Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A-Z Baby!!!

I met my Robin while we were living in Utah.  Jimmy was attending law school and I was doing nothing I had high hopes that I would find a great job because our landlady just happened to do the hiring on campus.  I had finally graduated from college and just left a responsible career position in Maryland that I loved and now my landlady was bringing an old keyboard to practice my typing skills for any job opportunities that might come up.  (The keyboard wasn't even attached to anything.)  After she told me that she got a job for me taking tickets at a football game, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands.

I had become pretty sad with nothing to do and just moving across the country.  I found out that a job working with teenagers with disabilities for the school district was hiring.  Jimmy dropped me off for the interview and I made a quick stop in the bathroom to cry before the interview.  (That is how down I was.)  I pulled myself together and got the job.  And, there was Robin.  We were both the newbies and just clicked.  (It was a super fun job too.)  I eventually left the job for something better paying and, a year later, we both ended up working together for another company.  Those were such fun times... (Robin still loves me even though I missed my plane to her wedding...and I was supposed to be a bridesmaid!)

Now she lives in Idaho, really what was she thinking?  She has three boys, too.  And, she is pregnant with her last.  A girl...(We hope.)  We have traveled to meet each other in various places but have found it really hard to get together over the last few years with one of us always being pregnant or nursing or poor.  We finally decided that it had been long enough and that we were going to go somewhere.  So, we headed to Phoenix to see my sister, Stephanie, and explore the area.

There was a lot of preparation for my trip by the way of finding babysitting and writing out schedules for the kids I left behind.  (I took Grant with me.)  Some sweet friends did me great favors.  Then there was the packing and application of self tanner, so exhausting.   However, I am tremendously glad that we went.  It was so good to see where Stephanie is living and to spend some time with her.  I'm glad that she got to hang out with Grant too.  She showed us some really cool places.  We took a scenic highway up to a lake and stopped at an old Ghost town.

Being in Phoenix was like being in a different country.  The scenery is so much different than what I am used to.  It is gorgeous.   I loved the architecture too.  We ate at Cafe Rio and a taco shop.  I tried Sushi for the first time.  And we had fresh squeezed frozen lemonade.  Yum!
Steph was kind enough to babysit while Robin and I spent a few hours at a SPA! (I'm sure she would have liked to be relaxing with us, so she deserves many accolades.)   It was oh, so relaxing and glorious!  


We went to several pools.  The water was a little cold, so Grant didn't last too long. But it was nice to be out in the heat.


We even got to go and visit with my lifelong friend, Karen, and her kids.  It was wonderful to see where they live, but I wish we had stayed longer.  We went to the pool and then out for some more tacos.


Robin wanted to see a show when we were there.  (Once we met in Chicago and saw Wicked.)  She left it up to me, a huge mistake on her part.  I ordered the tickets for us to see GLEE, LIVE!!!  I don't think she was too happy until she started watching reruns in preparation for the event.  I have watched the show from the very first episode and LOVE it.  It is just so cheesy and uplifting.  I love the music, too.  Here we are, waiting for the show to start.



One thing that I was not expecting was how talented (or sweet) the performers were.  They are amazing singers, several of them played an instrument and they all danced like crazy.  They really seemed like they were not used too all of the cheering, which was adorable.  I found out later that it was their first live performance at this level.  It was fun for me to witness the actors having so much fun and seeming a little taken aback by all of the cheering. 

 








As you might be able to tell, I am a Gleek.  I'm not embarrassed about it either.  You may think I am a total dork but I do not care.






While we waited for the show, they flashed quotes from the tv show, left a few minutes for the audience to guess who said it and then told you the answer.  I thought that was fun.


I will not bore you non-gleekers with a million videos, you can go to You Tube for that.  But, I had to post few:
Robin and I enjoying the opening number.  (Stephanie was MORE than happy to skip the event and stay home while Grant slept.)


My Life Would Suck W/o You


This is for you, Dad.  I told you it really is her singing.




For my girl, Tammy.  Check out how adorable Finn is playing the drums.


Sorry to get so carried away with Glee.  (If you aren't sure about it, they are replaying the whole season this summer starting this week, I think.  Thursdays at 8 EST on Fox.  Give it a shot.  You might love it.)

I'm so glad that we took this trip.  It was super fun.  Stephanie is really lucky to live in Arizona.  Grant was as sweet as can be the whole trip.   I was shocked at how easy going and happy he was.  (I wish I could give him all of my attention every day.)  It is nice to know that even after years of being apart, Robin and I can get together, laugh and understand each other like it was just yesterday.











8 comments:

hdknowles said...

Great pictures, although I didn't watch the Glee videos. It was nice to hear about how you and Robin met. Glad you got to spend time with Stephanie and that Grant cooperated on the trip.

Scott and Megan said...

ok 1. I LOVE GLEE...oh my good gosh! I mean I knew we were similar...but hallo! i love that show and haven't missed one! I like to save them on my dvr and watch them repeatedly and sing along 2. I love Robin just because you do. It looks like you had a great time and I'm so glad. I have a friend in Vegas that sounds like Robin...the kind that never seem to be affected by time. 3. i feel like I could come to Michigan and have a blast with you! I adore you and feel like we have one of those relationship! mwah! big kisses...love you nise!

Unknown said...

Awww... very nice. Great pix of Glee- I didn't realize you got so many good ones. Miss you.

partypooperspoyfair said...

I'm so happy you wrote about Glee. I have been wanting to watch it but just never got around to it. I am going to go tivo it right now so that I can get the whole season. Thanks for the heads up!

Lissa said...

you are so DARN lucky!!!! I am coming out of the closet...I have watched several episodes since you sent that link to Glee's sweet caroline!! That is why us girls have to stick together...no husband would EVER sit through Glee LIVE for his lady...How fun that you got to see Karen! Hi Maya and Shayne! Good for you taking time for yourself...especially after that day with all those kids...I needed some time away after reading that post!

*~Petra~* said...

I have only watched Glee once (a couple of weeks ago), and I have to admit... It was different. However, I didn't NOT like it... It was interesting. And not in a bad way. I may just have to give it another go if they are going to re-run the season...

brooke said...

What a great trip and Grant is ADORABLE!

I am such a GLEEK! I love the show and only just found out about this GLEE live thing through your comment on my blog. I"m dying for it to come to Utah. I'm looking into it!

Your friend Robin sounds awesome. I love friends like that.

Anonymous said...

хорошо