Monday, October 3, 2011

Summer Fun in Maryland, Part 1: Friends

Our bi-annual trip to Maryland happened again this year.  I actually drove with the boys by myself!  I was nervous, let me tell you.  We drove about 5 hours and stayed the night in a hotel.  Then, we met my father who graciously agreed to meet us halfway.  We split the boys up at that point, which was fabulous.  I was really proud of the boys during our travels.  It helps SO much to eliminate fighting when there is a space between each kid.  That didn't happen on the way home when Barrington joined us.  We had to have the boys sit side-by-side to make space for our luggage.  OH, those lucky people who own a mini-van.  I actually can't wait to become one of you!

Anyway,  we were able to see many old friends.  I just love these people.  They are the ones who know me...who I am and who I was.  I love that our kids can play together and that I know they love and accept me no matter what.  

We first got to stop at our friends, the Kelleys.  They were headed out of town but made time for us to hang out at their home swimming and causing craziness.  Karen and Alison were visiting from Arizona and Utah and I was so glad to see them, if only for a few hours.  I have no pictures of this day, but believe me it was lovely.

We got to hang out with my friend Denise, who used to live very close to our house in Maryland and Miriam one of my closest friends from high school.  Our oldest kids were in playgroup togther when they were just a year old.  It is fun to see them grow up.  This is after some slip-and-slide fun.

It is also thrilling to see that things never change between these crazy boys!

We got together with the Howells at their posh home on the Potomac River.  They've moved WAY up since the days that they used to babysit me when I was a tiny baby.  I love knowing that these guys will be there for me when I need it and that they get me all the way through.

 We had so much fun swimming and chatting.  Then, Dave told all of the grandkids that he would take them out on the boat, so I tagged a long and we went on a ride.  We hung out near the dock and the kids played tag in the grass for hours.

We hung out with the Jackson's several times before they went off on a trip and left us!  Izzy and Jackson have hung together since they were little babies and have a ton of fun together.  I've known Emily for longer than I can remember and she is one of my favorite people on the planet.


We went to the fountain for a little wet fun on a hot, hot day.  Our old next door neighbor, Jr, came along and he and Jackson had a blast catching up.  Barrington joined us and actually go in, much to my surprise!  It was really nice seeing the boys have fun with Daddy.  I was the photographer, but I regretted bringing my camera because it would have been great to jump in!
Drying off:

My parents graciously agreed to babysit my kids so I could go out an meet some friends from high school.  The only person I have consistently kept up with in this group is Rachel, but it was amazing to see everyone and to reminice.  It was my first visit to the National Harbor and it was beautiful.


 I got to go on a walk with my sweetie pie, Kelly, which seems to be our new tradition.

I really believe that friends make life more fulfilling.  There have been many times when I have felt like I don't have good friends near me.  Being with the people who know my best, the ones who were with me as I grew up keep me grounded and help me to know I am never alone.











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise you are blessed with more close good friends than anyone I know. They are as fortunate to have you as you are to have them. You cherish them and I am sure they also value your friendship. This is a great blog entry. Love, Dad

brooke said...

You are so brave to drive down with your kids by yourself! That inspires me to take my kids to Dland by myself..though I am very scared.

The pictures of you and Jimmy and the boys are darling. You guys don't age and you look like models.

You are lucky to have great friends.

I am dying at the Howell's house..for reals! And on the river..so nice.

CAn't wait to see more of the trip.

Corinne said...

Fantastic, Denise!! So much fun to see old friends, I love it :)