Sunday, February 28, 2010

February Happiness Goal: Fitness

Yes, it is the last day of February. I have, obviously, not been doing much with this goal. However, I am not going to give up just because I'm getting a late start. Focusing on this will bring so much happiness to my life. I know that I will have more energy, be healthier and, hopefully, shrink what I can only describe as my middle of mush.

The last time I exercised consistently was during the first part of my pregnancy with Grant and that was a long time ago. I have lost all of the pregnancy weight but things are distributed quite differently and I need to figure out where my muscles used to be. I am lucky enough to have sweet people tell me all the time how great I look. However, it really makes me wonder because most of those people have only known me since I became pregnant with Grant. In my mind what they are really saying is something like, "You were such a cow when you were pregnant that I had no idea you weren't an enormous moose all of the time." Anyway, I want to get into shape and fit into all of my clothes (plus a bunch of new ones that I plan to buy).

And, so, these are my fitness goals:

1. By the end of March, I will have my sweet little baby giving his sweet little mommy at least seven straight hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I have been working on this already. With a combination of switching his constipation medicine and letting him cry for some VERY long hours during the wee hours of the morning. I am only feeding him at 11 pm and 6 am. He still wakes once or twice looking for his pacifier. (This is the next thing to work on.) How does this have anything to do with exercise? I have been SO exhausted all the time that I have to nap during his naps to get rid of my headaches and be able to think coherently. I need to get better sleep so that I can exercise instead of nap.

2. I will begin to exercise at least 3 days a week for at least 30 minutes.

This may not seem like much of a commitment but it will be tough for me.
I started out with great intentions to begin exercising this month. I purposely made February my fitness month because I knew that I had to figure some things out before I jumped in. So, in January, I looked into gym memberships and decided to get Wii Fit for my birthday. This was no small task. It was impossible to find one for the last three weeks of January. Finally, I picked one up the first week of this month when I saw it at K-Mart. The gal told me that they hadn't had any in for weeks and that she just put that one out on the shelf twenty minutes before I came in. I have even used the program once. I will give it another chance even though it told me that I have the balance of a 43 year old woman. I wasn't happy with that so I did the test again five minutes later. Good thing because not only was my balance wrong the first time, but it told me that I am, apparently, as agile as a 67 year old. Boy do I have work to do.

3. Eat 5 servings of fruit and/or veggies daily, limit soda to one can a day, watch my portions.

I'll be honest, my meals yesterday consisted of cupcakes and soda...all of them...really...and maybe some snacks of cupcakes too. I'm lucky because this diet I have been on to help me continue nursing Grant (no dairy, soy or corn products) really allows me to, well, eat like a pig and not gain weight. As I have found products at specialty stores and found recipes that I can alter I have found myself leaving the fruits and veggies behind for tastier fare. I have a super sweet friend who has made it her quest to find food for me to eat. She has had me over for lunch and brought me the most yummy cake. Her recipe is what I have been scarfing down this weekend. Seriously, I eat WAY too much. I will NOT be happy when I start eating like regular people again AND stop nursing, using all those extra calories. I must get some control over things now.

And there you have it, I will report back.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it girl. You are doing an amazing job. It is great for you to get exercise. Though I think you get more exercise than you think. Lugging Grant around chasing after Luke. Running from one appointment to another and to school etc. But it will be great when grant sleeps through more. You sure deserve a break. Love you, Dad

Kim said...

Hey my fitness goal for March is fitness as well and working out 3 times a week is one as well as 5 a day and portion control. I am trying to eat on small plates like your family does as well.

Pam said...

If you want a partner in crime I will be your work out buddy. It would help me out too!

Higleys said...

Keep going.

*~Petra~* said...

I love the three times a week thing. I always give up if I haven't done it every day... that sounds much better and do-able. I am gonna try it... maybe I'll add more days as I get more fit and hopefully start to enjoy it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marcia said...

Let me know how that wii fit thing goes. I've been thinking about getting one. Is it an aerobic workout? Or balance/ strength stuff?

brooke said...

You're awesome and I can totally relate to people making a big deal about being skinny and actually hating it because you know they are just comparing you to a much fatter beefier version of yourself that they had come to know during the pregnancy.

Report back to us and let us know how it is going. At least you already look great--as for the mushy center--I think there is only one answer and it involves lots of casash and some time under the knife. Maybe we can get a two-fer.

Jen said...

Great goals to set! I enjoy fitness, too, and have been pretty good since VIolet's been born about going regularly to the gym. However, I have 3 babies worth of junk to get rid of...ugh! Good luck with all your goals.

CR said...

Have I mentioned that you are amazing? I have read a lot about how lack of sleep can cause significant weight gain. Lately I have been thinking that maybe I should just consider myself "fat and happy." ;)
But you look HOT, you go girl!