Sunday, November 2, 2008

Our Halloween Celebrations

Earlier in the month Luke and I were able to go with Jackson's school on a field trip to Upland Farm. It was a beautiful day. The leaves were so vibrant. (Of course the pictures don't reflect that.)



We had fun taking a hayride to the storybook forest.





Then, we saw an interesting animal show given by the farmer which, frankly, made me want to become a vegetarian. But, there was this daring little goat who spent his time walking on a very unstable walkway far over our heads.



My favorite part was the HUGE group of ducks and geese that wandered together throughout the farm. These are only about half of them.



I was in charge of a few of the kids which was nice to get to know some of Jackson's classmates. It was a beautiful, and tiring, day.



Our next celebration was on the 30th. I am the room mother for Jackson's class so I got to plan the class' Halloween party. (I forgot the camera for this one.) The kids really liked playing Musical Pumpkins and making popcorn witch hands and cookie spiders. Luke was a bit of a challenge at first as he wanted me to hold him the whole time, but once I handed him a lollipop (and he figured out what it was) he just sat in one of the soft chairs...for about an hour and had at it. Note to self: buy more lollipops.

There was no school on Friday, so we went to Blake's Apple Orchard with a family that we met at the library. I love that we live within 15 minutes of several orchards. This one had all kinds of things for the kids to do. (I also picked up a jar of the best preserves I have ever had.)



By the time we got home, there were trick-or-treaters all over the place. Jackson ran inside to get Daddy and we were off. (Jackson has been reminding me constantly over the last few weeks about last Halloween. We went to our friends, the Jackson's, house for dinner and then trick-or-treated with them and some other friends, the Wheelers. It was such a fun night. Anyway, he reminded me of that so many times, and rightfully so as it was so much fun. So, he had big expectations. Well, this year, it was just the four of us and after about 5 houses, Jackson said that it was boring and wanted to go home. We dragged him to another few homes, but he still wanted to wrap it up. It made me miss home.





Saturday, was a beautiful day. We took advantage by raking the leaves. You've got to love when the cool fall air gets warm enough to be outside and enjoy. I'm soaking up every second of it. The forty degree weather will be back this week, I'm sure :(



12 comments:

mmmandy! said...

Umm... is that a goat in a Pack n Play??!!

Jana said...

I love that you considered being a vegetarian--even if for only a split second. I have a most unfortunate hot dog story to tell you some time--Ella got the wrong hot dog at summer camp. And when she tells the story she is always sure to add, "And I really liked it!" We'll see how much longer I can keep my girls meatless.

Even if they boys didn't last long trick-or-treating, they at least looked great. Was Luke a mouse? So cute.

Anonymous said...

They are the cutest little guys ever! Trick or treating is so fun! They start the night out with lots of running, then they are so worn out they beg to go home. Their mind is willing to get more candy, but their bodies are so poooped, they struggle with the "one more house" idea. Fun!
Love
me

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

What a fun filled day you all had. I imagine you were worn out as well. What a good mom you are. The photo's are wonderful. Hope all is well with your sisters. Am surprised Steph hasn't updated her blog with news of her wedding. I imagine she is very busy and Kim must be also. Sure miss reading their blogs. I haven't updated as not much new. Keep your blogs coming. Love reading them. Love to all of you. Aunt Sue

Denise said...

Mandy,
The goat is at the top of the picture. There is a baby pick in the pack n play.

Jana,
Jimmy and I recently did a week of vegetarian eating. We aren't going to stick to it, however it gave me lots of ideas for making meatless dishes. So now, we don't feel the need to have meat at every meal. Luke was a monkey.

Anonymous said...

What a great post. The pictures are so clear. Fall is beautifull in Michigan. Hmmm but nice in MD. too. Did you make the monkey costume it is very impressive tail and all. Maybe you can come here next year for Halloween and Jackson can have a better time.

Virginia said...

Those pictures are great. Looks like you had a nice Halloween. What the heck was in that Pack n'play at the farm? A baby goat?

Anonymous said...

Well I blew that picture of the pack and play up and it looks like a baby pig? Weird but then it was halloween. Still strange but the ears on that pig look a little like bunny ears?? Denise do you remember? But my guess is a pig I really blew the picture up. Strange place to keep a pig or bunny.

Denise said...

TO ALL:

It is a pig in the pack n play. They keep the baby pigs in there because the farmer lets them sleep in his house at night. They are separated from their mothers and the piglets need to be fed every 4 hours. The farmer doesn't want to go out to the yard in the middle of the night, so they sleep in his home.

Karen said...

Great pictures Denise!

Kim said...

adorable!

holly b said...

great pictures! love the leaf/costume pics.