Monday, January 26, 2009

Christmastime, Part One

I am FINALLY writing about our Christmas vacation. There are some things that I don't want to forget about so I thought I'd go back even though Christmas was a month ago.

As December began I spent a lot of time working on a gift that I wanted to give to my parents for their 35th anniversary back in June. I never got it done in the summer, so I figured that it would still count since they were technically within the 35th year of their marriage. Although frustrating at times, I put together a photo book of their marriage. This entailed scanning MANY pictures into my very old computer, uploading them to the website, and then putting the book together. I thought it turned out nicely and I really think that they appreciated it. I have to say that it was fun to see the old pictures and reminisce. Plus, I have all of the pictures in digital form now which will, hopefully, preserve them and make it easier to use for other things. If you are interested, you can click here to see the finished product: Peter and Helen

A big part of what I wanted to do this year was to teach Jackson a little bit about the Christmas spirit. So with the help of a program for underprivileged kids through Jimmy's work, we were able to participate in the Adopt-a-child program. I was unaware of the large cost, so we decided that we would donate, rather than send a gift, in the names of two of our relatives who we thought would appreciate the gesture. Jackson and I went shopping for a six year old boy named DeShawn who we had never met. Jackson was surprisingly good about picking out clothes and toys for this child despite wanting the items for himself. (There might have been about a thousand reminders on my part that he would get his time for gifts later, as well as putting everything that was life or death onto Jackson's very own wish list.) When we returned he said, "I think Heavenly Father is proud of me because I didn't cry." Anyway, a couple of weeks later Jackson went to Detroit with his father to attend a banquet where he would meet DeShawn and watch him open his gifts. (I opted out of the event, knowing that if I attended, pregnant thus emotional, I would surely cry the whole time or bring at least one child home to live with us.) I think Jackson had fun although it was one of those "forced" activities. It will hopefully rub off in years to come though.



And thus ends the first installment of the Wilkins Christmas 2008.

6 comments:

The Cockerills said...

Awww Denise that was the greatest present that we could have recieved. The book will be proudly on display in our livingroom. It is like our lives flashing before our eyes. All those memories. Also it was great of Jimmy to take Jackson to see those children. You are a great parent and daughter. Thank you agian. Dad

MaryBeth said...

Denise, what a great book! I never realized how much Kim looks like your mom! And I love your Christmas story. He may not have been that excited, but he'll remember and thank you some day :)

Corinne said...

AHHH, I can read so much better now :) Thanks, friend. I do love knowing what's happening in your world :)

hdknowles said...

Once again you outdid yourself with a Christmas present. Last year it was one about your family. This year - wow! what a great book filled with lots of memories. We've shown the book to a number of people and everyone comments on your unique gifts. We will treasure it always. Can't wait to see what next year brings. Love, Mom

couplabz said...

The book is fabulous, it must have taken A LOT of work. What a great experience you gave to Jackson teaching him about giving to others.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise! The book is absolutely wonderful. One could only dream of such a treasure to have. What a wonderful tribute to your parents. You are such a wonderful daughter and it shows how wonderful your parents are just by your actions. Jackson will always remember how his gifts of kindness will touch the little boys life. Luv and hugs, Aunt Sue