(Disclaimer: This post contains content that those of the male persuasion might find objectionable. This means YOU, Dad. There is frank talk of female undergarments. Please read at your own risk.)
This post has been a long time in the making. I'm so fired up right now! Let me explain what has led to this camel's back breaking straw.
About six weeks ago, I realized that my pants were getting just a bit snug. (Yes, this is to be expected when one is expecting.) Anyhow, since all of my bigger/maternity clothes are in England with my sister right now, I decided to take myself to the mall to get some new, bigger, pants and a new, smaller, bra. (I had just stopped breastfeeding, so just trust me.)
While at the mall, I made my way into Victoria's Secret to be measured and to find something, anything, that didn't have flaps. With the help of an amazingly nice sales person, I learned that either I would have to purchase the largest size that the biggest bra making company in the world makes and "arrange" myself to to make it work or I could go right across the way and see what Lane Bryant had to offer. I was already so frustrated by trying on 15 bras and finding nothing that I could have cried. (Not to mention how this pregnancy has made me VERY emotional.) But, alas, I jaunted right over and checked out the cool store for voluptuous women.
As I am so obviously trying to make sense of the bra section, I am offered no help. (And just to let you know, people are generally VERY helpful here. It is in no way like shopping in MD.) There is someone at the cash register looking a little bored and a couple other sales people hanging out at racks discussing what I can only assume was an incredibly important top secret matter of Lane Bryant security. The point, I don't think any of them even thought to help me. As time went by, more customers came in and were immediately helped. I was annoyed, so I left and bought the mediocre fitting bra from VS.
I was feeling pretty good that I actually found something to buy and headed to my next stop for a pair of pants at the ultra exclusive, Sears. While taking a little time to peruse the racks of jeans near the entrance to the store I heard a woman's voice say something like, "Those are for skinny girls." I looked up to find that this random customer could only have been talking to me because there was no one else around for at least a mile radius, more or less. By the time my surprise wore off and I thought of a witty response, she was gone.
To recap: on this ONE shopping trip I was ignored by the Lane Bryant staff because, I can only assume, that I was not big enough for them to grace me with their clothing expertise AND a random shopper at Sears decided to take it upon herself to inform me that there was no way I would ever fit into any jeans on that particular rack. (Which, by the way, I did, I bought, and I am still wearing them 7 weeks later! OK, I can only zip them up about 1/8 of an inch, but still.) So apparently, I am too thin AND too fat.
So here is the straw: I just watched the finale of America's Next Top Model. (Yes, I am admitting it for the betterment of womanhood.) After the decision was made, the girl who ended up being the runner up confided to the camera that she has never thought of herself as being pretty. And then, so emotional that she can barely speak she says, "but now I do." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This girl almost won what is probably the biggest modeling (beauty) competition in the country, if not the world. And she is only NOW realizing that she is beautiful?
What has that girl at Sears bought into to point out that she thought a random stranger was too big? (Maybe that was the only way she knew to deal with the pressure that she feels?) Why am I and pretty much every female I know convinced that we are too fat or too thin or hate something about our faces? Why do we exercise to lose weight or just give up instead of exercising to be healthy? Why do we risk our lives to surgically alter our appearance, risk skin cancer to be tan, put on 15 layers of makeup to cover what? Why do I remember that idiot in high school who walked by and said, "I hope that's diet." while I was attempting to get a drink from the soda machine but I can't even remember someone on Facebook who I worked with every day for three months in college? Instead of marveling over the miraculousness of my body why was my joy over finding out about this new baby just a little less full because I was finally only 8 pounds away from my wedding weight? And why do I even remember what I weighed on my wedding day?
Seriously, what is wrong with us? Is it the media? Is it the way we are objectified? Is it perfectionism? Is it ourselves?
I just switched over to You Tube to find a commercial for Dove that I wasn't able to find, but I did find this one:
After watching this I am thinking, maybe the media does have more to do with this than I had originally given it credit. I mean, go to an art museum and look at what was considered beautiful before there were TV and billboards bombarding us.
So to all of you, my most brilliantly beautiful friends and family, watch this and see if you don't look just a little bit like this beautiful woman before the gazillions of people help her to become more "evolved".
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. I am beautiful. Let's lift each other as women, stop judging, and stand up when we see one of our sisters put down. If you promise to pay less attention to the images out there and more attention to the astoundingly perfect way that God created you (and do the same for your adorable little girls), I will too. We will probably never completely get there, but at least we can try...together.
12 comments:
Oh friend. Amazing post. Body image issues have plagued me since they day I could see I was different than the girl next to me. I don't know if I ever thought of myself as something other than gangly and gross until I was in college. And then it was just "not really gross." It's so hard not to pass on those feelings to your kids, but I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin now that I hope I can teach Sheely to have more of a healthy self image.
What a wonderful post. You are a beautiful woman and mother. Your children are so blessed. All of us have image issues. We all need to be thankful for what the Lord has blessed us with. He gave us the beauty that we radiates from within. Outward beauty is never as important as inward beauty. I have struggled all my life with my weight and finally realized that other than health issues does it really matter? I have so many blessings that all I care about is honoring my Lord and being the best person I can be and loving my family. I am proud of the woman you have become and can hardly wait to see if you are going to be blessed with another little boy or a sweet little girl. God bless, Aunt Sue
Great post! I feel like a huge aspect of beauty that gets overlooked in our society, is confidence...Confidant woman are beautiful woman! especially faithful, humble, happy women who are confidant in their faith. Some of the most beautiful woman I know would never be able to shop from the "shinny girl" rack...You are beautiful in your humility, in your mothering, and just by being you!
