Wednesday, January 28, 2009

To My Maryland Friends on their Second "Snow Day"...

THIS IS SNOW:



This picture was taken today ON OUR WAY to school. No, it never melts. Yes, that is the street behind the mailboxes that won't be plowed for several days. Yes, the kids go out for recess EVERY DAY in their snow pants. No, the school parking lot wasn't even plowed.

(I was thinking that you guys were kind of being babies about this whole snow thing until I slipped all over the road on the way to and from school. I've never been more glad that my child doesn't ride the bus. I guess the Marylander is still in me after all.)

11 comments:

John and Margaret said...

Amen Girl! This is what I keep telling people. Michigan snow is what I grew up with, and I laugh at all the things that shut down around here for a mere 3 inches...

partypooperspoyfair said...

We are just as bad here in Texas. We had an ice storm last night and didn't have school today!

hdknowles said...

After taking 1/2 hour to get the ice of my windshield this a.m., then carefully having to traverse the frozen parking lots at the doctor's office and work, and noticing the increase in patients at the emergency room today who have slipped and injured themselves today on this very small snowfall, I would take 2 feet of snow any day. The school buses and Metro buses couldn't get up or down on Jefferson Street yesterday. They were right to close the schools today - just talk to all those people who are now going to have to have their cars fixed due to all the accidents in the DC area over the last 24 hours. At least it's raining now, but unfortunately that will freeze tonight when it drops into the 20's.

Lissa said...

Yesterday was a bit wimpy, but today it was pure sleet on top of icy snow...conditions were rough today! Dale even had a nice spill!

Anonymous said...

Come on we had a little ice and snow. Big deal I can tell you growing up in Boston and going to Syracuse University in upperstate NY in the snow belt that what we just had would have been no big deal in either place. Sure we had to scrape some ice off and drive with extra care but we could still get around. As long as you got out of the side streets everything was pretty clear. I am sure Detriot rates up there with New England with all the moisture off the great lakes. Denise please be very carefull.

couplabz said...

Makes me miss Iowa snow. It was like that. I never thought I'd miss it as much as I do. Winter isn't the same without snow, you know, opening your door to see an accumulation of snow blown up like a mini wall. I wish my kids had snow to play in like we had in Iowa, it was awesome. Keep the snow pics coming, I'll get my fix through them.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Wow Denise wish we had gotten snow! We got ice. One of the ladies at our church went out to get her newspaper and fell. She ended up at the hospital with a broken leg in four places and had to have surgery to have plates put in. I felt so badly for her. She is in her 70's. The snow looks so nice. Ice is so nasty. We ended up with two days off here. Today I get to go to work. I am so glad to get out at last! Enjoy the white stuff, but be carful driving in it! Love and hugs, Aunt Sue

Higleys said...

My son took off all the blankets on his bed and said look Florida snow. The he proceeded to plan in the "snow". Does that count;) Some times I miss it others I don't stay safe and have fun.

Susan said...

I sure don't miss the snow -- I especially don't miss the ice. We just get rain, fog and generally damp, ugly weather. Though, I would take a cold sunny day over multiple days/weeks of rain.

Malin said...

Haha, I don't understand what the fuss is about either, except neither cars nor drivers seem to be equipped for the weather here. Today was a delay and I must admit it could be slippery at times, but I'm still hopng for more snow so we can go tubing. (PS. I had never heard of snow days for school before moving here-evidently no such thing in Sweden...)

*~Petra~* said...

We have not had one snow day in the two winters we have been here... they just clear the snow too dang fast! :(