Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The first day of school

I was so torn when the summer ceased this year.  I really enjoyed hanging out with my boys this summer.  We did all kinds of fun outdoor activities and they love going to the child care center at the gym together.  Grant is getting older and I could sneak in a few moments to enjoy for myself while we were out and about without being constantly on alert.  (But not too many, as evidenced by the 5 minutes I lost Grant at the pool.  THAT was terrifying.)

However, the day came that I had to send Jackson off to third grade and Luke to preschool.  All summer long Jackson prayed to get his old kindergarten teacher as his third grade teacher as she was jumping up a few grades.  He didn't get his wish, though, so he was disappointed as he headed off.  We've all got to learn to deal with disappointment, don't we?  It is bittersweet to me because he is definitely not in the baby grades again.  I feel like this is the year when kids get meaner and the real work begins.  It is a good thing he has a great group of good kids at his school.


Apparently, a summer with me did nothing for his getting to know me better (as evidenced by this note he left for us on Curriculum Night.)
To translate: 
"Dear Mom and Dad,  Thank you for coming tonight.  This year we are going to learn about crayfish.  Did you see my journal with my name?  I love you guys.  You are extreme.  Thank you."
Do you see the bottom of the page, with the drawing?  That is where he was supposed to write about what mom and dad do all day while he is at school.  You will see that Daddy is doing push ups, because he works out.  And, me?  What is that circle that I am holding?  It is a doughnut, because I "eat doughuts" all day!  What?

Anyway, Luke was excited to begin school...until we arrived.  He grasped my hand with all of his might the minute we walked through the door.   As brilliant as I am, I had set up play dates during the summer with a little girl who I knew was going to be in his class.  It's a good thing, too, because when she arrived and ran to him to build blocks together, he gave me a peace sign and I knew all would be well.  
 I choose the school because it is only a block or so away from Jackson's school and it reminds me of the preschool I attended as a child.  We did a Christmas pageant, and so do they.  That (combined with the great feeling I got when I visited) was enough for me. Luke has done far better than I expected as he has a very difficult time separating from me.  He goes three mornings a week and he has only had trouble on two occasions.

I've come to enjoy the routine (and having only one child three mornings a week).  Both boys are happy and doing well.

3 comments:

rick and cheryl said...

Denise, you are so extreme! I love that! What a treasure! And also, cool car party for Luke! You have such great ideas & pull them off so well.

MaryBeth said...

Seriously, the donut thing is HILARIOUS!

hdknowles said...

Back from my conference at a fabulous hotel and I get to read a new post from you. Love the pictures. Glad Luke is settled into school and Jackson is with some of his friends at school. Grant must be loving his time alone with mommy. Guess we won't have donuts in the house next time you visit (and a new Dunken Donuts opened up in Queenstown)....