Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happiness Project: January Goal Recap

In continuing with my Happiness Project, I thought I would sum up my January focus: music. I tried my best to listen to more music and I did. Most of the time I had to consciously force myself to switch from my beloved NPR to music. However, by the end of the month, music was my first choice.

Some things that stood out for me are how quickly music can bring one back to any given moment of the past. I LOVE turning up the tunes and dancing with my kids. This is usually done at the end of the day, when everyone is clamoring for attention and cranky. Turning on the music transforms this chaotic time of the night into a fun way to let out our stress. There is less "mean mommy" and more "fun mommy" and, unfortunately, "fun mommy" doesn't get to come out too often these days. "This is why I have added my play list back onto my blog. It is usually what we dance to. I originally took it off because I don't like it when other people have music on their blogs. I don't read well with music. However, I find that having it there makes me listen to it with more frequency, even if I turn it off 90% of the time.) Luke has been enjoying listening to children singing. So, we have been playing the Primary CD in the car a bit. Every so often a song came on that I knew and listening to it again helped me to feel closer to God. My favorite was "I Feel my Savior's Love". At times when I was incredibly tired (all of the time) turning on a fun fast paced song gave me a little more energy. And, how can I leave out, hearing Will Smith's "Summertime" in the middle of January while it was snowing. For a moment I was back in college working at the pool (in August) all warm and tan. (Well, TRYING to be tan.) I also have realized that I have to be in the mood for music. I do not want to hear blaring music as the day begins and I am still in grump mode. And, I have learned that I enjoy music much more when it is music that I choose. I have never had an MP3 player, but I think I now understand the hype. My experiment this month with music has taught me a bit about my likes AND my dislikes. I will try to make sure that I continue to listen to music every day. I will be getting my children's CD's and Soundtracks out soon and that will be fun. The greatest thing that came from this, I think, is that my kids are enjoying listening too. Twice yesterday I heard Luke say, "Great song, Mommy."

6 comments:

*~Petra~* said...

That is so awesome. What a great post, and good lessons learned! What is your focus for February? I chose LOVE since it was the month of Valentines. Look forward to reading about it! :)

hdknowles said...

Sadly, it doesn't appear you tried to listen to classical music, the stress reliever of all time. I'm studying Mozart on my way to work from The Teaching Company, and voila, I'm at work in the blink of an eye. It soothes the soul, my darling daughter.

Pam said...

I love this idea. I will do this more when it is full moon week for me :)

Higleys said...

We do music as part of our night time routine too. It is usually the back ground music for Big Brother take down but it is fun.

Denise said...

Mom, you should've given me the classical idea when I first posted my goal. However, I think that if I listened to classical at this stage I would immediately fall asleep and I don't need any more help doing that. (We do listen to it when we watch Baby or Little Einsteins, though.)

holly b said...

this is a great goal. I really need to play more music. right now my ipod speaker dock is a white noise machine in the bedroom for the baby: "Clothes Dryer Hum" around the clock!

I still remember one morning shortly after moving here when I was still a little sad and overwhelmed with three young kids in a new town, etc. I needed to change something. I put on Elizabeth Mitchell's "You Are My Little Bird" album and one of the songs on it (Three Little Birds) was totally what I needed to hear. I was practically crying as I made pancakes and smiled at my sweet kids and wondered how I could be sad about anything.

Anyway, I'm going to challenge myself now. Thanks for the inspiration!