Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day

A few days before the big day, I asked Jackson if he was excited for Valentine's Day. His answer was, "No. Valentine's Day is for girls. All boys hate it." Well, I decided right then and there that (for the benefit of my future daughters-in-law) my boys are going to LOVE the big day.

I decided that we would make homemade valentine's. I found some cute ideas in Family Fun Magazine. The boys and I had a lot of fun working on them. This was the first time that Jackson was more of a help with a project like this than a hindrance. He did almost everything himself. He said it was a lot of fun. (And, his robots were a hit at the class party.) Luke loved his elephants too.



We made lots of extras for grandparents, etc. However, some people (who shall remain nameless) got into them and had themselves a sugary good time. Jimmy and I went out on Saturday night and saw a movie. We then had a fun shopping spree at Best Buy with some gift cards that we recently found!

On the big day, we exchanged gifts. Jimmy actually outdid himself with flowers, a gift and a card. He was sure to write the sappiest things in it that he has ever seen on any movie or tv show. (He's got to get his material from somewhere since he is a classic non-romantic man.) I showered my Valentine with candy and a message in a bottle. I also placed his wedding ring in the bottle. (He thought that he lost it at my parents house when we were in Maryland for Christmas but they found it and mailed it to me weeks ago.) He was pretty surprised. Grant enjoyed his first valentine and the boys got to open all of their valentines from school and each got a Snuggie. (I think they are so ugly and would never have one, but I find them so adorable for kids.) They seemed to think that they looked like Jedi robes.

Jackson spent a good deal of time teaching Luke how to ruin a picture.





And they found these teeth somewhere and had a blast dripping drool all over my floor.




I think it was a good start to a lifetime of brainwashing them to enjoy all things holiday. (We may have to step up the gifts next year, the 6 year old wasn't too keen on the Snuggie.)

8 comments:

Higleys said...

Way to go Denise. Looks like fun

Jen said...

Those are such cute Valentines. And how cool that could find something boyish enough for Jackson to like. I decided to make the girls' Valentines with them this year. Big mistake! We had 50 to make, and Mimi lost interest after doing 2. It took us 3 nights to finish them, and they were coming apart by the next morning because I was cheap and bought the generic double-sided tape. Oh, well! It was the thought that counted.

You and Jimmy are so sweet to each other. Glad you two enjoyed it together. Mike was out of town. Plus, we really don't do anything for each other anyway. We're both scrooges for most holidays.

Pam said...

Jimmy and Jared are on the same list of all things non-romantical

He makes up in other areas though.

The interesting thing about having children close together is they tend to conspire together more often.

CUte Valentines

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed seeing your valentines day was so good you are a great mother.

Anonymous said...

oh ya way to go Jimmy

brooke said...

This post is hilarious and I can relate to so much of it. I love Jackson's robot valentines and I'm impressed with the stuff you and J did for each other. I'm ashamed to say that this year, Sam and I took a break from the cards and gifts and did nothing for each other (we are counting the home improvements as our Valentines.)

My kids would love Snuggies too and are always asking for them. And my kids always always ruin pictures.

Karen said...

How cute! I love the valentines.

CR said...

You guys are way too fun!