Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why Mommies shouldn't sleep in...

I really wasn't asleep at the time of this infraction, but Barrington let me sleep in until he had to leave for work.  It's the first day of summer break, of course.  I was planning on "sleeping in" all summer long.  (Which by any human standards is not sleeping in at all, but it is sleeping a bit later than usual...)  Barrington woke me up as he left and within 30 minutes chaos ensued.

Oh, you haven't taken the time to zoom in on this picture yet?  Let me help you out.  You can clearly see that the kids are naked.  They stripped down to play in the kiddie pool outside (even though the water was probably 60 degrees).  I knew about that.  And, I don't care that they were naked.  No one can see them and there is less work for me.  (Go ahead, judge me.)  What you may not be able to see clearly is that Luke is holding a dead baby mouse!  He came inside, so thrilled with himself, screaming about how he had a cute little mousie.  For a minute I thought it was a cat toy that we have.  Then, Jackson's freaking out informed me that we had a situation on our hands.  Luke refused to bring the thing outside.  I followed him all through the house trying to calmly coax him outside with the creature and trying to make sure that he didn't touch anything.  Apparently, the mouse had already gone swimming in the pool.  He kept saying, "The mousie can't walk."  (Of course, I knew that already.)  I finally got him to put it in the bushes outside and then we started the defunkification process.  It's going to be a fun summer.

In other news, check out the new look that Grant is sporting:

Yeah, that's his very first shiner.  I'm eagerly awaiting my Parent of the Year award.  Let the nominations begin.



18 comments:

couplabz said...

No judging here, but LOTS of laughing! Sounds like my house, minus the dead mouse, dead frogs or lizards, sure.

Letting kids play 'Al Naturale' is just smart! You're right, less work afterwards. I openly encourage E to do the same!

Cindy said...

Look on the bright side. He didn't bring a live mouse into the house and let it go. And unlike Tammy's son, he wasn't eating a dead animal. Count your blessings, you got to sleep in a little and once his hands are washed, everything is just fine!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY. Denise this is a great entry. Send the picture in to Readers Digest a sure winner of a picture (do they still do that?). How did you think to take the picture I would have tried to get that thing out of his hands and let it take a swim in the porcelain pool.

dnA said...

I love the innocence of Luke not knowing the mouse is even dead.
You'll be a morning person from now on!

brooke said...

Thank you for the chuckle. I would NEVER judge you--my kids were naked for half the morning and I think I found urine on my new wood floors. Awesome.

I love the "defunkification" process.

hdknowles said...

Just got back from PT and I'm laughing outloud. What a special little grandson we have - so innocent. How can you get mad at him with that sweet look on his face. Thanks for the laugh.

Higleys said...

I have to go with EWWWWW GROSSSSSS. I don't think I could have stayed calm. Not looking forward to that day when something dead is brought to me as a pet. Good Job!

Scott and Megan said...

oh man is it ok that I just laugh and laugh over your awesome stories? Your three little men crack me up! AND what is it about the boys that like the dead mice, and the messes, and the all the boy stuff....??? LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

*~Petra~* said...

No judging for sure, but OH MY GOSH!!!! That is DISGUSTING!!! Pretty awesome that you were cool enough to even think about taking a pic first... I would have been screaming, my kids would have been crying... all in all, you handled it way well!

Alison said...

That is a great photo and a funny story!

Corinne said...

Seriously. How boring would your life be without those amazing kids? I love it :)

CR said...

Denise, you are SO awesome! I would have totally lost it. I think my favorite part is the angelic smiles that they have on their faces, they just look so dang proud! LOVE it!!!

brooke said...

Denise,

I think you are really funny. Why didn't we spend more time together when you guys lived in Utah??!

I feel for you with the crying thing. Luckily for me, Mitchell is not a crier (though I am--and it freaks Sam out just like it does Jimmy!)

I kind of don't think the baby has any milk alleriges at all which is why I have so little tolerance for this no milk thing. He was congested. She thought maybe spit-up was going into his nasal cavities and told me to go off milk. It has been a week and he is still congested. I think I'm going back on milk and see what happens--I just love it too much.

Sorry I left all this in a comment on your blog--I need your email!

Harrison's said...

Ok so I would FRIEK out about the mouse. I don't know how you remained so calm. Their faces in that picture are priceless. Happy summer sleeping in =).

Marcia said...

I love love love that picture! Look at that huge GRIN on their faces!

...So when crazy things happen around your house now, instead of getting mad do you just think, "Oh good! This will make a great blog article!!" ??? Because you should. Your pain is our chuckle ;) And doesn't that make life easier to deal with...

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Oh Denise, how funny! I too would have freaked out. MICE are my downfall. I just can't stand them. Their faces are priceless! I can just picture mom laughing. She had three little boys too, I know she had the same situations with Bob, Larry and Pete. She would be so tickled to hear these stories. I love you and these blogs!

Julia said...

Oh my gosh, that's SO gross, yet too hilarious at the same time, LOL!!! No judging from me. You sound like a GREAT mom, you just have boys. I grew up with 4 brothers, and I know what they're like. Being in the Girl's-Only Club as a Mommy, however, I haven't seen the joy of mothering boys yet, but maybe someday...Good luck with the rest of your summer.
P.S. I've learned that any time I take a moment for myself while the kiddos are awake, all "h,e,double-hockey stick" breaks loose."

Jen said...

Gotta love summer! I've learned my lesson, too, after sleeping in. Can't say any dead mice were involved though. Ish!