Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving Thanks

Our Thanksgiving this year was a lot different than in previous years. I was actually a little worried that I would have had a sad day, missing our big family gatherings. In the past we have alternated between going to Staunton, Va where my Aunt Sue has organized a huge family reunion type meal for at least 30 people and staying closer to home. The years that we would stay closer we would go to two dinners, one with Barrington's family and one with my family. I really missed seeing everyone but we did end up having a really nice time with our little family of four. (And we don't even have to share any of the leftovers!)

I wanted to make the day special so we had a goal to go to a big parade in Detroit. However, we didn't get up and ready early enough. So, we took a little drive to the Detroit LDS Temple. I'm not really sure why we did since it is really small, was closed, and barely has any grounds to walk around. However, it was gleaming and beautiful. We also saw a beautiful Nativity scene outside of the Stake Center that is next to the temple. On the way home, we stopped to give some canned goods to a place that was collecting. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and cooking. (And I took a quick trip out to Boston Market to pick up some turkey since I forgot to defrost ours before I left with the boys on our trip!) Lot of our family called to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving and my friend, Denise, called because she thought I might be having a lonely day. How sweet!








Before bed we took three minutes to list the things for which we are thankful. This is our family list.

The whole wide world, monkeys, animals, turtles, Jesus Christ, Daddy, Mommy, Luke, Jackson, superheros, a job, beautiful snow, that we have money, books, Pop Pop, Grandma, Stephanie, Kim, Drew Mudgett, teachers, baby Anna, Mama, Grandma Nancy, Grandpa Jim, Daddy's brother, Nala, Nala's beautiful eyes, the smell after it rains on a spring day, pools, Daddy's nose, beautiful temples, games (so that we won't be bored), homework, soccer, the Priesthood, light so we can see, the scriptures, glasses, Heavenly Father, birds, worms, vegetables, soda, our growing baby, friends, pens to write, the Holy Spirit, hats, Christmastime music, sleep, and hair.

Our three minutes turned into six before I even looked at the clock. We could have gone on for a lot longer. Thinking of all the blessings we have (and the way Jackson expressed some of them) really made me thankful for the act of counting our blessings. So I decided to make my own list after the kids were in bed:

Holding a warm cup of hot chocolate when my hands are freezing, the thrill and fun of riding on water slides, quiet moments of solitude, soaking in a hot tub, a good massage, a back scratch, the anticipation of a favorite television show coming on, the convenience of computers and all that they help us do, GPS, phones to talk to friends and family, road trips, the feeling of the warm sun on my skin, friends who accept me and anticipate my needs, girls night outs, naps (for me or my kids), creating, holiday decorations and the memories that they elicit, hugs, Jackson's smile and sensitivity, Luke's cuddles and calmness, having a husband that has a good job so that I can stay at home with my kids, having a husband that is hands on with his kids, the second that Daddy comes home from work and I can take a breath!, that kids go to sleep a couple hours before parents, my eyesight to see all of the beauty in the world - leaves changing colors, spring blossom "bridges" over the streets, my husbands strong testimony of the Gospel, quiet times when the Holy Spirit touches my heart, driving by myself on a warm day with the windows down, uninterrupted sleep, the wonderful family that I was born into with parents who would still do anything for me, answered prayers, the health of myself and those that I love.

7 comments:

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

What a wonderful list of things to be thankful for. Sounds like you had a great day. Sometimes the simplest things are the greatest blessings. We are all so blessed each and every day and we overlook some of the biggest blessings simply by not taking the time to stop and look around us. We need to stop look and listen. You do that and are a shining example to each of us. Keep on listing your blessings that others will realize how the smallest of blessings are in truth our largest ones just overlooked by us each day. Luv and hugs, Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are have many blessings to be thankfull for but the greatest things that I am thankfull for is you and our whole family.We are so fortunate to have a such a grand loving family. Like usual another inspiring post....

Virginia said...

Awesome post!

Donna said...

Love your list, Denise! Sounds like you had a great holiday. You really are very blessed that you can stay home with your kids. That's something I'll always regret. Oh, the decisions we make can have such an impact (for good or bad) on ourselves and those around us! Looking forward to seeing you guys in December!

hdknowles said...

We are so grateful for the lovely young wife and mother you've become. It sounds like your first Thanksgiving "on your own" went well. We are looking forward to your visit in December (and don't worry - I have plenty of Christmas wrapping paper if you need it). We are so fortunate for all of our blessings - we've been blessed with wonderful daughters, sons-in-laws, and grandchildren. Heavenly Father has definitely watched over our family. Love, Mom

Lissa said...

Thanks for sharing! It's so fun to see the world through kid's eyes isn't it!?!

holly b said...

I loved your thankful list. we had our first solo thanksgiving last year too. it was definitely different, but cozier in a less hectic way. that's neat you stopped by the temple. we have a small temple too in Medford. while they may not be as grand as the DC Temple, they still have that special sacred feel to them.