I've been thinking a lot today about a commercial for Suave Shampoo. I can't find a video clip of it, so I will have to describe it.
It begins with a beautiful woman showing off her wedding ring and then shows several pictures of how her looks go down hill after she has kids. Then, it says; "89% of mothers say they let themselves go after they have children." Blah, blah, blah... The point is that Suave can make you beautiful again, I guess.
Well, I doubt that Suave can really do that. However, I really love the commercial. Probably because I relate so well to it. As I glance upon myself, right now, I am wearing sweatpants with baby food stains on them. And, as long as I'm being honest, I wore them yesterday and wiped yesterday's baby food stain off with a wet wipe this morning. (I was pretty proud of myself for "cleaning" them.) I have a baby spit up stain on the front of my stretched out shirt. (My shirts always seem to look ok in the morning, but lifting them to feed the baby all day long just ruins any effect other than the frumpy look.) I'm wearing one black sock and one navy blue sock. My legs have more hair on them than when I was 9 months pregnant and I couldn't reach my legs to shave them. My hair is in the universal pony tail style because it is due for a good washing. And the sad thing is, I would've gone out in public just this way if my plans hadn't been canceled.
Now, the thing is, I know that I am not alone. I look around my sons' preschool and many of the moms look this way. I wish that I could start a movement of sorts by saying something inspirational, like: Mom's Unite. From this day forth, we shall take the time to make ourselves oh-so presentable. But, alas, I know that isn't realistic. (At least not for me for a few more months until Luke is getting around on his own, not nursing, and eating finger foods.)
So, for today, I will not worry so much about how I look. I will remember how blessed my life is because of my children. I will enjoy each warm cuddle with little Lukie because I know that it won't be long before I am longing for these days.
And, maybe, I will give Suave a try too...
1 comment:
I'm right there with ya. Oh, and I love that commercial too. :)
Post a Comment