Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Last Minute Cure for Winter Boredom

I have been going crazy lately. It could be the weather, the hormones from pregnancy, or the fact that we have lived here for a while and the excitement has worn off. Whatever it is I have been feeling a bit down and out. Then, I read Jackson's school schedule for the week. No school Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. When I realized that Barrington has only Thursday off, I thought I would just blow up thinking of how we would spend so much time with no plans.

I've been on this paying off debt kick and have been pretty stingy with where money goes. However my friend recently gave me some great advice... "Just because you are paying off your debts doesn't mean that you shouldn't live your life." And, so, the boys and I took off for Boyne Falls, Michigan to spend the night at the lodge and play at the indoor water park. It was a lot farther than I realized (all the way across the state near Lake Michigan to be exact.) But we got a great deal and there was hardly anyone in the hotel because the holiday vacationers wouldn't be arriving until after we were leaving.

Now let me set the vacation scene. I'm in the car listening to some nice relaxing tunes. Jackson is playing his Leapfrog. This is the scenery.



Miles and miles of this beautiful winter scene. Just looking at the pictures make you feel calm and peaceful. Quiet winter beauty. What a perfect time to reflect on the beauty of this world, right?



Wrong! Because THIS is what was simultaneously happening.



So much for peace and relaxation. I really wasn't expecting it anyway. We actually had a great time. We got to the very nice resort which offers lots to do and is right outside of a little ski mountain. Inside the lodge there is the enormous Avalanche Bay Water Park. We went and had a blast both days.



My activities were pretty limited because I had Luke and there was no one to watch him while I did the more adventurous rides. We did spend a lot of time on the Lazy River. Luke loved it. He just rested on me and put his head on my shoulder while we floated time and time again. Jackson tried out the surfing simulator.



We also witnessed the most curious thing this morning while eating breakfast at the lodge. We were the only people in the restaurant and seated next to a big wall of windows. All of the sudden at least 9 turkeys came flying in and landed just outside, then began to walk away. The wait staff ran over to take a look. They said that they had never seen a turkey anywhere around there. I like to think that these were the brave lucky guys who got away the day before Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Karen said...

The kid screaming in the carseat during an otherwise great situation is the story of my life...Looks like you had a great time though. How cool to see those turkeys!

Corinne said...

I had to show that picture of Luke to Clint. It slays me - MAN have I had a kid like that in my backseat before! I'm glad you found a neat place to visit :)

Kim said...

Lets go to RC at Chrismas!

Donna Black Davis said...

I'm so proud of you for taking off and going on a vacation with just the kids! Sounds like it was just what you needed. The scenery really does look gorgeous and the place sounds like it was really wonderful!

Malin said...

I know the feeling. The kids go stir crazy at home. Awesome that you went away with them yourself. Love the pic of Luke-been there. I don't know that I could manage what you did, I can barely go to the pool with 2 kids myself, let alone a vacation!
Sounds like you had fun though. Good luck with paying off debts, and hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise what a neat adventure. I am sure the children had a great time and will remember their special trip with mom. Sure missed you at Thanksgiving but there will be plenty more for you to come to! It was so nice to meet Cliff and his family and this was Stephanie's first Thanksgiving with us. She sure pitched in and helped in the kitchen! What a trooper. It was a wonderful day. I just love having everyone here. I can not believe they all drive that far but it is wonderful and I love having them all here and seeing everyone. Love and hugs, Aunt Sue

Jana said...

Look at you, super Mom! Taking the kids on an over-nighter by yourself? Sounds like a fun trip--way to take the bull by the horns and make the best of a long, solo weekend.

holly b said...

you are a supermom for embarking on that trip! sounds like a great way to change things up a bit. :)