Sunday, March 16, 2008

To everything, there is a season...

Today started early. I got a call at 1:30 am from my friend and neighbor, Denise, telling me that her water had broken. She wasn't due to have the baby until April. I took care of her kids for the first part of the day. Her baby, Dylan Peter, arrived this morning. I guess that he just couldn't wait to greet the world!

In contrast, I was informed that a friend of ours from church, Katie, passed away. It wasn't unexpected as she has been fighting a brain tumor. Still, it was surprising. I've only known her for a little over a year, but her example has touched my life. She and her husband, Will, are blind. He is an amazing singer. He was nice enough to sing How Great Thou Art at Luke's blessing.

Although, I have worked with people who are blind many times in my career, there is something so different about Katie and Will. They give me such an appreciation for seeing the beauty within. Will thinks that Katie is the most beautiful woman in the world and, I believe, that made her feel as if she was. I think of the misconceptions that my eyes portray to me. Although, I am so grateful for my eyesight, I think that there must be something very freeing to not notice age or race or society's standard of beauty. I wonder how different the world would be if we didn't have these first impressions that encourage us to make judgments.

Will and Katie converted to the Church fairly recently, but their testimonies of Jesus Christ and His teachings are like a bright beam. I hope that Will can remember that, because of their sealing, they will live together after this life. I pray that he will find peace and comfort at this time. I know so many thoughts and prayers are with him.

I am so grateful that Dylan came into the world on this day. He has reminded me that we lived with our Heavenly Father before we came to this earth. And to Katie and Will for reminding me that love can endure forever.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I loved reading your thoughts this morning. They really helped me as I just read the email about Katie. What a blessing for them to be sealed and you are so right about all of the many blessings that Will and Katie had in this life and how they will continue through out the eternities. Reading about your day put things into perspective for me. Thank you. We will miss you guys so much, but I am so glad that you decided to step up your tech game and create this blog. It gives hope to folks like me who think they have no time to blog. Now I can say that if you can do it with a new fairly new baby and a very active Jackson, I can do it too. You are my hero :) Thanks

mmmandy! said...

Nice work! Love the blogs. I'm especially impressed with the fact that Jackson has a blog. I wouldn't have thought of that. Now we'll never know if you made a typo or if that's what he wanted you to write! clever.

Emily told me about this sister in your ward that passed away. I met her and her husband only a couple of times and yet I could tell she was a GREAT lady. Thank goodness for the Gospel and the knowledge we have because of it!