Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fun, Fun, Fun

Somehow, with the start of Kindergarten coming, I really felt like we should have a big end of the summer blow out. We weren't really up to going on a trip, however we did do a couple of fun things.

Saturday, I promised Jackson that I would take him to the pool. This was our last opportunity to go before they closed for the summer. (Even though it is supposed to be 90 degrees today.) He was able to convince Jimmy to come. Luke, however, was napping so Jackson and I went early. It is rare that I get to do anything one on one with Jackson because he never wants to go anywhere unless his brother is coming. As we walked into the pool I thought that I should have brought my book because I wouldn't have to look after Luke and I could relax. Well, I'm glad that I didn't because I had no idea how much fun I would have.

Seriously, we had the best time. We taught each other tricks in the water and played all the games I could remember that I used to play in the pool. Then, we headed over to the water slides... As I flew down the water slides I realized that it has been WAY too long since I had fun like this. I'm talking about the kind of fun where you can't wipe the smile off of your face. Those slides were so exhilarating! Jackson really wore me out after running up the steps twenty times or so. It was great. I have to make an effort to do more things like that more often. And the fact that I was able to share the fun with Jackson made it even better.

Jackson has taken three sessions of swimming lessons this year. At the beginning of the summer, he couldn't float. Pretty much all he could do was put his face in the water. Now, he is floating, gliding, doing the front and back crawl, and working on treading. This is a very short video of him swimming. Of course, the water became WAY too shallow here, but you get the point.



Now all we have to do is work on breathing...

7 comments:

Virginia said...

What a great swimmer! I wish I had taken Alex swimming one last time this weekend. Oh well. Glad you had a great time.

Roger & Sue Hilt said...

What fun. Jackson is a great swimmer. Sounds like Denise has as much fun as Jackson. Glad you had a chance to have some one on one time together. These are precious times. Love and hugs, Aunt Sue

hdknowles said...

So when is he joining the swimming team? Any chance they have indoor swimming in your neck of the woods. He's really doing well for such a short time learning. I guess next time we speak, I'll be in jolly ole' England. Have a safe week - love, Mom

Anonymous said...

WOW what a great swimmer. Reminds me of a guy I once saw swim he was called Phelps. Keep it up. Mommy needs to have more fun times. That sounded like a great time. Love, Dad

*~Petra~* said...

That video is so cute. It is so dumb (when you live somewhere so warm) that they shut down the pool on Labor Day!

I have been thinking about a similar thing to you lately... When did we get so old that we stopped having so much fun? Sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day "have-to's" that I forget to enjoy myself. Kids get it right. They live in the moment and bask in every second of it.

Good for you for letting go and having fun :)

holly b said...

how fun is that! heck, even with my beloved fall season coming on, I'd have loved to go watersliding as a last hurrah to the summer.

Jackson's progress in one summer gives me hope for my swim lesson lacking kids. good for him!

Kim said...

What a great job!!! That is really impressive, I am sure he will get the breathing down next year. He is well on his way to starting his career like us!