Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Place to Enjoy

This week, I FINALLY finished one of my major projects. (Other than unpacking, putting furniture together, painting, starting Kindergarten, and taking care of a VERY inventive almost-toddler.) In my "spare" time, I have undertaken my first real furniture refinishing project.

You see, in December our friends, the Jacksons, were making some space in their home for their newest addition. Luckily, we were able to inherit their old dining room table. The table has had at least three owners (including us) and has been moved several times as well as spent several months hanging out in my parents garage. As you can imagine, it was a bit worn. But, I figured I was going to try to revive it. Well, shortly after we got the table, we decided to move and blah, blah, blah here we are 10 months later.

You may think, "Didn't you move over three months ago?" Well, yes. Until this week we have been eating at the kitchen counter on bar stools that were left at the house by the previous occupants. (Thank goodness.) Now, I have always been a little envious of the nice counters that my friends have in their homes. It is a nice place to enjoy a snack. However, after 3 months, it gets VERY old.

So, after teaching myself how to strip, sand, condition, stain, and wax, here is the result:



Overall, I am pretty happy with it. It matches the cabinets quite well. There is a little too much redness for my taste. In all honesty, I was going for something closer to the color of the chair backs.



It isn't a tragedy that the chairs don't match. Mostly because THERE IS NO WAY I AM REDOING ALL OF THAT WORK. Here is the other thing... (and this is a question to any of you who have attempted the same sort of project.) Why do I have an area with these little specks where the stain did not take?



I sanded, made sure it was dry, used a tack cloth to clean it.... I just can't figure it out.

Why am I posting this? In part because I have nothing else to post. Mostly, though, I would like to offer a bit of advice:

Please do not attempt a project like this simply because you are cheap, like me. I'm sure that I could have purchased a table at Target for not much more than I spent on stain, mineral spirits, rags, brushes, and gas to the hardware store. Now, might I warn you about, the fumes? Oh yeah, and the potential to "irrevocably damage your skin, clothes, or eyes"!

Who should undertake something like this? In my humble opinion it should be someone who has little or nothing to do with their time. A person who doesn't mind the possible effects of working with these kinds of chemicals. (You know, like burning your skin off or the possibility of getting Cancer.)

So, if you fit the above criteria, have at it. Enjoy yourself. And when you are half-way through and want to strangle yourself? Don't come crying to me.

On second thought, come on over and cry. I've got a great place to sit and chat.

9 comments:

Happy Heidi said...

Hey Denise - Yes, the link to the Robin's Nest is Robin's blog. She'd love to hear from you! I love reading about your family

Corinne said...

HA!! Denise, you slay me. The table is LOVELY and I do appreciate your disclaimer :)

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

Denise,
You did a great job, you sure took on a job that I would not even attempt! You go girl! I would be scared to death, my biggest fear would have been, trying to open the container of stripper and spilling it and removing everything in sight! What an accomplishment. You amaze me! Love and hugs! Aunt Sue

hdknowles said...

It's about time you started following in your mother's footsteps. Have you forgotten the many projects I did over the years while raising you girls? If you ever start wallpapering, my life will be complete. Nice job, by the way. Don't you feel like you've really accomplished something?

Denise said...

Mom,

How can you say that it is about time I started projects? Did you see my old house in MD?

D

Kim said...

VERY impressive! I think it looks fabulous and I love the color. Glad to hear you have a place to sit. I will call you later this week to chat more. Steph is Amazing! She did such a good job!

rick and cheryl said...

Way to go! The table looks awesome. I'm sure it feels so nice to have it done-counters do get really old!

holly b said...

oooh! ahhhh! that looks fabulous. it took us quite awhile to get ourselves some real furniture too. it's probably a good thing our counter/breakfast bar only fits two chairs comfortably otherwise we'd still be sitting at it!

that is strange why the stain wouldn't soak in there. I wonder if some waxy residue melted in there deeper than the sanding could get out? was it very worn there before you stripped it?

I'm about as experienced as you are because I salvaged a salvaged table and chair set twice: the first time painted blue over a black/green stain (turned out smurfier than the spray can color) and the second time stripped and sanded. only the table got stained, the chairs I deemed too tedious at that point and they got a couple coats of white paint instead. aye yi yi. that WAS a project! the FUMES! the DUST!

And I'm sure you did save money because you have a better quality table by far! we spent around $800 for our new set and I can tell already that it won't last more than 5 years. one chair rung broke off...and my 2yo "artistically distressed" the surface with some fork holes...

CR said...

You really are hilarious and amazing! That is gorgeous, I can't imagine that you could buy anything that looks better. You are my hero.