Friday, October 31, 2008
Halloweens of Old
My mother really let her talent shine when it came to Halloween. I am pretty sure that she made all of these costumes. Someone had to sew the "H" on my sweater to make me an official Hyattsville cheerleader. (I think I was a cheerleader nearly every year.) I don't know where Stephanie got the idea to be a Pilgrim, but there must have been some parental coaxing happening there. Good Time Helen made costumes for herself and my father too. I remember them being a bird and a bee and one year she was a set of lips. Anyhow, the little Extra Terrestrial in this picture is my little sister, Kim. This costume is amazing! When did my mother have the time to make it? A couple of years ago, I searched my parents house from top to bottom and couldn't find the E.T. costume anywhere. It is a mystery what happened to it...maybe it was taken via space craft (or flying bicycle) to it's rightful owner? My mother is having surgery on her knee today and will be home for a bit recovering. I'm thinking that this is the perfect time for her to start making costumes for the grandkids for next year. I promise we will find, and win, a costume contest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh, look how cute you looked. I can't believe your mom made all those costumes. Way to go, Helen. I started off making the girls' costumes each year but have gotten lazy this year. Plus, I never did do anything too fancy in the past.
Your mom is so cute for doing that. Moms are great. You just reminded me about my mom making all my homecoming/prom dresses. (Not to mention my wedding dress.)
I had no idea Helen was so crafty! I LOVE the E.T. one. It's fabulous!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN---Yes it is true Helen made those and several other costumes over the years. Sounds like a great idea for her to make costumes for our cute and handsome grandchildren. She is laying on the couch with her leg on a pillow. She can't go upstairs for several days. What better past time than making some costumes. Her surgery went fine. Denise you keep posting the best things. How do you do it.
That ET costume deserves FIRST PRIZE. Amazing, seriously.
Aw that is the sweetest picture. Helen did a great job on those costumes! I remember the year Roger made costumes for us. He is the sewer in this house. He made us all pumpkin costumes WAY before pumpkin costumes were ever out. Then he made a vine and Kristy, and Lee were very young, we went to a party as a pumpkin patch all connected by the vine. People love it. Lee was about 2 or 3 that was oh my 28 years ago! My how time flies! Love and hugs, Aunt Sue
"Good Times Helen" hahahaha! I totally forgot about "Disco Pete" and "Good Times Helen"!! MAN, I miss you guys!!!
And since we're placing costume orders for next year, put me down for an ET also please! :)
Is there anything your Mom can't do? I love the pic--what a great cheerleader you were.
Slowly getting off the pain meds. Boy, I was very crafty in my younger years. Peter said since I have some time on my hands right now I should start making costumes for next year. Right now, of course, it would be hard to sit at the sewing machine while trying to elevate my leg. Don't forget the pick up a sewing machine when you're home for Christmas, Denise, and you can begin working on the costumes for next year. And don't forget to make one for Anna!
I think a pink Dinosaur would be good. Pink really is her color.
Post a Comment