Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

It is 7 am and I just got home from my voting site. No, I didn't vote, because the line was so dramatically long. I was hoping to go baby free, but I suppose I will have to wait until later as there was no way I would have been out of there before Jimmy has to leave for work.

I am intentionally posting this before any election results are announced. Who "wins" isn't going to change what I have learned during this election.

(And, let me preface this by saying that I personally cannot stand to see little children influenced by their parents when it comes to politics or the like. I used to have a man come into the Sunday school class that I taught and put political pins on all of the 4 year olds. When he left, I would promptly remove them. If a child really understands and wants to take a stand, fine, but I don't believe in forcing them or in the parent talking up their own viewpoints so much so that the child is a walking imitation of them. And, this is why I have tried to avoid this, myself.)

We have all heard that a person needs a positive role model. I haven't really felt that way in my own life, other than family role models. I honestly don't think that any celebrity, politician, or likewise is any better than any of us who don't have as prestigious careers. So, until last week, I didn't realize the impact that a person, with whom you identify with, can have.

Many of you know that Jackson has struggled with the concept of "bad" people. We once saw a man whom I suspected of stealing a purse. Now, to Jackson, every person that he sees who looks anything like this man is a terrifying "bad guy". The fact that this guy happened to be African American didn't help. (Last week, Jackson was in the car with Jimmy and my father when they were hit by someone who didn't even stop. Jimmy ran up to the car at a light. When Jimmy returned, Jackson's first question was, "Was that bad guy brown?" (Luckily, he wasn't.)) So you can see the impact that this one purse snatching kid who, apparently, had long hair, wore his hat backwards, and had on a skeleton shirt has had on my son some two years later. (The police really should employ Jackson to witness crimes as he seems to remember details quite well.)

Fast forward a few days to the night when Barrack Obama put his infamous infomercial on all of the major networks. Jackson snuck out of bed and we decided not to make a big deal of it, but quiet was the rule. A little into the show, Jackson said, "This is a pretty good show, I thought it would be boring." (OK, impressive that the five year old thinks that Obama's plan for the nation is interesting enough to watch.) As he watched there were pictures of Obama and his white mother, Obama and his black father, etc. A little while later he said, "He has the same skin as me." Then something began to happen. By the end of the show, he was completely relating to this man who just might become the president. "Did he ever get embarrassed when he was little?" "Did a bully ever pick on him?" "Did he ever get scared?"

As I thought about what I had just witnessed, I realized that maybe the reason that I haven't believed the hype about having good role models out there is because I have role models that look like me all around. (And I have to say that with Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin in the limelight lately, it does in some way make me feel like I can do more.)

So here is to all of the good people in the world, especially Barrack Obama, who has made my little guy see that there are good people doing wonderful things for the world that look "just like" him. And, should he become our next President, I know that I will be praying for him to be able to withstand the negatives of which so many of our former Presidents have succumbed. He will have generations of an entire race, as well as lots of others, counting on him to be a positive role model. I hope he can stand up to the pressure.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful post. I enjoyed reading that. Yes, I agree-keep kids out of politics. It's pretty funny. Mine liked different ones. It was really cute to hear their reasons. (Until someone stole our sign and then one changed their mind.) I sure hope and pray that our leaders will do what is best for our country and the people who live here, lots are depending on them. And their examples do matter, I'm hoping everyone will see thier positive examples, b/c they've had them-esp. during this election season. I have truly been impressed. I think a lot of good has been done and hope more is to come.

Pam said...

I was there at 6:55 this morning, you should have jumped in line with Bro. Jackson and I. I was all the way out to Square Lake rd. and it only took me 35 minutes to get through the line. It went pretty quickly.

Cindy said...

My prayers will be with the leaders of our nation and I really hope that we can stop the horrible negativity and nastiness that has been around the past few years. Thank you for your thoughts.

hdknowles said...

Dad just left for the polls. I voted absentee ballot because of the surgery. Glad that Jackson has a public role model to look up to. Hopefully he will learn as he grows that the good "men" outweigh the "bad" men. Hopefully the public will learn a lot of lessons from this election process and use those lessons to change the process in the future. I hope the media doesn't call the election at 7:01 tonight, when the first polls close. UPDATE - Dad just called - he is already in the gym at the middle school - not very much of a wait.

Jen said...

Awww, that's sweet. The one thing I'm thankful for living in D.C. was the diversity and that my girls got to experience it daily. They both don't seem to see color as something by which to judge someone. There are good and bad people of all colors, sizes, and genders. I'm glad to hear Jackson is getting over his preconceptions.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

You comments were great and I agree! Glad that Jackson is seeing good in people, children are so precious and innocent. I agree about politics. Children should not be influenced by the adults. You are a wonderful mother! Luv and hugs, Aunt Sue Roger and I voted at 6:30AM and we were amazed at how long the lines were here in nowhere land! Never have we had to wait...It was wonderful to see people actually coming out to vote! Wouldn't it be great if people were always that moved?

Natalie said...

What a moving post Denise! It's amazing what influences kids and the things they remember. I love your blog. Your family is beautiful!

Malin said...

Hope you are able to vote. This was my first Presidential election since becoming a citizen. Although I have some issues with the voting system as a whole in America (remember I'm from Sweden where 90% consistently vote and we have a parliamentary system)I am excited that so many people are voting. Miss Terri is voting in her very first election today, she had never been registered to vote before...
Since Paul in an election judge and it's Mattias' birthday, it's a weird sort of day today without him at home to celebrate, so I made no more than 3 trips to the polling station too see him!

Michelle said...

Well put, Denise. It's refreshing sometimes to look at things from a child's perspective, isn't it?
I hope you didn't have to wait too long when you went back. I was surprised for our vote--not a long wait at lunch time. Evi stayed in the stroller and watched all the other people in the room and was pretty good.

Lissa said...

I got a text from a friend of mine this morning that reiterates what you have said...and I couldn't agree more...all politics aside, the greatest thing Barack Obama has done for our country has been taking us one step closer to where we need to be, united. I did vote for mccain, and yes, personally, barack obama politics are not mine, but as a country I believe we have won.

Kim said...

That's great Denise! I was really hoping that Jackson would relate to Obama. Its great he has a role model just like him. He has been so preoccupied with not looking like other people, so glad that he has found someone that he can admire outside of the family! I am really hoping that Obama can stay positive and not get involved in any scandals. The country has a lot riding on it. If so, this is going to mean the world to Minority children (and adults) abd the country as a whole. Who knows maybe Jackson Kennedy will get the political bug and run for office one day, after all being born on presidents day, and being named after 2/3 (if you include his knick name) might be a sign!

Virginia said...

I loved this post, Denise. I also have been hoping that Obama's image remains positive and clean. All of us need that right now, including Jackson. I'm sure he was really moved by what he saw that night. I was also.

Donna said...

I loved your discourse, Denise. It made me cry. Like you, I never really thought about the role model thing because I've always had good ones who looked like me. Now I look at our wonderful "brown" kids in primary and see things differently. How absolutely happy I am for them to see the role model that President Elect Obama is for them. I'd love nothing more than for every single child to believe to their core that they have worth, can be anything, can change the world. Because the big secret is that they CAN. They just don't know it.

holly b said...

really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this. gave me some tingles. I'm hoping good things for our country. who isn't??