Friday, June 11, 2010

A lesson learned

(Disclaimer:  If you are a reader that hates to read blogs that give the image of a perfect world, you may want to skip this post.  I hope that my blog paints a very realistic look at my life, although I'm probably too negative at times.  Today, though,  I choose to look on the bright side.  I hope that you'll forgive me.)


I spent much of today babysitting.  For about nine hours, it was my two little ones (2 and 13 months), a four year old and another baby (12 months).  Jackson (7) was around for a bit in the morning and during the day for three hours another 3 year old joined us.  I thought I saw a glimmer of pity in Barrington's eyes as he left for work.


Honestly, I wasn't expecting to have the best day.  I had resigned myself to accomplish nothing other than keeping these kids safe and fed.  That was my plan.  And so we played.  We played Wii, we rode bikes, we went on a walk, we drew and we even made Play-Dough creations.  All were fed, the babies were put down for their naps and many diapers were changed.  If it weren't for my little Grant wanting to pull baby #2's hair and hit, there wouldn't have been any glitches.  (And, it wasn't hard for me to figure out that I should just keep the babies in separate rooms.)

Here I was with five children four years of age and under and I never even wanted to pull my hair out.   I didn't go crazy.   Yes, there was a lost pair of shoes which resulted in a child going home in shoes three sizes too big and my own child wearing shoes from two completely different pairs, but I found time to wash the dishes and clean up from breakfast..and lunch...and snacks.  I didn't have time to vacuum but I swept multiple times.  I didn't even think to eat breakfast or lunch but, frankly, I don't think I'll starve.   I wasn't blog hopping or chatting on the phone, but I did get to respond to some important e-mails.

(Check out those little hands and feet pushing the babies.)



I know the secret was in my plan.  (Plus, childcare experience and years and years of Heavenly directed patience training.)   I wish I could get over my Type A personality that makes me feel like I NEED to do a million different things on any given day.  What I really need is to be comfortable to just BE with my children.  Today taught me that I must do that far more often.  I will make an effort to have more days like this even when it is just me and my own little guys.  We will all have a lot more fun and I know my sweet guys will be thankful that their Mommy gave them her attention and took the time to play


Seriously, of course I survived.  Who wouldn't listening to these cute little voices and seeing these sweet faces?
 












11 comments:

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

You are a wonderful mom! I so enjoy your posts! And the photo of "those sweet faces" is just too funny!

Adi Castillo Misigoy said...

I LOVE this post - what a great lesson learned :)

Anonymous said...

you are great I would have been stressed amazing

Higleys said...

It is easier when you try to do their will instead of your own agenda. Sounds like a great day and who doesn't deserve a good day? Glad you had fun

Cindy said...

Great day! You are right, we should all take more time to enjoy the little things and play more often.

hdknowles said...

Great post - what a fun day you describe and I was wondering about it when I spoke with you earlier. Those babies will grow up quickly so enjoy them while you can.

Scott and Megan said...

kudos to you! I know I would have had a small breakdown repeatedly. One of the greatest things I have learned from you is to just be....that may sound crazy because you think you need to work on that, but you have been preaching about that ever since I met you like 15 years ago. You suggested once that you were reading the Power of Now and I got myself a copy and it was awesome. I too suffer from some over obsessive multi-tasking and that book helped. I admire you just so you know! LOTS and LOTS. and the next time you're in town I'll introduce you to the rich bride and groom....LOLOLOL

CR said...

You are amazing! I am shocked that anyone could not only survive that, but actually enjoy it. You are my hero! And if I had to watch that many kids for that long, i think i would consider finding myself a nice quiet, padded room. ;)

Marcia said...

oh yes, this is what I need to do , too. Why oh Why must those dishes be done right now, or the laundry, or the floors, or the vacuuming or the bathrooms, or... Ok, that's my problem. I really like MY stuff to get done. Meanwhile, the kids aren't kids forever...sniff...

The Molen's said...

My prayers were answered. I hoped the day would be at least....survivable. Thank you so much for helping me out. I love the pictures....especially of the 3 boys! Cute!

Deanna said...

So funny. You're brave. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come any time! A friend of Danae's is a friend of mine!
xoxoxo
http://deannalw.blogspot.com/