Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Vaccines

As part of the usual well baby check-ups, we always have to deal with the vaccine issue. I didn't worry about vaccines much with Jackson, but I am becoming more and more aware of friends, and parents of children that I have worked with, who feel that their child was fine before a vaccine and their development stalled or regressed after a vaccine. I still believe that vaccines are crucial. They have helped to eradicate many deadly diseases from our society. But, I am still concerned. Some will say that I am an overly anxious mother or am too compulsive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So, I decided to go with a more gradual vaccine schedule for Luke. I've done a little research on vaccines and what they contain as well as the diseases that they are protecting us from. I have come to realize that doctors have very little knowledge about the additives in vaccines. They usually just say that they are very important and that they don't cause X, Y, or Z. Well, I will believe that when they prove exactly what does cause X, Y, and Z. Until then, I will be cautious with my children.

For those of you who don't know, there are new vaccines added to the recommended vaccine schedule all the time. So, Luke is supposed to get two more than Jackson did at the same age. That means at some appointments 6 vaccines for a tiny little baby. That is alot of exposure to chemicals and diseases at one time! And, to be honest, I am not concerned about my 9 month old contracting a sexually transmitted disease or Polio so I don't feel badly at all for waiting until he is older.

I have to say that after reading and researching this is one of the first times that I felt the power of being armed with knowledge. I could tell my doctor my thoughts and what I was going to do for my baby without too much of an argument because of my knowledge. That is a great feeling. If you are interested in learning more a good website is www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook.

UPDATE: (To avoid further confusion, I in no way believe that I know more than doctors know. I have been told by a couple of doctors that they don't get much, if any, training about how vaccines work or what the additives are that vaccines contain. And, this seems to be true after speaking to my current pediatritian. I reapeat, I do not know more than doctors!!!)

No comments: