Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jackson at seven

Dear Jackson,

Happy seventh birthday! It is astonishing how quickly the time has gone since you made me a parent seven years ago. So much time has passed and, believe it or not, YOU have helped ME to grow up so much in that time. I'm so grateful for the way you have changed my life.

At seven you are an energetic ball of fire. There is rarely a time when you don't have the energy to do everything you want to do. You are a kind and popular student in the first grade. Most of the kids want to be near you and you are a leader. However, you are very concerned about what the other kids will think of you. Despite this, you have made some courageous choices lately. You enjoy it when I come to help in your classroom but are already beginning to feel uncomfortable with Mommy around your friends. You have mentioned that "you are not a kid anymore" several times. You won't allow hand holding or public hugs and you didn't want me to come to school and eat lunch with you because it would be "embarrassing". (Of course, when it was too late for me to come you changed your mind and were sad.) You are learning to read and enjoy writing in your journal about the "hilarious and romantic" antics that go on in your classroom. (You are never a part of these antics.) Many days you have butterflies in your stomach because you are afraid that you will get into trouble at school, something that rarely happens.

At home you love to "kick back and relax". You would spend all day watching Disney XD shows if you had your way. You favorites are The Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place and Hannah Montana (but we will NOT let any boys know that you watch that last one.) You are obsessed with Star Wars Lego sets, Captain Underpants and Magic Tree House books. You love to save up for special things that you want to buy. You like to play Wii and draw. You refuse to smile with your teeth showing for pictures. (Maybe this is because you are missing your middle two teeth.)

You can play by yourself quite well by using your imagination with a toy, in the snow or at the pond in the backyard. You and Luke are the best of friends (about half of the time). Luke follows you around everywhere you go. He does and says everything that you do. He idolizes you. You have taught him to pray. You do have a special ability to pick at him constantly, though. This causes him to be impatient with you. You are a great brother to Grant. You will "babysit" while I am in the shower and love to carry him around the house. You watch out for him and make sure that he isn't sad or choking. Sometimes you have a hard time listening or calming yourself down which can get you into trouble. When you are excited the volume of your voice increases...dramatically. You are the pickiest eater I have ever met. You are proficient at using sarcasm and are pretty funny. You miss living closer to your friends and family in Maryland but have made some great friends in Michigan. You love God and talk to your friends about Him.

I'm so proud of you and the progress that you are making in school and as a sweet growing boy. I love that you still enjoy cuddling to read a story and that you are so willing to help around the house. You make my life sweeter.

With the most love,

Mommy














Jackson choose to have his birthday party at Pump It Up. It was lots of fun. The kids were so busy that Jackson was surprised when he saw this picture. He didn't even know I was taking pictures. There were two hours of climbing and jumping fun.



After that we went into the party room where Jackson got to sit in a giant throne and be treated like a king. I loved that I really didn't have to do anything for the party. The worker even wrote down who gave him each gift. (If it weren't for climbing, jumping and protecting Luke from excited 6 and 7 year olds, I could have slept in the corner. I'm glad I didn't, though, because we had a blast.)



I LOVED that the boys were so excited for Jackson when he was opening his gifts. This was such a great change from the days of tantrums and crying when the kids didn't understand why only one person was getting all of the gifts.



I decided to make a cake for the big event. I had a lot of fun and am always amazed at how easy it is to make these cakes. I think it turned out pretty well, except that the spider looks like a mouse to me. (Yeah, I rock.)



I snapped this during the festivities.

12 comments:

Pam said...

You are an amazing Mom!

Cindy said...

He can't be 7 already! What a cute guy. We were telling stories about him at the book discussion at your mother's house this evening. I agree with Pam--You are an amazing MOM!!

hdknowles said...

You, my first born, are a wonderful mother and I am so proud of you and what you have done with your family. You are training your boys in all the right ways, and you know them all so well. Was it just seven years ago that we were driving in another blizzard to Bethesda Naval Hospital to wait for Jackson to make his appearance on this earth? Time moves so quickly. Well done, Denise - I love this post.

drmudgett said...

Happy birthday Jackson!

Higleys said...

Great way to Journal for him.I love the pics

hdknowles said...

By the way, I love the cake - nice job. And glad to see Kim is alive and well since I can't seem to reach her lately.

Anonymous said...

Denise you are an amazing daughter and mother. This is a fantastic blog always original and a great journal that will be sooo valuable to your family in future years. The pictures are great. Jackson you are getting sooo old it is hard to believe -seven- You are a wonderfull grandson, brother and son. You take such good care of your brothers-of course that is to be expected you are the BIG brother. Glad you had a great bithday party. Wish I could have been there. HAPPY BIRTHDAY---Your the man---

Karen said...

I can't believe he is already 7! I also can't believe you made that cake! It looks great :)

brooke said...

Happy Birthday to an amazing kid! My Luke and jackson would have so much fun together.

That cake is unbelievable. Have you seen my cakes....yeah.

Lissa said...

What a cutie he is! His expressions are priceless...I LOVE pump it up! I am sure all your boys slept well that night...he is such a little man!

The Cockerills said...

Wow time flies! Denise Jackson will love this and Cliff and I are sitting here in awe over the cake. That is amazing. Anyway, I am proud of you for raising such a great child/children. I know it has not been easy but you have and are doing great.

CR said...

I love Jackson! It is crazy that he is 7 already. It seems like I was just visiting for his baby blessing.
I will never forget what a perfect baby he was. Now he is a perfect big brother, right?