacher, who has been there longer, pulled rank to get her class in front!)



Jackson on his first day of Kindergarten:



After the celebration. Don't they look so sad to be leaving?



Jackson with his good friends; Maddy, Allison, Aiden and Maddy



His class are the first 14 or 15 kids sitting on the stage.



In a couple of short months he will enter first grade...for the WHOLE day. Time flies...

13 comments:

Karen said...

Kindergarten Graduation is so emotional. I helped with it this year at my school and they were just my kindergarten students I see in the lab for a half hour a week and not my own children and I was still all choked up! He is so cute. The songs are adorable.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

They looked so sad in the one picture. It is so good that you have videos of it to have forever. How he is growing up. Can't believe he will be in school all day next fall. He is so handsome. Luv and hugs Aunt Sue Love to all!

Malin said...

I was all choked up when Mattias graduated K a few weeks ago. Can't believe how much he has grown. Wonderful to hear what a great experience Jackson had in K, I think it truly sets the groundwork for how he will feel about school in the future. Now, on to summer vacation!

Anonymous said...

WOW Jackson is the man. First grader... He is going to do great. Love Pop POp

Kim said...

Congratulations Jackson! I am so proud of you!

Cindy said...

What a handsome young man!

Kage said...

And now he is just going to ZOOM out of control. Those kids were so cute!

Alison said...

Jackson is getting so grown up!

CR said...

He is adorable! Congrats on getting your first child through Kindergarten, that is a big feat!

couplabz said...

He was adorable! And so handsome! You could see him getting so into it in the back. Kindergarten is such a huge step, I remember being so sad when Dayle graduated. ;

Corinne said...

WOW! He looks so much OLDER!!

Susan said...

What will you do with all that time to yourself (and 2 kids) when Jackson is in first grade? It's always a little sad (while at the same time happy) to watch your kids grow up.

Jen said...

Too cute! It is hard to see them grow up and move on each year, but it's also so much fun to see them learn new things each day. Annie is already excited about being a 1st grader.