Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I'm actually pretty surprised with myself but I am so excited about the events of today. I can't remember ever really caring about an incoming President's Inauguration, although I might have gone to one in high school. However, that was probably just to get out of school or go on a fun trip downtown with my friends. Maybe that was when the Redskins won the Superbowl? See how little I cared? Today, though, I am really regretting not living right by the action. If I didn't have kids I probably would've gotten in my car last night and driven down to be a part of such a historical event. I certainly have a better and more comfortable view from my television...that's what I'm telling myself, at least. The kids and I are even dressed in our patriotic gear.

Even though I am so removed from the fun and I don't know one other person around me who is as excited (yes, including my husband). I could barely sleep last night. I saw a couple of men on tv tonight who were boarding a bus to Washington. One was 77 and said that he "marched with Martin Luther King, Jr and will now ride with Barack Obama." The other man was 89 and taking his great grandson to show him that he will have the opportunity to do anything in his lifetime. Can you imagine what kind of a world this 89 year old grew up in? Did you know that the place that Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America, the Capitol steps, were built by slaves? How incredible is this moment!

Today, I feel like I'm just about to burst. I like Barack a lot but, for me, it really isn't about him. It is about what he stands for. It is about the many people in our country that voted for a person different from the norm. It is about all of the people who are thrilled to see our country go through such a change. It is about people wanting to follow a good and decent leader, whom I believe will do his best to do the right thing and follow God.

And I am so happy that I will be able to show Jackson the new President being sworn into office. (Even if it makes him late for school!) To show him something that, hopefully, won't seem like such a big deal when he is an adult because things will continue to change that much will be wonderful.

I'm feeling such a spirit of unity and joy...a desire to do something to make the world better. And I know it's not just me, so many others are feeling inspired as well. I'm pretty sure that the high won't last, but I'm hoping that we can be a little kinder to our neighbors and try to make the world better in our own little way and not just for today. If we all do something, no matter how small, imagine how much better the world will become. I hope to never forget the emotion and inspiration of this day, knowing that it really is possible for anyone and everyone to do whatever good they want to in the world.

7 comments:

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise, I feel exactly the same. I have been watching all day. Even at work on the computer. How can one not feel like things are changing? "one small act of kindness can make a world of diffence", that's my motto. No matter how small, kindness to one person can change that person's day if not impact their life. If we all try, we can make a difference. Luv and hugs! Aunt Sue

Karen said...

Well written Denise! I was at work today, but have it all recorded to start after the kids go to bed. I am excited to watch it and very excited to have a new President!

Anonymous said...

It is truely a historic day. We have a new president. Who seems smart and in touch with the countries problems. Now the hard work starts and I hope that he can follow through and succeed with his vision. But the market seems to be dropping daily as housing priced crumble. I hope and pray he can pull this economy up or we could go into a very deep recession. Much work needs to be done and I wish him well.... Nice post Denise this is truely a historic day. Love Dad

Pam said...

Amen to that!

Natalie said...

I echo your feelings. It was such an amazing day. I just so wish I could have been there to see it in person. I love checking your blog. You have a way of expressing yourself that is really neat. Hope you guys are staying warm!

emilee jane said...

I feel exactly the same and am surprised that there aren't more people around me that feel the same way(of course Jason is just as excited). So amen to all of that. And if you knew what people went through to get there I don't know if you would've gone it was beyond crazy. Metro was backed up for blocks at 4 am. My brother in law went and stayed up all night, got in the security line at 4 and waited 8 hours in like 10 degree weather(he was in the very front though right behind the chairs). He said it was brutal.

Lissa said...

Great post...I was at the school and watched the morning stuff with the Kindegartners, many wrote about it in their daily journals..I listened on the radio as I drove around doing errands and raced to get home by noon so i could watch it him take the oath live...what a great moment, he has brought distinction and respect back into the office...I loved his speech, I love what he is doing for our country right now...we are in unchartered territory right now and who better to steer us in the right direction than someone who will approach everything with new perspective...I am a republican to the core, but occassionally I know there comes a time when alternantive thinking has to be used..and he is the man to do the job..think FDR, and JFK...thanks for the great post...