Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Two Brooms

Quite soon after moving into this house, we learned that there would be a need for two brooms. Apparently, our cat decided that she needed to rid the neighborhood of all vermin. Upon arising nearly every morning for two months, we would find an innocent mouse or two laying on our walkway. The cat was so proud of herself that she would lay the sweet murdered rodents in nearly the same spot each day for us to find. (I suppose if we were her cat family, we would be impressed.) Jimmy's job was to dispose of the little bodies before Jackson had a chance to see them. That only lasted a few days before Jackson decided to run out to find out if we had, yet another, gift waiting for us.

Once Jackson became involved that was the start of the mouse funerals and a whole new way to take care of the bodies. This is when the broom was only allowed outside and designated for mice only.




The mice had to be buried, but not before a prayer was given for their tiny little souls. We now have a mouse graveyard in our backyard. Luckily for us, not so much for the mouse population of our neighborhood, we believe that our cat has successfully taken care of the problem and haven't seen a mouse in over a month. One morning we did have a gift of a sweet little bunny, may he RIP, but that is the last we have seen for quite some time.

This wild side of our cat did not help, however, when we had a little creature living in our kitchen. As you may remember, we thought it was a squirrel. We were wrong.



I have to say that I was pretty proud of the fact that I trapped this little chipmunk by myself. This is Jackson telling the story of our resident rodent and his journey to freedom.

12 comments:

couplabz said...

Sounds like your cat likes where you live. Nothing like a little adventure.

That's cute that Jackson buries them. It's a good thing the deaths have stopped or your whole yard could be a mouse cemetery.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great story. But I am glad Nala didn't get to the chip monk first. Great story telling Jack.

Michelle said...

good call on the two brooms. I wouldn't want mouse guts spread across my kitchen floor either!!

Hey, do you ever have problems uploading videos? Every time I try, even a short clip doesn't work. I am wondering if I'm missing something.

Corinne said...

are you living in a wildlife preserve or something??? :)

Anonymous said...

This is soooooo funny! You kill me girl! These are the great memories we will talk about in our old age!~ I LOVE the broom idea!
Love you~
Bonnie

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise, Your Blog is the best. I can hardly wait to check it out each day. Jackson, you are the best at telling stories. You do a super job. Love and hugs, Aunt Sue

Jana said...

Yay! A happy ending. The chipmunk lives and you have re-claimed your house. You are MUCH braver than me--caging small animals and hosting rodent/bunny funerals. Don't you gag, even a little?

Virginia said...

I can't stand the idea of any type of rodent living in my house, running around like they own the place. Ew! Good idea with the 2 brooms. I love, love, Jackson's comments. I always end up laughing out loud for days everytime I think of them. He's hilarious!

Karen said...

I would have two brooms too...thankfully we don't have many rodents here...

Denise said...

Jana,
I never attended the funerals. They were father son moments.

Anonymous said...

Great story. We have the lovely mice issue also b/c the field behind us. I hate it.

Pincockbears said...

wow, he's sooo expressive! "daddy ran and ran and ran"... i felt like i was right there. great storytelling, Jackson! and way to go, Denise, for being all animal-friendly. Thanks for saving, Alvin.