Thanks for getting this out there for us. I have been secretly hoping for certain transformations before we get to baking our next bun, but I should jsut get over that. Your post reminded me of an inspiring website of photos of REAL MOTHERS BODIES and the beauty of them! Enjoy (not at work though): theshapeofamother.com
Amen! I think about this all the time, too. I was at the gym the other day and was stretching a few feet from another woman stretching. This woman was very skinny but very beautiful, too. I happened to glance at her just as she was looking someone up and down alot. I looked over to see who she was so interested in (I was hoping a male hotty...LOL). It was a another ridiculously skinny and beautiful woman. I looked back at the original woman just to see if she would do what I thought she would do, and she did. She proceeded to look down at her own body in what seemed like a critical way. It's so sad that our society/media forces this self-loathing garbage down our throats.
I'm already noticing my own girls (Annie especially) saying that they want to look like certain attractive girls in commercials/movies/shows/etc. (like all those Disney "princesses"). Annie even came home one day from school and said she wants straight, blonde hair like her pretty friend at school. I also noticed that the dolls she prefers in the American Girl doll catalog we got the other day are all blonde-haired and blue-eyed--the complete opposite of herself. I see trouble in the future.
Two brief comments right now and then I'll post more later. I would go back to the Lane Bryant store, ask to speak to the manager, and inform of her what happened and how the store missed out on making some money that day. I would also tell her that this incident would be posted on a blog for people all over the country to see. I would also tell the manager that because of this incident, many potential customers of would not set foot in the store in the future. And being the consumate letter writer that I am, I would send a letter to the president of Lane Bryant about your experience (and copy the Better Business Bureau).
As far as the comment by the person in Sears, did you think that, perhaps, the person wasn't directing it at you at all - maybe making a comment about herself shopping in the wrong department (talking out loud to herself), or as we have in our emergency room, people who say in appropriate things to whoever is around them due to extenuating medical conditions (in particular, behavioral health patients) - just a thought.
Mom,
As much as I'd like to think that the Sears woman was clinically insane, I am pretty sure of what happened. And, she wasn't shopping. She was just walking through the store to the mall drinking a soda with what looked like her boyfriend. But, thanks for assuming something else had to be going on.
oh Denise you kill me! I loved the stories, but more importantly I love your message!!! Thanks for putting it out for all to see. And CONGRATS on the pregnancy! i couldn't be happier. Last time I saw you, you were prego with Luke! TIME FLIES! I must admit that I fall prey to all this body/image garbage hello--look where we met??!!! LOL I adore you! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
Thank you for this message... it is wonderful.
Though I have been known to not exactly LOVE some of the dove products, (deodorant incident), I do ABSOLUTELY love their commercials and their campaign for real beauty.
Having a teenage daughter myself, I struggle with helping her to see how beautiful she is... When she puts herself down I always tell her that she is my Bella (from Twilight)... she thinks she is plain and that no-one thinks she is beautiful, but in fact, everyone thinks she is just gorgeous!
With the girl in Sears it is interesting that you say in the comments that she was walking with what looked to be her boyfriend, because it sounds to me like she was trying to make her own candle burn brighter by attempting to dim another and you just happened to be the one there. A case of bad self-esteem on her part if you ask me... but if her boyfriend is smart he will find someone a little less idiotic...
More importantly, you ARE very beautiful... and I am sure Jimmy will agree with all of us on that. :)
Okay, what is the deal with that stranger who needed to say that to you? Honestly! She must be in a really bad place in her life to have to bring other people down to her level.
I had a piece of precancerous tissue removed from my face two years ago, and right after the surgery I had this nasty two-inch zig-zagging scar with stitches and black Sharpie marks across my temple. At a kids play area, another random mom came up to me and said, "What happened to your face?" in the rudest way possible. I was so astounded at how rude she was that I just told her the truth and fumed about it - but the interrogation didn't stop when I said skin cancer. She wanted to know if I needed chemo and on and on. Honestly, if someone has such a horribly obvious scar, do you think they really want to be reminded of whatever it was that caused it? Think, people! And keep your opinions of our face or bodies or whatever to yourself!
I've never felt better about the way I looked even though I'm heading toward mid-thirties with an extra 25 pounds. Great post, Denise, you're awesome.
Great post Denise. I have been thinking about this same issue for the longest time. In fact, I am going to post about it soon too because I have too much to write in a comment. Anyone who says anything like that to a perfect stranger is bound to feel ridiculous about it at some point in her life. As far as female body image issues go, the media and the "celebrity" culture play a shameless roll in making women feel like their value is directly related to their physical appearance. It makes me absolutely furious!! None of us should give them the power of controling how we feel about ourselves (easier said than done I realize).
I found your blog through "Single Dad Laughing" and I really found this post to be inspiring!
So I wanted to recommend another blog to you that I think every single beautiful woman out there should be reading and finding hope in!
http://willnotdiet.blogspot.com/
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and I hope that we can all inspire other women to feel as beautiful as they ARE.
Thank you,
Jade
Post a Comment